RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

wishiwaswest

Feb 5, 2003, 3:08 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Global Extremes BS
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody else seen that Global Extremes: Everest show? I only caught one show, but it's been nagging at me. I know these "Reality" TV shows are the new thang, but pleeeeeease....choosing 5 people out of 50 to climb Everest by rock climbing in Utah, tromping in the Rockies with a bivvy at 12,500' and doing gawd only knows what in the Sahara Desert???? What the heck preparation is that for climbing Everest? Another group of 5 inexperienced, unprepared, "climbers" being short-roped by Sherpas to the top...another disaster waiting to happen. Why not get them on Rainier, Aconcagua, Denali, get them into the Himalayas, trekking, doing training climbs at altitude....show them the ropes, give them experience and weed them out in true HA mountain environments....I don't get it....drives me nuts....or am I just bored and really need to find something important to drive me nuts....

w6jxm

Feb 5, 2003, 3:17 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Global Extremes BS [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with you there. The only difference here is that I thought the comercials were dumb enough that i have never turned the program on. But from what it sounded like, just another bunch of people trying to do something in "reality" while making fools out of themselves in an attempt to commit pulic suicide.

meshuga3

Feb 5, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other reality shows can exercise a certain degree of control. This one can't. We might just be watching someone die in the next month or two. (Of course, I assume since the show made it to air, no one died and everyone had a happy summit. I wonder if we get to see them get hauled up, or if that's been left on the editing room floor?)

madriver

Feb 5, 2003, 3:31 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen the show. At least it is not the inane "No Boundries" type show where they induce personal conflicts to embarass the contestants. Anyone can pony up the $25,000.00 or whatever it osts these days to "ride" up Everest. The contestants on Global Extremes for the most part and by the judges selection are weeding out the "wannabies". Chris Warner, the owner of Earth Treks in Colombia, MD is a most capable guide and no doubt has considerable say as to who will finally make the cut. All in all I give the show a C++..

Signed...
Siskel and Ebert

dig_scott

Feb 6, 2003, 1:30 AM
Post #5 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they are only test to see who is the most fit, who has the most endurance, teamwork, problem solving, little bit about survival and the list goes on.
im not sure as to where they are going, but they will be mountain climbing, winter survival, trek across the desert of snow somewhere before going to everest. and no, the place is not in the US of A.

dig_scott

Feb 9, 2003, 7:09 AM
Post #6 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh no. oln cant fail on this. somehow they will get up the mountain, they'll find a way. hmm,, maybe they will make a tunnel to the top? idk.

wishiwaswest

Feb 10, 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #7 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had to go outta town...or is that GET...never mind...anyway....I was going to say that the show was being done in more or less real time...(is that possible?) and that they would be climbing in May of 2003 via the North Ridge. I know that Chris Warner has a good reputation in general, but to push this a little further, I find that the lure of the big $$$$, fame and the mega competition out there often leads these guiding co's to make some monumentally gross errors in judgement as to whom they should accept as clients and who they should turn down. I'm a little surprised that Warner would even get himself involved in a ridiculous scheme like this...then again, I'm sure he is getting major $$$$$$....My biggest issue is that it is people like these final 5 (who are probably in great shape for running a marathon at sea level or even at 12,000') are going to think that now that they have passed through this superfluous gauntlet, they are READY to tackle Everest, no probs. When they get their butts kicked by altitude, cold, hypoxia (if they make it past the partying at base camp) and a major storm where they cannot tell their hands from their feet, it will be the experienced, prepared climbers on the mountain who will be out there risking their lives to save these sorry souls. The moral and ethical standard should have been invoked by the guiding companies before these people ever even got a chance to set foot on the mountain.

rocknpowda

Feb 11, 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #8 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't seen the show.

I hope they all get to the top.

rockpossum

Feb 11, 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #9 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was hoping to like this program but I found it repetitive and boring. Don't really care about Everest angle either, I here it's a long cold unpleasant walk in thin air interrupted by ugly weather and occasional death.

no_limit

Feb 11, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #10 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be pretty awesome to win a free Everest trip, though.

wv5ten

Feb 12, 2003, 8:43 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is rediculous, i was going to start a thread on this (just saw the commercial) but i searched instead, glad i did. picking so many out of 12 "average" athletes (i think thats what they called them, something of the sort) to climb everest?!? whatever. The $$$ overtakes common sense sometimes.

ecocliffchick

Feb 13, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Next time you watch an episode of the show, look for the 4-runner in every scene. It's going to be the sixth member of the summit team it seems.

ecocliffchick

Feb 13, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #13 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Next time you watch an episode of the show, look for the 4-runner in every scene. It's going to be the sixth member of the summit team it seems.

totigers

Feb 13, 2003, 9:23 PM
Post #14 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Face it, it's just another population control mechanism to get rid of dummies live.

chrisp

Feb 15, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #15 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At first I thought it was pretty cool that the judges were guides themselves. It seemed that they would be able to weed out the slackers and put together their own training program. This would be better than most guides might expect.
But now, it seems to be headed the 'Survivor' route by getting the participant for voting for themselves.
That being said, I would still see the team that gets put together having a good, if not average chance of success.

reborne

Feb 15, 2003, 5:07 AM
Post #16 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off im am tottaly ignorant about this alpine summiting buisness but it seems to me these "sherpas" put most climbers to shame haulling people up as they do what is it im missing about them they use oxygen or something like that ?...???

scarecrow

Feb 15, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #17 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not a show about people ultimately getting to the top of Everest. It's all about advertising. The previous post nailed it on the head: Toyota 4-Runner.
Nothing like blatent adveritising to sour a potentially real adventure!

gyngve

Feb 15, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #18 of 18 (2696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know one of the guys in that reality show. He's climbed several routes on Rainier and climbed some of the volcanoes in Mexico and South America, I believe. Sure, 6km doesn't compare to 8km, but I think he has a decent shot at it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook