RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

crashbowman

Nov 26, 2001, 1:39 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Five Ten Spires, Mojaves or Other
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Guys,
I am very new to climbing and am looking for my first pair of shoes. I don't want the cheapest pair around, but I do want them to be fairly reasonable. I was thinking under $100 that is why I have been looking at the Five Ten Spires and Mojaves. I was told I wanted a shoe with a board, but I don't really know how to tell if a shoe has one or not. Right now I will not be doing any really hard climbing and hopefully not much indoor climbing. For right now my climbing will be in Texas and it's not like there is an abundance. Thanks for your help in advance and sorry for my ignorance.

aulwes

Nov 26, 2001, 1:45 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Five Ten Spires, Mojaves or Other [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out http://www.barrabes.com
Very cheep prices on shoes!! but a bit extra for shipping. They carry most shoes.

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 26, 2001, 1:45 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spires are pretty decent shoes, La Sportiva Cobra's are good for the 99 bucks too. Many hardcore boulder's climb in the Cobra's.

lildragon

Nov 26, 2001, 10:54 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

board lasted means that the shoe will be noticeably stiffer. bend the sole of a spire and you'll notice it's much stiffer than say, an anasazi, or a mocassym. board lasted shoes are typically good for beginners because your feet won't get as tired learning good footwork, and they are typically made to be more durable. so you won't wear them out as quickly, if you drag them against abrasive rock, or inside gyms. as you develop your footwork technique, your foot muscles will strengthen, and soft shoes will become ideal. they'll let you use those muscles to grab the holds. board lasted shoes are also great for trad/multi pitch, where soft shoes will kill your feet on those long routes. soft shoes are great for sport/overhangs, and bouldering.

Partner sauron

Nov 26, 2001, 11:12 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of 5.10 Spires... Fairly good shoes for the cost.. 'course, I'm a (relative) newbie to climbing - but I like them (for now)

talons05

Nov 26, 2001, 11:21 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with the 5.10's. They will be comfortable, and hard to beat pricewise.

AW

tangboy

Nov 27, 2001, 5:20 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its all about the 5.10 anasazis... oh did you say under $100? oh never mind then... seeings anasazis run around $150! my friend got some moccasyms and he loves them and for only $100... you really can't go wrong, unless you are a heel hooker, then you might have some problems with them coming off. my little bro just got some scarpa reflexis, and he really likes those and they are only $100, but they are lace ups and dont have the C4! its all up to you man, but i say spring the extra $ and grab some anasazis... my bro LOVES EM!!!
tang

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook