RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

wallrat

Mar 5, 2003, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2182 views)
Shortcut

telescoping ice axe
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone out there know if there is a company making telescoping axes any more? I used to have a C. Moser, and it was perfect for long mixed routes with ice and snow, like in Alaska . I'd love to have another! BTW, if you're the dude I sold mine to, can I buy it back??????

wishiwaswest

Mar 5, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2182 views)
Shortcut

telescoping ice axe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe Stubai still makes one and Pika Mountaineering and I've been hearing good things about those picks you can attach to your trekking poles...but it escapes me now who makes them...anyone used them?

daisuke

Mar 5, 2003, 5:40 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2182 views)
Shortcut

telescoping ice axe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the C. moser website (aka petzl) no longer shows it as being in production

you could always try out ebay...

chip

Mar 5, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Re: telescoping ice axe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone out there know if there is a company making telescoping axes any more? I used to have a C. Moser, and it was perfect for long mixed routes with ice and snow, like in Alaska . I'd love to have another! BTW, if you're the dude I sold mine to, can I buy it back??????

BD make a convertor for their trekking poles:

http://www.bdel.com/gear/backcountry/fl_whippet.php

but it looks kind of flimsy though, and I don't think you'd want to be using it for anything more than self arrest.

The Stubai looks interesting, though.

michael crowder
Deleted

Mar 5, 2003, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2182 views)
Shortcut

telescoping axes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have tried a couple of models that do this and have had problems with both. the problem i have is when you extend the axe and use it in a mountaineering role then collapse them to climb they have a tendancy to freeze in the collapsed position. on several occasions i ended up with the shaft of one of these axes clipped to a screw while my partner and i would be yanking on the head trying to get it extended. i usually ended up walking back to camp all hunched over using a too short axe. it also encourages you not to have that mountaineering axe which doubles as a third tool in a pinch. what would you give for a stubai with the useless circular adze? most of the time i use treking poles instead of or in addition to my mountaineering axe.
michael

Partner tim

Apr 17, 2003, 5:41 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw an old Pulsar Multi on eBay last week. That would be pretty choice for what you're asking about.

pico23

Sep 4, 2003, 7:02 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'm almost certain Mountain Technology makes one. I never get tired of playing with the design your own ice axe java script on there website when I REALLY have nothing to do. Of course I haven't been then in a long time so I don't know if they still have the cool custom axe page or the telescoping axe. MT makes some nice looking stuff and if I hadn't already invested in CM stuff I'd have been keen to give them a shot. Ah, perhaps I should start a new thread on the vertige.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook