RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

baywolf

Feb 3, 2003, 7:31 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

dont sweat it!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbers have very large egos. I just read a response to a thread which said, 'i tried to avoid threads like this because of there hostile nature'. The respondent then went on to give his two cents throughout which he himself became quite hostile. NOTHING can be solved from getting pissed off on the net. I love all types of climbing, as long as your on the rock for a positive reason(not to vandalize routs)then I am ok with that. We all need to try and keep a cool head about what others write. To tell you the truth im getting tired of hearing about how trad-climbers hate sport-climbers, and how sport-climbers hate boulderers, and how boulderers hate everybody. thats nonsense. Go climb a rock.

Jared.

redpoint73

Feb 3, 2003, 7:33 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

dont sweat it! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NO!!! You are totally wrong.

cerikpete

Feb 3, 2003, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen Baywolf. And most people do agree. Some just have aggressive personalities online. Not much to be done.

vram1974

Feb 3, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as a person is humble enough to admit that they may be wrong, or that someone else may have an opinion which may differ from theirs, it's difficult to get into an argument.

For instance, I once got into a flame war over someone who said that the cost of a rope is cheap. I said, that's a subjective statement, since FOR ME $150 is an expense I find very difficult to meet. The OP insisted I was wrong, and that a rope is indeed "cheap". I should have simply let it go and said, "well, you're entitled to your opinion." Instead I got heated about it and involved mothers and insinuations involving them....

All you can do on the internet is say "in my opinion", and then if someone disagrees with you, oh well... who cares? You can't agree with everyone all of the time, and who knows? Maybe you're wrong and the other people are right. That's happened to me, too.

Partner tim

Feb 3, 2003, 7:58 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
Climbers have very large egos

Not sure if you meant this ironically, and you do sound like a for-real hardman, but it comes off like you're presenting the One True Way in the post that follows that introduction.

I'm going to submit that part of the problem here is the lack of accountability for things people say behind a screen name on the Internet. If I say something to you on rc.com, I will almost undoubtedly say it to you face-to-face. I'm not sure that everyone else here is willing to play by those rules.

My involvement in this site has been a double-edged sword; I have seen the best and worst of people thanks to it. My *personal* conclusion is that it takes a degree of responsibility and maturity that is unusual, and restraint which is unnatural, to pull it off; I'm still trying to live up to it.

This sounds like a ramble, but it's directly and concretely related to events of the past few days, off-line. I'll try and flesh out what I mean later on, I have to go now.

cerikpete

Feb 3, 2003, 8:10 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. The anonymity the Internet offers generally allows people to act in ways they usually wouldn't.

boulderingmadman

Feb 3, 2003, 8:16 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most of the time, disagreements arise from the fact that pepole dont recognize whats being posted as opinion.

many times, ive noticed, when an opinion is stated, its stated as a matter of fact. you cant read sarcasm, you cant read the chuckles a poster may be having, and you cant read tone of voice.

alot of situations would not become so heated if, first of all, everything was looked at as humourous. secondly, everything was first considered as opinion.

there cant be an argument over fact. John Gill got the FA of the Thimble. anyone wanna argue?

arguments are based on opinion, and if everyone could recognize the validity of another persons opinion, even if they dont agree with it, arguments can remain peaceful debates, with out people getting all butt-hurt over someone elses opinion...

baywolf

Feb 3, 2003, 8:26 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was rambling Tim. And i like where your coming from. I dont think this is just your average ramble though. People need to be aware of what they write and know that they can be taken seriously. I like your input.

djnibs

Feb 3, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree totally with what is being said. Climbing is climbing. Just like hockey is hockey. You make it what you want. Of course this is different diciplines (sp?) that you can choose. The idea is to have fun!!!!!

As for people posting on this site. Its a great idea, but its dangerous. You have to be carefull. Thats the thing with climbing, no two climbers can agree (not always true of course). Its a very opinionated sport. Either way, have fun, and stop arguing!!!!!

cookiecrumb

Feb 3, 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People love picthing in their 2 cents - even when it isn't needed. My post is an excellent example. People love to show others that they know stuff. There's no harm in this - one just has to be careful to distinguish between fact, opinion, and sometimes fantasy.

What is especially annoying are those people who post with the notion of stirring the pot, and those people that feel the need to boost their own egos by putting others down rather than encouraging them. They can be ignored, but they are annoying nonetheless.

Just my opinion of course.

Dave

mhr2000

Feb 4, 2003, 3:56 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about not making accusations and assumptions? This seems to play a big part in most flaming I've seen. If you have an issue with something posted, why not ask for clarification instead of filling in all the blanks for them.

rockhound71

Feb 4, 2003, 4:18 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you Baywolf. People shouldn't take things personally, because of what someone wrote or said. Climbing is great no matter what discipline you choose to follow. A friend of a friend once told her that sport climbing is for fags. I found out that before this guy started trad, he use to be a sport climber. When she told me this, I laughed and told her that I guess I was 'bi.' Personally, I would like to get into all aspects of the sport (ice, alpine, aid, trad, sport, bouldering). Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I'm not going to hold judgement against anyone based on what they think.

Casey

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook