Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Mar 5, 2003, 5:13 PM
Post #26 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

March climbing in MN. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ummm curt, would that be Mike Farris?

No. Mike's boulder is actually named after Mike Jacobs, one of the strongest Minnesota climbers of the 1970s. Mike still lives in Minnesota but I understand he no longer climbs much, if at all. Mike (I believe) also placed the one old bolt above the center route on the boulder--but was unable to complete the problem.

The problem was first done years later by Chris Eklund--and I did the second ascent. There is a nice picture of Chris repeating this route in John Sherman's "Stone Crusade."

Mike's younger brother, Mark Jacobs, however is still climbing strong. Mark has been a regular climbing partner of mine since 1980. He currently lives in Oregon.

Curt

rocksolid

Mar 6, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #27 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys! After almost two weeks out with a sore neck (which, thanks to a little rest and a LOT of pain pills, feels much better – finally!), I am ready for a little climbing. Are any of you planning on climbing on Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday?

Craig

fo_d

Mar 6, 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #28 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a slim possibility I could go Fri night, I'll know later.

Les

gymclimbfreak

Mar 6, 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #29 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dann I knwo you climbed more than i did and climb harder routes than I do.. You've also been climbing longer.. But I figured it was my turn to give you some sh*t.. if you could call it that.. and yes as dann stated he was tying into the rope.. even though it's hard to tell.

Tim

fo_d

Mar 7, 2003, 1:04 AM
Post #30 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Craig, I just talked to Dann, I was tring to make it Fri night to VE but that fell through, so we are going Sat, 5-9 in case you want to hook up with us.

Les

rocksolid

Mar 7, 2003, 3:05 AM
Post #31 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Les,

I have dinner plans with a friend on Saturday night, but am not sure when. I will have to see what time she wants to meet, and if it's later, I will join you and Dann. I'll PM you if I am going to make it. Otherwise I will most likely join you guys some night next week.

Have a great weekend!
Craig

duskerhu

Mar 7, 2003, 6:44 AM
Post #32 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, if anyone is interested, I'm going to be at VE Friday night with andymatter who is in town from Ontario, Canada.

Craig, you're sure welcome to join us... (as is anyone else)

And as Les mentioned, we're gonna be there Saturday eve as well so, come on out if you want (Saturday is about the best night to climb as it is usually not very busy).

duskerhu

rocksolid

Mar 7, 2003, 6:08 PM
Post #33 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dann - thanks for the invite for tonight, but I just made plans to meet some friends in Uptown around 8:00. Bummer. :( But I will definitely be at VE tomorrow (for a couple hours, at least). I'll probably get there between 4 and 4:30, and will do some light bouldering before you guys get there. I'll see you guys then!

Craig

rocksolid

Mar 7, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #34 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, scrach my previous note... Tomorrow's plan have just changed drastically (which they tend to do) - instead of doing a late dinner at some trendy restaurant, some other friends have invited my friend Jen and me over to their place for dinner - at 6:00. So the VE thing is not going to work. Looks like I'll have to wait until next week. Monday is up the air right now, but are you climbing on Wednesday Dann? If you are, just throw up a post.

Have fun tomorrow guys!
Craig

duskerhu

Mar 8, 2003, 7:36 AM
Post #35 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm. Monday, yes at VE... Wednesday, probably but check back as we closer to Wednesday and I'll let you know for sure Craig...

Tonight at VE was great! andymatter and his friend/trainer/co-worker Brent and I got in LOTS of routes... Why? 'cus it was pretty darn quiet in there compared to most nights!

Andy is a very good guy and will be on his way back to Ontario Saturday morning. Hopefully someday he'll make it back down to this section of the woods (or we'll make it up to his) and we'll climb together again.

His friend/trainer/co-worker Brent resides in the cities here and was a climber in his earlier days. Had to quit for a while when, on lead, he got his arm wrapped in the rope somehow and then fell, rupturing his bicep. OUCH!!! He climbed some pretty stiff routes at VE for having not climbed for about 5 years. Anyway, I told him anytime he thought he might want to get back into climbing, to call or look me up here and we'd be happy to climb with him.

OK, Saturday, fo_d & family (I think) and me too will be at VE from about 5 to 9pm if anyone wants to forget about the snow and do a bit-o-climbing!

Man, that'll be 4 days this week I was at VE. I'm gonna be mush Monday night. Oh well, gotta get me in shape for Josh!

duskerhu

rocksolid

Mar 8, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #36 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow Dann! Four days this week - you are a machine!

fo_d

Mar 8, 2003, 5:42 PM
Post #37 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup Dann, the family is coming with tonight. Snow? What snow? That aint snow, thats just a dusting, I think we're gonna get clobbered this month but I hope I'm wrong. BTW they at talking low 40's by Friday.

ttyl

Les

lightboi

Mar 9, 2003, 1:13 AM
Post #38 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

josh is almost done hibernating. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, after spending a winter trying to save up PTO time at work, and failing to build my climbing wall. I see that my magic number is in the weather forcast. ITS GONNA BE 40!!!!!!!!!!!. I went through my rack today, touched all my cams, and gropped my rope for soft spots. I am ready to climb. Yet another winter spent sitting on my duff. I think i only pulled plastic twice, once when a friend came in from outta town, and while on vacation in England.

REI dividend came today, and it was big, I spent a lotta cash last year there, and now the wife knows it.(insert scary music here) I have been banned from buying new gear untill further notice. I took stock of my shoes and realised that I forgot to send them away to be resoled. OOPS....to late, looks like either i suffer through another season with holes in my shoes, or i break down and buy a new pair. hmmm new shoes or more aliens? I only have one dividend check. Lifes tough questions.

I have thurs-sun off this week, any and all days where the magic number is reached, I now publicly commit to climbing all 4 days. I gotta get into shape, bad.

come out and laugh at my now almost white skin, and utter lack of crimper strentgh. Winter wall will be the place, time to be determined by partners.

any takers?
josh

fo_d

Mar 9, 2003, 4:00 AM
Post #39 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet I could talk Dann into going Friday, but I think hes got the kids this weekend so he'd probly have to bail by 3:30 but I could stay till 4:30ish. I'll talk to Dann Sunday night.

Les

pelliott

Mar 9, 2003, 5:59 AM
Post #40 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear rumors that it might hit 50 this week. If so, I will be at Red Wing on Saturday next weekend. Hopefully Craig, and Todd and maybe Kurt will join me.

duskerhu

Mar 9, 2003, 9:20 AM
Post #41 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I donknow guys... sounds like I might be climbing 4 days again this coming week... The regular Monday night and Wednesday night at VE, Friday morning with Les and Josh at the Bluff, and Jeff wants me to go to TF Saturday. I don't know how long my body can take that kind of punishment.

I might have to see what I can do about getting Grandma to take the girls next weekend. Ah, they been wanting to sleep over at her new condo anyway. 8)

Well, I won't be able to commit to anything other than Monday and Wednesday until later in the week. I'll see what I can do about it...

duskerhu

pelliott

Mar 10, 2003, 4:36 AM
Post #42 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could be persuaded to switch my plans to Taylors Falls instead of Red Wing for Saturday.

rockhugger

Mar 11, 2003, 2:48 AM
Post #43 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoo hoo!!! Taylors Falls!!!! If it it doesn't rain I'll be there at 8:00.

lightboi

Mar 11, 2003, 5:04 AM
Post #44 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Count me in....ill be a little later than 8. Which side of river is sunny then.....honstely never been there that early

josh

duskerhu

Mar 11, 2003, 9:46 AM
Post #45 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, Les and I are looking at probably about 10am Friday morning at Barn Bluff. If anyone is interested, we'll wait in the lot for a few minutes, otherwise, you can find us up stairs; maybe starting on Sunburst or over on Winter Wall.

How bout you Josh? You still up for Friday?

Anyone else is also welcome! Come on out! My weather machine here at the airport (hope this doesn't jinx me...) says in the neigborhood of 55 to 60 both Friday and Saturday, partly sunny for Friday, mostly sunny for Saturday...

Lets hope it actually gets there!

duskerhu

lightboi

Mar 13, 2003, 4:14 AM
Post #46 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

count me in....and ill try to drag someone of the female persuasion along...maybe even the wife too

josh

bentsid

Mar 13, 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #47 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I may be visiting friends in Red Wing this summer. Is there a web site for the local climbing? Where's the nearest crag or gym?

Appreciate any beta...

Thanks,
BentSid

pelliott

Mar 14, 2003, 4:49 AM
Post #48 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your not butting in at all and you came to the right spot. I don't know of a site with specific information about Red Wing climbing, but there is a group of us who climb there all the time that go almost every weekend. This is our monthly posting site for where and when we will be climbing.

duskerhu

Mar 14, 2003, 5:56 AM
Post #49 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bentsid, the nearest crag to Red Wing is Barn Bluff which is right in Red Wing... About 130 bolted sport routes and a few mixed (partial gear/bolts) and some cracks that have top anchors but will require a top-rope or to be led. The RC.com routes DB section is here.

The nearest gym to Red Wing is about an hour north in St. Paul. Their website is here and some of us are members there so, let us know if you want to go.

This is the best place to contact MN climbers... There are quite a few of us on RC.com. and feel free to post here or PM any of us if you are going to be in MN and want to do some climbing or need someone to hang with. Red Wing is the spot the we frequent most (because its closest) and also Taylors Falls. Also feel free to check out the Minnesota Page and at the bottom you can find our monthly thread (except for this one; 'cus of the website changes).

OK, Les and I ARE going to be at Barn Bluff in Red Wing Friday morning 3/14... Hey Josh, glad to hear you can make it... We'll be there at 10 sharp... I know that may be a little early for you so, come on up when you can and we'll see ya there. Anyone else that's thinking about it, well, c'mon out. Highs are supposed to be in the mid 50's and Saturday is supposed to maybe rain. Next week they are talking SNOW again for the middle of the week.

See ya all there...
duskerhu

bentsid

Mar 14, 2003, 6:16 PM
Post #50 of 67 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all for the info and links!
TRYING to get out there this spring but the wallet says no... :(

Just an observation from my last visit....does it drive you nuts trying to predict what roads to avoid because of flooding?

Beautiful area, though....Thanks again.

BentSid

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook