RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ladybug84105

Mar 19, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #1 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Suggestions please?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am interested in learning to climb and would appreciate any information or suggestions that you may all have. I would also be interested if anyone could show me the ropes or doesn't mind working with beginning climbers. I don't really have the money to pay for private lessons.

crack_head

Mar 19, 2003, 1:03 AM
Post #2 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Suggestions please? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go to your local gym and start climbing... a lot. You will meet some people there and can learn from them.

ladybug84105

Mar 19, 2003, 1:08 AM
Post #3 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks but I thought that I had to have a partner to start climbing...

sroehlk

Mar 19, 2003, 1:14 AM
Post #4 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Na, you can always start bouldering.

vulgarian

Mar 19, 2003, 1:19 AM
Post #5 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like life, no partner is needed. You can begin by showing up at the gym, and "bouldering" (climbing without a rope on lower to the ground climbs).
Then as most people find out, you will meet people, advance to climbing on the roped sections and even go climbing outside.

ladybug84105

Mar 19, 2003, 1:29 AM
Post #6 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I'm just worried about showing up and feeling like I'm a fool... Stupid I know. Do I need any gear for boldering?

ladybug84105

Mar 19, 2003, 1:30 AM
Post #7 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, I have a six year old daughter, Can she do it with me???

markf

Mar 19, 2003, 1:43 AM
Post #8 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing shoes would be a big help for you and your 6 year old. Most gyms will rent shoes and harnesses.

Most climbing gyms offer some kind of orientation lessons to beginners, teaching you how to put on a harness, tie the rope to your harness, and belay another climber. It won't prepare you for outdoor climbing, but it will give you a chance to see if you really want to pursue this game without investing too much money and time.

vulgarian

Mar 19, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #9 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Six year olds love to climb. They usually like just running around and jumping on the big pads. Mine don't take the sport too seriously, as they shouldn't. For them it's just a fun diversion, like the park.

All you will need is some shoes and a chalkbag. Buy the chalkbag for a minimum investment of $25. Don't forget to pick up chalk - $2. As for the shoes, rent them for a while until you decide you need to have your own.

As for looking like a fool. While climbers generally have ego, there are few who judge other climbers, and most are eager to help or offer advice. The biggest fools in the gym are those standing around afraid of looking like a fool. They should be having fun and learning. Advanced climbers take their turns with newbies and even offer impromptu technique lessons.

Wear loose comfortable clothes for movement. Have fun.

drkodos

Mar 19, 2003, 6:33 PM
Post #10 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Purchase, read, and study:

How to Rock Climb by John Long
Freedom of the Hills
Climbing Anchors John Long
Bsic Rockcraft Royal Robbins

Next:

Go outside and find some rocks to climb!

broker

Mar 19, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #11 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be afraid of trying. I've only been climbing a little over a year. I started at a gym. going by myself with no partner. I quickly learned that climbers are some of the least judging and most helpful people you can meet. If you have a ? just walk up to someone and ask them for some help. Be carefull, climbing is extremly addictive and the people you meet will turn into close friends.

boulderingmadman

Mar 20, 2003, 7:01 AM
Post #12 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, heres the deal with most climbers--

first, most of us are still "learning" ourselves. even someone as old and experienced and technically perfect as john gill will tell you he hasnt learned yet...we learn every time we climb. thats what will keep you coming back after a frustrating day :D

secondly, since we ourselves are still learning through experience and even other climbers, its a pleasure to sometimes play the role of "instructor" by pointing a few things out to others. its almost worth just for the looks on their faces the first time it "clicks".

lastly, and this is obviously not universal, but mainly true, most climbers enjoy the experience of your first success story as you do. we "pros'{term used very loosely} remember our first successes and take pleasure in helping you acheive yours...again, just the look on your face is almost worth it.

these three semi-facts make climbers some of the most helpful and friendly "athletes"{again, term used very loosely} youll meet at the beginning of learning...

ps--she just turned four on 3/13 and has been climbing with me for just under a year :D. she loves climbing almost as much as i do...
http://boulderingmadman.tripod.com/131581a0.jpg

bakedjake

Mar 21, 2003, 8:44 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy $hit :shock: don't do it!!!! You poor lost soul!!!! It's an extremely dangerous sport wrought with horror and disaster and can only lead you down the path of inevitable demoralization. Climbing also leads to heavier drugs like marijuana and tequila. The best that can happen?, speech diversion, sir,madam and hey you! become yo dude or yo dudette. The worst?, Climber Demoralization Syndrome. This is a disease endemic to climbers. There has recently been discovered a mutant variation of this disease that is now infecting boulder's by the thousands. Once infected you will find your body doing strange things and exhibiting wierd behavioural patterns.

Some of the physical symptoms:
*callousy growths on digits
*acute whitening of the hands and fingers
*dehydration leading to excessive alcohol intake

Some of the phychological/behavioural symptoms:
*speaking in tongues - hopefully one of our diseased rogues out there can post a few examples of this phenomenon so you may recognize it in due order. But it includes such verbs and nouns as send, rad, crux, and lots of numbers
*behavioual foot disorder - hard to explain but the infected for some unknown reason force their feet into growth restraining devices. Some of the more highly infected regard the pain it causes as enjoyable.
* many infected have been known to give up thier worldly possesions and drive off into the desert, shunning society to live in a tent eating ramen and becoming alcoholics
*friends start shunning you because of your myoptic conversation

We at the Climber Demoralization Syndrome Association ask you to take this problem seriously and to do the most you can to help the thousands of infected. How can you best help...DONATE, that's right we need your money and we need it desperately. Think of them, the infected those who may be beyond the point of no return like little lox, rrrradam and poor pianomahn, but whose suffering can be alleviated with proper meds. :wink:

No, seriously, keyword - spandex, it's like a superman outfit. Seriously, the brighter the more super powers it has. Wear a black one and you'll be able to climb up to but not over a 5.6, but put on a flourescent green one on and you'll be able to jump over buildings with a single bound. If you're a guy chicks really, really dig dudes in flourescent spandex.

Tips and Hints

*Ask a lot of shoe questions - climbers never tire of shoe questions, seriously, post a shoe thread and see for yourself
*Learn proper terminology, send, pro, bomber, rad, evil wicked happens to be one of my favorites. Once I learned the word "evil wicked" my climbing ability jumped a complete decimal point.
*chalk, lots of chalk
*proper hydration, drink plenty of amber before, during and after climbing
*post, posting makes you a better climber
*really cool signatures
*fall - practice falling as frequently as you can. Anytime spent falling will only increase your overall falling skills. Fall at work, at home, while waiting for a table at a restuarant, heck I even fall on the train on my commute to and from work. Practice all the falling techniques you can, from a standing position, a chair, your office desk, wherever you find time and space...fall.

Just go the the gym and get it over with. Thats what I did. You're going to be surprised at how naturally aggresive us climbers are at making acquaintances. You'll be fine.

I started with an inexpensive $60.00 2 session lesson so I could learn belaying. I recommend you do that so that you can reciprocate the belay and greatly increase your odds of finding partners. The $60.00 also included shoes, harness, chalk, etc., and as a small class we all were forced to introduce ourselves and the ball just kept rolling.

So once again "Just go and get it over with". NOW!

Partner wideguy

Mar 21, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto what everyone has said. I'm a newbie myself and have found this one of the most oddly inclusive sport communities out there. Come one come all, come down it's my turn! A class at a gym is a good way to learn basics. Then you can offer yourself as a "belay slave," but slaves always get to climb too, so it's a win-win. :D

Also, lurking here is not too bad. I've made contact with several people in my area who have offered to show me around either in a gym or on real rock. So far I've only gotten to take one guy up on his offer, but more await. Check out the forums for threads specific to your area. If money is a real issue just showing up at a gathereing, preferebly with food or coffee, might be all it takes. Just be friendly and you're set. Seems like most people in this sport feel they can never have enough potential partners and they don't mind grooming their own.

If you don't have any luck, move to Massachusetts. Works like a charm here apparently. :lol:

wigglestick

Mar 21, 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In towns like SLC, it can be hard to find partners because there is a higher number of climber per capita than in say, Ohio. Everybody who climbs already has a pretty good network of partners and aren't super hungry for more. That being said, you might just have to be more aggressive in meeting people. Go to the gym, talk with people. Post a note on the bulletin board looking for partners. Having a child might be a plus in the situation because there could be other people who have children and want to meet others so you can share the child herding duties while climbing. Visit the climbing shops and get to know people and just be honest about your abilities and your desire to learn. There are undoubtedly people around in the same or similar situations that would love to find a new climbing partner. You just have to find them!!

Also there is a gathering in Moab in April and that might be a good opportunity to meet some more people and get some experience.

Good luck.

mhr2000

Mar 22, 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #16 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe going to the gym solo works in larger cities, but it was a strike out for me. I had some fun bouldering around and got a few people to swap belay, but it totally sucks trying to go by yourself and rely on finding consistant partners. I tried not to feel out of place, but that's hard to do when everyone else has a partner and your basically walking around like a stray dog hoping somebody will swap belays. Then you feel guilty everytime you fall or need to take a break because your taking up some strangers time. The final thing was the age difference, most everyone there was around 12 with their parents belaying them. And no the parents were not climbers because none were attempting any routes and none of them even remotely looked like climbers. The few that were around 15-16 were acting more childish then any of the 12 year olds. I belayed one of the 15 year olds and when done he walked off without even a slight hint of an offer to return the belay, typical punk.

Anyway, just thought I would give another outlook on gym climbing. Just remember, I'm in a suckbutt town with suckbutt people and suckbutt climbing.

boulderingmadman

Mar 22, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #17 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what does a climber look like??? i mean, i see ppl all the time out at the happies that dont "look like climbers", but they send pretty hard shit somet5imes...

mhr2000

Mar 22, 2003, 11:42 PM
Post #18 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's kind of silly bman.... of course it's easy to tell if someone is definately not a climber. Maybe not at first sight (which I never claimed). Simply by watching people you can figure it out. Not that difficult even for a newbie. Of course, them wearing street shoes makes it a bit easier also. And I don't want to hear that a lot of climbers wear street shoes, because that's BS! and you know it. Maybe some do, but I'm not gonna argue against a 2% chance.

ladybug84105

Mar 23, 2003, 12:00 AM
Post #19 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Wow! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, I am so impressed at how many people have offered advice. Incidentally I did go to take a basic safety class, and I now know how to belay. WOO HOO!!!! Also, I would so love to go to Moab, but I just don't know. When is the gathering again? Also, no gear, is there a place that I can rent it from there?

Thanks again for all the help.

rockzen

Mar 23, 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #20 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe I'm just worried about showing up and feeling like I'm a fool... Stupid I know. Do I need any gear for boldering?

Don't worry about it... I feel like a fool all the time. :lol: I have found most experienced climbers are very helpful and encouraging. If they see that you're new, they will likely give you a couple pointers now and then.

As for gear... just shoes and chalk.

Have fun...
RockZen

rockzen

Mar 23, 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #21 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wow! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wow, I am so impressed at how many people have offered advice. Incidentally I did go to take a basic safety class, and I now know how to belay. WOO HOO!!!! Also, I would so love to go to Moab, but I just don't know. When is the gathering again? Also, no gear, is there a place that I can rent it from there?

Thanks again for all the help.

Oh yes... it is next to the popsicle stand. You'll know it when you see it... lol...

You might want to consider investing in the basics... it would likely be way more comfortable!

RockZen

ladybug84105

Apr 6, 2003, 6:33 AM
Post #22 of 22 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good news... I got my gear, (harness, shoes chalk bag) and some great pointers for bouldering and climbing... Working a bit on my technique... Just wanted to say thanks to all that gave suggestions..

Bobbi

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook