RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

z0mb1e

Mar 13, 2003, 2:17 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Cleaning your rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did a few searches in the forums and was suprised not to find anything about this. What is the proper way to clean a rope? Mine has all kinds of black stuff on it that I think is from rubbing aganst the biners.

thanks,

hroldan

Mar 13, 2003, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Cleaning your rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, there is... i don't remember where but there is...

I remember using warm water, just a little bit warm and a soft detergent. I just washer mine and I was really surprised about how much water was needed. Lots of it!!! but now is nice and clean

loren

Mar 13, 2003, 3:09 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wash mine in my machine on gentle. You might want to tie the rope up before you put it in in order to keep it from getting tangled while it's in there. I don't, but I know others who do.

Also, I don't use detergent because I am not POSITIVE that it is not in some way caustic to my rope. Again, I know others who do use detergent. I am just a little paraniod.

I hope that helps.

loren

cascadehigh

Mar 13, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

rope cleaning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, I was told NEVER to use a washing machine to clean my ropes.
Secondly, DO NOT use soap with detergent!! Detegent is not good on the rope. This is the way I was taught to clean a rope by a few experienced climbers when I started.

I use "Woolite" non deterdent soap for all rope cleaning. Any brand of non-detergent soap should be OK, I just trust Woolite.

Find a bathtub. While running cool water, add 1/2 to 3/4 of a cap full of the non detergent soap. Fill the tub 1/4 full. Make sure the soap is well mixed. Throw the rope in. I let mine soak for about 10 minutes before washing. Start at one end and pull the rope through a closed fist while keeping the rope under water. Work your way to the end and repeat 4 times or until the rope looks better and your bathtub looks filthy. Drain the dirty water out and rinse the rope with cool water. Fill the tub 1/4 full again and run the rope through your hands the same way to clean off any soap. I usually do this 3-4 times. To dry,I place a long towel over the top of a door in the house. I then drape the rope over the door and let it dry. I usually let it dry for about 4 days.

30 bucks for this rope washer, simple and can you say easy!!!!!!!
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/SMC300

Hope this helps, Happy climbing, Shane

sharpie

Mar 13, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ropes should be washed in cool water preferably by hand in a bathtub with a large soft brush, but the gentle or delicate cycle of a washing machine can also work. Wash with a mild chemical-free soap, rinse well, and spread to air-dry out of sunlight. Or, you can use specialized rope cleaning solutions, like Beal Rope Cleaner, and rope brushes. DO NOT dry ropes in a dryer, in direct sunlight, or above a heat source. :wink:

ontario_guide

Mar 13, 2003, 5:10 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use two buckets. In the first bucket I put the rope in water and let it sit for about half an hour. Then (because I'm poor and can't afford any fancy equipment) I flake the rope into the second bucket squeezing it through my hands to get any extra dirt out. I then dump the water in the first bucket and repeat... Make sure you sure you don't put your rope away wet. Hang it to dry for a day or so. I hang mine in the basement running back and forth from the celing so as to avoid the sunlight which is hard on your rope. That rope washer sure looks neat though!

tori

Mar 14, 2003, 7:54 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used a front loading machine at the laundry mat, front loading because there is no center thing to tangle the rope around, but first, run a cycle of just water or your clothing with woolite only, this will get bleach out of the machine that may be left behind from the person before you, then inspect the inside to make sure it is smooth and not broken jagged edges of metal, then add rope, a little woolite, and use warm or cold, not hot, i ran a second time with just water to rinse it very clean. and the rope worked at the crag!! thank god. i tried the bathtub method but did not really get the rope too clean that way. none of this information is from any source other than the experienced climbers i know, and what i did, so try to learn more if you want, but i am happy with my results, now if i can stay out of accidents in north american mountaineering for another year that will be conclusive evidence.

duskerhu

Mar 14, 2003, 10:09 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "bath-tub" or "bucket" methods are the most cost efficient and don't damage your rope (actually, I'll say no chance to damage your rope unless you use a harsh detergent or dry it in the sun).

If you're looking for a rope brush, this one is a bit cheaper ($12.49 + 4.95 shipping {shipping covers ALL items that you buy at once}) than $30...

You can also use washing machines... A front loader is best but you can use a top loader on "delicate" if you put the rope in a mesh bag or daisy chain it. The mesh bag works the best and I'd advise you to use the mesh bag for the front loader too. It just doesn't get as tangled.

Do NOT use any type of detergent or soap of a regular sort. Use plain water or if the rope is really dirty, use about 4 capfuls of Woolite (1/2 or 3/4 of a cap isn't going to do you any good).

My preference... I use the bathtub method... I use luke cold (meaning cool but not icey cold) water about 5 or 6 inches deep with 4 capfuls of Woolite and put the rope in and let it sit for an hour (this is on a dry rope, a standard non-dry won't take as long to soak and loosen up the dirt)...

When its soaked for a while, I'll run the entire length of the rope through my hands one time, making 3 or 4 strokes over a section of about a foot or foot and a half at a time and then sliding down the rope to the next foot and a half section.

Drain the water and rinse VERY thouroughly with cool water. You can advance the drying process by using an old towel and wrapping it on your hand as you run your hand over the length of the rope again. This should absorb a great deal of water out of the rope.

Now finish the drying by hanging the rope in a cool dry area NOT in sunlight. I loop mine over the shower curtain and its usually dry within 24 hours.

Good luck...

duskerhu

luke

Mar 14, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just one quick point about using a machine. If the machine you use is regularly filled with detergents or bleach then you should run the machine empty a couple of times to rinse it out. I have read a bunch of research on what kills rope fibers and bleach was one of the all around worst.

I have used both hand washing (bathtub of water and a "Dobi" brand rope brush) and machine (chained rope, gentle cold cycle). The rope felt and handled better after hand washing, but the machine wash was OK.

gretchino

Mar 14, 2003, 5:21 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/cmi-rope-washer.htm

I've never used one of these, but have been told they work great and don't do the nasty damage washing machines can do...you just hook it up to your hose...

vegastradguy

Mar 14, 2003, 5:52 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sterling rope wash & a bath tub. works for me. i usually do it when i can let the thing dry for like...3 days.

easysteve

Mar 14, 2003, 5:54 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Easy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook