RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

antleo

Jun 3, 2014, 5:03 AM
Post #1 of 2 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Home Climbing cave..Need Ideas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am begging the design of my home climbing let call it a cave. What i have so far is shown in the image. What i would like to do is do an overhanging crack on the right hand corner from the perspective view, then have it cut around on the ceiling. Does this seem possible? Should I leave the left wall as plain vertical? Im looking for some ideas. I can build almost anything you can think of. I also attached the Rhino file if you have rhino 3D and want to mess around with what I have so far feel free. post back with it too!!

Also I know there are no top plates and foot plates, they will be put in when this is actually put up, but where not for simplicity sake.
One other question: What would you suggest for the "crash Pad" for the area?

(This post was edited by antleo on Jun 3, 2014, 5:28 AM)
Attachments: CLIMBING 1.zip (101 KB)

rocknice2

Jun 5, 2014, 3:28 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [antleo] Home Climbing cave..Need Ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The problem with a crack in a cave is that you don't get much action out of it unless you plan to extend it into the roof and then it's really steep. Which might be what you want? In the cave the climbing is very 3 dimensional. Lots of up and down with a whole bunch of traversing moves. We even have some routes that finish at the starting holds hitting almost every panel in the cave. That's the beauty of a cave, you can make really long routes or extremely intense short ones.

FWIW I didn't put one into mine because I don't plan on climbing roof cracks. If I were to do it I would have used two 2x10'S. One fixed to the side of a panel and the other floating. A seines of long bolts every 16" running up the back edge of the 2x10's would make it adjustable. Just make a bunch of shims in finger, hand and fist size that you can insert in between the two planks and tighten down the long bolts.

Real gymnasium crash pads are the way to go. Ya they are expensive but I don't need a spotter. Make sure you get the appropriate thickness and density for your cave height. I can fall from a horizontal position flat on my back without injury. There are ways to go cheap but after it's all said and done the cheap will be exactly what you paid for it. The holds alone will end up costing you a few grand. In the end my 15x15x9 cave cost about $3500

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook