RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

aulwes

Nov 29, 2001, 7:23 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Tied loop webbing V.S. Sewn runners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need to replace some of my old webbing. And I'm wondering if I should buy 1" tubular webbing or sewn runners, I have several 9/16 sewn runners and two 1" looped webbing @ 48". And I need to replace the older webbing, and I was wondering.... Is one better than the other? and if it dose, dose it make a difference. I use the runners for both trad, and TR anchors.

I'm thinking its just a matter of a difference in weight. Thanks
Sewn vs Knot?

[ This Message was edited by: aulwes on 2001-11-28 23:24 ]

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 29, 2001, 7:46 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Tied loop webbing V.S. Sewn runners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad climber is about being versatile. The more versatile you are the better.
Now, common sense would say that tied 1 inch climb spec webbing is very versatile, but having to check knots, and the bulkyness of it gets old fast, doesn't it?

Sewn runners are great, they're quick, easy, thin and work great, but they are good for girth hitching, and a sling. That is it, huh?

Well, personally, if I rack 14 runners, I would want 10 sewn for the simpleness of them, and 4 tied incase I need them.

Normally 10 sewn to 3 tied would be more then enough.

Now, if you don't double, or triple your draws up as I do, you might find it is fine to go with all tied.

Now, since I'm cheap, I would go tied for my longest ones, since it is cheaper to buy webbing then 48" slings.

climb512

Nov 29, 2001, 5:04 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like sewn, simple, neat, no knots. for the extra couple of bucks to me sewn are the way to go. i see plenty of people with knotted webbing.

addiroids

Nov 30, 2001, 6:24 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, if you can get a deal on a spool, I would recommend getting an entire spool (300' or less) of 9/16" or equivalent (1" is too big). Here's why:

Each runner is like 4' 6" long (2" tails). 10 of those is 45 feet. I like more than 10 so 15 is like 70 feet. Add in a couple of doubles and throw some short ones for draws, and you are close to 100'.

Now, I know you go climbing a lot, so the webbing usually only lasts about 1 year before it needs to be retired due to use and UV damage (I heard 120 days is a good #). The shelf life of this stuff is like 5 years (all nylon is 5 years I have heard). So in a year or two, you will have to replace most of it due to wear anyways, so that's 200' you would use.

I know you know some friends who would like a 3-5 cent discount on webbing from what they buy at the store, so you can sell them some.

That leaves you with some for a long TR anchor or web-o-lette. You save money in the long run.

Now the issue of knots. You want them to stay, but be able to become untied should you need to back up a rap station. So get out the aiders, fix a sling to a rafter or stair in your house or a tree branch, clip 1 sling to the fixed one, clip it to your harness or aiders, and bounce the mofo a few times while wearing your harness. This will tighten up the knot really well. But not so much that you can't get it out with doing the Mr. Miagi thing with the knot between your hands. Or you could just put a small stitch or two at the tails of the webbing to hold them down. Just keep an eye on them every 15-20 climbing days or so.

Now if you can prodeal a spool, that's a no brainer. Remember, you can always use webbing.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 30, 2001, 6:40 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as a side note, there are two kinds of 9/16 webbing. I believe they are called 'climb spec' and 'military spec'. The 'climb spec' looks slightly different and is much stronger. Make sure you deffinently get climb spec.

BTW, good idea about the 9/16 web there Ad. There even being 9/16 being made slipped my mind on my post earlier.

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 30, 2001, 6:40 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

accidental double post. sorry. Please delete ths.

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2001-11-29 22:41 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook