Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Do You Want to Be a Full-Time Climber????
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

enigma

Apr 4, 2003, 7:30 AM
Post #1 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Do You Want to Be a Full-Time Climber????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

--Sleeping under the stars, around the campfires at night.
Waking up to decide which climbs will be done that day.Smelling the clean fresh mountain air, climbing all the routes you want.
Then going to the next destination ,seeing old friends, having rest days hanging in coffee houses,checking e-mails ahh, the life.style. :idea:

8) So do you think you would be happier living the full-time climber life
And why?? :?:

I'm thinking yes for myself. Less stress,feeling good but I'm not sure I could do it forever.You get tired too. :roll:

onelung

Apr 4, 2003, 7:41 AM
Post #2 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Do You Want to Be a Full-Time Climber???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I could maintain the life I now have.....Hell Yea! In a heart beat.
Why because now I DO work outside but only half the month, SO I am close, If I could just stay on the right side of those 15 off I would...I have no trouble keeping myself busy and challenged.
So my other option is do well in life so I can pay myself to just climb.

Hope that ansered the Q!

Cheers,
Bill

benkiessel

Apr 4, 2003, 7:42 AM
Post #3 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why would i want to be a full time climber? well because i could climb full time, and not have to work.

duskerhu

Apr 4, 2003, 8:08 AM
Post #4 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So do you think you would be happier living the full-time climber life
And why??

YES!

Because...

enigma

Apr 4, 2003, 8:11 AM
Post #5 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
So do you think you would be happier living the full-time climber life
And why??

YES!

Because...

Then why are we on the internet instead of being at the campfire crag, :?:

onelung

Apr 4, 2003, 8:18 AM
Post #6 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I spent the day climbing and The nights I spend reading to get ready for My big Trip to the Valley....in 5 weeks! OOOOHHHHH Baby, Billy is gonna have some fun!!!!!!!

Then I will spend 2 weeks living as pro climber....3 if I can talk my wife into flying over and staying in my tent.

I havent closed the window above my bed since Sept 1992. It as close I come every night to being under the stars.

Cheers,
Bill

why73

Apr 4, 2003, 8:47 AM
Post #7 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep... and i am less than a week from being unemployed and enjoying the life a traveler i will have to do alot of climbing.... thank you congress for giving me another 26 weeks of unemployment...making it a year... whooooo

theooze

Apr 4, 2003, 10:50 AM
Post #8 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My best friends and coolest people I know are all basically full-time climbers. Only way to go.

Get into guiding. Or come work for me. Oops! No positions open. But you know what? Both of my full-time guys I met through RC.com. So maybe the site isn't a total waste of time.

Kids - I am looking for interns this year. No pay, but free cabin space on the mountain. You get to hang with half-a-dozen very good and committed climbers. Easy work that includes patrolling the crag, then spend evenings and time off climbing, walking slacklines, playing horseshoes and drinking beer in a beautiful setting.

Hell, you should pay me!

Stu
www.nelsonrocks.org

arrrghjp

Apr 4, 2003, 11:10 AM
Post #9 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I already consider myself a full time climber, even though I don't live at the crags. Part of the enjoyment of climbing on my part, is the training, the planning of the next trip, getting my kids involved as much as possible, and just waiting for the weekend. I don't think climbing would be nearly as enjoyable for me if it was something I did on a daily basis. I must admit I would like the time for an extended trip every now and then. My wife and I have been checking out ticket prices to Aust. and would love to spend about a month at Arapiles.

theooze

Apr 4, 2003, 11:28 AM
Post #10 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check this out - the story of a full-time climber:
http://www.wvclimbing.com/news/flynbrian.html

ezjay40

Apr 4, 2003, 12:54 PM
Post #11 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My best friends and coolest people I know are all basically full-time climbers. Only way to go.

Get into guiding. Or come work for me. Oops! No positions open. But you know what? Both of my full-time guys I met through RC.com. So maybe the site isn't a total waste of time.

Kids - I am looking for interns this year. No pay, but free cabin space on the mountain. You get to hang with half-a-dozen very good and committed climbers. Easy work that includes patrolling the crag, then spend evenings and time off climbing, walking slacklines, playing horseshoes and drinking beer in a beautiful setting.

Hell, you should pay me!

Stu
www.nelsonrocks.org

Hay oz :I thought we were paying you :?: {why am I always the last to now thezz things} :wink:
Hay I'm a EMT dozz that count... anyway I what to be a Cowboy Baby Baby

crazee

Apr 4, 2003, 1:14 PM
Post #12 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

- [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that there is a lot more to life than climbing , although I do love it with an undying passion , I know my mind for one would need quite a bit more intellectual stimulation . Also I do agree with the saying :
'' Absence makes the heart grow fonder " in that half the fun of climbing is actually training and anticipation for the next climb , and by climbing daily it would take some of the enjoyment out .

Cheers , and thanks for posting the forum , it was a good one !

duskerhu

Apr 4, 2003, 1:19 PM
Post #13 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Then why are we on the internet instead of being at the campfire crag?

Well, my "Because" was basically the short answer... I didn't want to have to go into the reasons behind not being a "full-time" climber right now. So, here's the short version of the excuse...

First, I wish I'd started climbing in my teens. If I had, my life would be WAY different right now. In short, I have responsibilities that I'd imagine match those of a lot of climbers my age. KIDS... Two little girls, 4 and 7 who I love very much and who still haven't really gotten over why daddy doesn't live with them anymore. They are the only real reason I feel I must stay in Minnesota for the time being. Hopefully in a few years when they are a little older I'll feel a bit more comfortable breaking camp and moving west. Of course they will come stay with daddy often when that happens (the 7 year old already has a jonesin' for Colorado :D ) but until then, I'm stuck in MN climbing the short crags when I can and taking road trips a few times a year.

Someday, I will become a full-time climber in the literal scense. For now, I'll just have to take the route of arrrghjp
In reply to:
I already consider myself a full time climber, even though I don't live at the crags. Part of the enjoyment of climbing on my part, is the training, the planning of the next trip, getting my kids involved as much as possible, and just waiting for the weekend.

Live Free!
Play Hard!
Climb On!

duskerhu

dirko

Apr 4, 2003, 1:27 PM
Post #14 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pierre sez: "Ou est l'argent? Je suis triste parce que je n'ai pas du pain! J'aime beaucoup l'escalade mais j'ai tres faim!"

theooze

Apr 4, 2003, 1:49 PM
Post #15 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
anyway I what to be a Cowboy Baby Baby

Call me Tex!

I ain't no cheat, I'm just a regular failure.
Right straight outta Compton? I'm straight out da trailer.

ezjay40

Apr 4, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #16 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
anyway I what to be a Cowboy Baby Baby

Call me Tex!

I ain't no cheat, I'm just a regular failure.
Right straight outta Compton? I'm straight out da trailer.

I'm just a regular guy!! I can't believe u a failure at anything

Put any hoot :on the other hand, think of full time climbers wishing they had ur life. Like a pay check, Health insur. Family. grass does look greener on the other side. I really don't what to pop anyone's bubble.Just take the best and leave the rest. Blaze on..

alpnclmbr1

Apr 4, 2003, 9:28 PM
Post #17 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Then why are we on the internet instead of being at the campfire crag,"
Because you have let society trick you into doing what it wants you to do as opposed to doing what you really need to do live life to its fullest.

People get trapped by their own misconceptions of what they truly need in life. Society trains us pretty well, it is pretty hard to break those kind of shackles. Raising a child is about the only thing I can think of that would be worth those sacrifices. I started going that way once but I am back where I started from.(no kids)
Being a fulltime bum give you the space and freedom to live life on your own terms.

So anyway I spent a few years on the road and have been mostly off the road for six months now. Spent four of the last five weeks hanging out with friends who are still living the roadtrip life completely because I couldn’t take the city anymore.
My friends are doing it pretty hardcore: no car, no home but they eat good quality free food out of a dumpster and hitch rides from crag to crag. They also play a lot of chess and practice yoga and meditation.

I can’t live as cheap anymore, I want my car, I need to keep my health insurance. I am coming up on a big choice, keep the job I have now which I can do on the road, or take a job that pays a lot more but doesn’t have the flexibility to allow me to travel and climb. It would let me take extended trips to europe and take care of retirement needs.

Sure you get tired of being on the road, but it doesn’t take long living in the city to realize that you would rather be hanging out in a more natural environment.
Miguel (KY.) felt that people spending all winter at his place were wasting their lives. I think he is wrong. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that nobody can pay me enough for me to give them my life in exchange. One of the advantages of living in today’s society is that we do have a choice. Live for today and tomorrow will take care of itself. Time is all you have in life, spend it wisely.

enigma

Apr 4, 2003, 9:34 PM
Post #18 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Then why are we on the internet instead of being at the campfire crag,"
Because you have let society trick you into doing what it wants you to do as opposed to doing what you really need to do live life to its fullest.

People get trapped by their own misconceptions of what they truly need in life. Society trains us pretty well, it is pretty hard to break those kind of shackles. Raising a child is about the only thing I can think of that would be worth those sacrifices. I started going that way once but I am back where I started from.(no kids)
Being a fulltime bum give you the space and freedom to live life on your own terms.

So anyway I spent a few years on the road and have been mostly off the road for six months now. Spent four of the last five weeks hanging out with friends who are still living the roadtrip life completely because I couldn’t take the city anymore.
My friends are doing it pretty hardcore: no car, no home but they eat good quality free food out of a dumpster and hitch rides from crag to crag. They also play a lot of chess and practice yoga and meditation.

I can’t live as cheap anymore, I want my car, I need to keep my health insurance. I am coming up on a big choice, keep the job I have now which I can do on the road, or take a job that pays a lot more but doesn’t have the flexibility to allow me to travel and climb. It would let me take extended trips to europe and take care of retirement needs.

Sure you get tired of being on the road, but it doesn’t take long living in the city to realize that you would rather be hanging out in a more natural environment.
Miguel (KY.) felt that people spending all winter at his place were wasting their lives. I think he is wrong. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that nobody can pay me enough for me to give them my life in exchange. One of the advantages of living in today’s society is that we do have a choice. Live for today and tomorrow will take care of itself. Time is all you have in life, spend it wisely.

That was quite a beautiful post!!! It's definately hard to find the balance,not everyone has the option to be a full time climber either.
I think I miss mostly the escape part of living on the road. It becomes almost like a nirvana, and ebbs and flows gently. :idea: Though the challenge happens when you go back to the "other" world.

needmoregear

Apr 4, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #19 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hell. i am seriously considering it atm. i am still a beginner by far.
been climbing for almost a year now. something i wanted to do all
my life but just didn't live in a area for it and know people that climbed.

sitting 8 hours a day in a cubicle sucks. for what? good health care? to take
care of me when i have that heart attack at 40? retirement? that 2
years of no work i save up 40 years for then keel over and die? think
i am coming to the conclusion a hard life of risk and lower standards
of living is just a better way to live.

25. no kids. no gf atm. if not now then when? you only live once,
might as well see as much as this world as you can, while you can.

climberpunk

Apr 4, 2003, 10:19 PM
Post #20 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im only 15 man, but im gonna take a year off before college to live on the road, and c if i wanna go, or just take the climber bum route...ive spent time with a few full time climbers, and they all are the koolest ppl ive met...it could easily happen!

petsfed

Apr 4, 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #21 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last week was the worst. Coming off of a week of living out of the back of my partner's truck, and doing just that, climbing whatever. I was so close to just dropping out and dirtbagging for the rest of my life.

boulderpaul

Apr 4, 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #22 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

manboy

Apr 4, 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #23 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, in regards to the original post.... you make climbing full time sound like a dream! unfortunately it seems that you probably haven't done it (not LONG TERM at least)... the part about "less stress" in particular, well, i don't think that is true. many full time climbers (including myself as i have been climbing full time for 4 years) have ALOT of (much MORE than people who don't climb full-time) stress. i think your idea of a "full time climber" is a little distorted. try thinking about things like:
-making long term relationships when you are only in one place for no more than a month at a time
-having enough money for things like food and gas
-luxeries of living in one place (or lack there of when travelling full time) such as: a nice place to sleep (living out of a vehicle gets old after a while), place to cook, laundry, showers, cable TV.... Everything you take for granted when living in one place
-saftey (i've seen some pretty sketchy stuff in places like Central America)

obviously i love the life of a full time climber (i am one and don't plan on stopping anytime soon), and i am not trying do discurage anybody from "living the life", i just wanted to point out that the original post was a bit "Fictional" in its description of a "Full time climber" and made it seem a bit more like a dream than reality. there is definately alot of stress. i love the life but unless you are a trust fund kid or rich for some reason, or making alot of money from sponsors (like less than 1% of full-time climbers), you are going to have as much stress as anybody else in life and be giving up alot of luxuries to boot!

Live the dream, but be realistic at the same time..... See ya at the crag!

Steve

PS. remember to always TRY HARD!!!!!

daceilo

Apr 4, 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #24 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, such an array of viewpoints, as always with rc.com I guess :)

Anyways, I don't climb full-time, nor live the traveller's lifestyle. I'm often envious of the freedom that traveller's have. I chose a different route and ended up owning a house, car, etc at the ripe old age of 22. Don't regret it, but it deffinately curtails certain extended adventures.

I can't wait for the snow to melt and to make it to the Rockies every weekend for some excellent rock climbing and mountain biking... hmmm... warm weather here I come!!!

hang_man

Apr 5, 2003, 12:22 AM
Post #25 of 37 (3547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if u climb full time, then how do u earn money for a living??? not unless u work in a gym i suppose..... :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook