Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
May be moving to DC area, no idea about what kind of outdoor recreation is nearby
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Oct 4, 2013, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 8 (3276 views)
Shortcut

May be moving to DC area, no idea about what kind of outdoor recreation is nearby
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As the title says, I may be moving from Central NY to the DC area to study at the University of Maryland. I am wondering what kind of outdoor recreation access is nearby (within say, 3 hrs). I am particularly looking for backpacking/hiking and climbing (bouldering and sport/toprope). I was looking at the Routes section and didn't find much in DC or Maryland, but Delaware and Virginia are close as well, so I'm not sure whether I missed something. How does the area compare to the accessibility/opportunities offered by the Adirondacks?

danutter

Oct 4, 2013, 7:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] May be moving to DC area, no idea about what kind of outdoor recreation is nearby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you're pretty close to the AT. And Old Rag is pretty close as well.

Climbing: MD has some arguably OK climbing, and there's Coopers Rock a few hours away. For good sport etc you're looking at Franklin Gorge (maybe 3.5-4 hours from CP) or the New (5-5.5 hours, so weekend trips). Carder Rock and Great Falls for (mediocre imo) top roping. And Safe Harbor in PA is good for a day trip for bolted routes.

HTH.

bigbear11

Oct 4, 2013, 7:09 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] May be moving to DC area, no idea about what kind of outdoor recreation is nearby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when I was down that way I didn't have much time to get outdoors, but there are some sport climbing areas on MD, VA boarder area of great falls.

There is some bouldering just west of Baltimore, there is a really good website with pics and descriptions about all the boulders in the Patapsco valley state park. Was planning on checking it out just before I moved.

Hiking in rock creek area, great falls, north of Frederick in Catoctin park is great

there are a few Earth Treks climbing gyms in MD and VA. One in Rockville is nice if you don't mind dealing with the climbing school kids.

sween345

Oct 4, 2013, 9:19 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scienceguy,

Check out this group http://www.potomacmountainclub.org/

Jim

curt

Oct 5, 2013, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danutter] May be moving to DC area, no idea about what kind of outdoor recreation is nearby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

danutter wrote:
Well, you're pretty close to the AT. And Old Rag is pretty close as well.

Climbing: MD has some arguably OK climbing, and there's Coopers Rock a few hours away. For good sport etc you're looking at Franklin Gorge (maybe 3.5-4 hours from CP) or the New (5-5.5 hours, so weekend trips). Carder Rock and Great Falls for (mediocre imo) top roping. And Safe Harbor in PA is good for a day trip for bolted routes.

HTH.

There's decent climbing much closer to DC than that--at Carderock and right across the Potomac in Virginia at Great Falls. Carderock isn't world-class climbing, but it is a decent urban crag.

Curt

kane_schutzman

Oct 29, 2013, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 8 (3083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Harper's Ferry is great for being 1 hour away. I can show you around that if you'd like.

lodi5onu

Nov 7, 2013, 2:17 AM
Post #7 of 8 (3006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] May be moving to DC area, no idea about what kind of outdoor recreation is nearby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are there any bolts at carder or great falls?

hyhuu

Nov 7, 2013, 2:26 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lodi5onu] May be moving to DC area, no idea about what kind of outdoor recreation is nearby [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lodi5onu wrote:
Are there any bolts at carder or great falls?

No bolts. They are mostly top-roping crags with some bouldering/sololing.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook