Premier Sponsor:

climbing-buff
Deleted

Apr 5, 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #1 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Which first?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so I've been climbing for a little while now and have been getting a lot better. So I want to learn to lead rope and I also want to build a bouldering wall in my back yard. here's the q:

Buy some draws and rope or put up the wall?

Keep in mind I'm wanting to take a trip in the summer to RRG in Kentuckey. I'm sure both will help me improve a lot and get ready to go outdoors for the first time I just can't decide which to do.

trillium

Apr 5, 2003, 1:07 AM
Post #2 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Which first? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a no-brainer for me. Buy the rope and the draws, find someone who can show you how to use them properly, and get out on the real rock!
Now go do the right thing!

jstumpf

Apr 5, 2003, 1:15 AM
Post #3 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to have to agree with Trillium. Climbing on real rock will get you better MUCH faster. Not to mention the scenery, social aspect, and INTENSE noradrenaline high you'll be much less likely to see any of on plastic in your back yard. With a rope and draws, you can climb almost anywhere, and there's always somewhere to go.

climbsomething

Apr 5, 2003, 1:35 AM
Post #4 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the woody.

I assume you want to train strength, and bouldering (esp. any time you want to) will give you strength and power much more efficiently than roped climbing. And when you do tie in, you'll be able to carry over what you've gained from bouldering.

I also say this because it sounds like you won't be getting onto real rock (although you really should) before this RRG trip. Sounds like you'll be in the gym till then. And I don't know how your gym works, but those with lead walls often have fixed draws anyway. (Some, like Hangar 18 in SoCal, even have dedicated ropes) So, if the only leading you'd be doing would be indoors anyway, you probably don't "need" much gear just yet. Also, it's a good rule of thumb for a virgin leader to test drive a friend's gear before making the investment. And when you're ready, I'd suggest rope before draws if you can't get them at the same time.

I know I've told you earlier that owning and being able to use gear before going on a road trip is important, and it IS- with the implicit caveat that you've also used it on real rock before; getting on real rock ASAP is what's behind the previous answers too.

But since you're asking which of these 2 would better prepare you for your trip, I'd say, woody first simply for the training aspect, and also because you don't appear to have any outdoor excursions in mind before then (although... you SHOULD!)

Did that make sense?? :?

mauriceb

Apr 5, 2003, 1:39 AM
Post #5 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going middle of the road. If you have access to some real rock and you can get out with someone knowledgaable a couple of times a week, get the gear. Otherwise, build yourself the woodie

Is IN as flat as IL?

maurice

wanlessrm

Apr 5, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #6 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rope and draws! Spend the rest on gas and get your as# to the real rocks.

agentoffortune

Apr 5, 2003, 2:41 AM
Post #7 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with the cheapest option. Actually, draws and a rope aren't going to help you climb better. If you have the harness and the shoes, just climb with someone that has draws and a rope and build the wall with the money. So the person doesn't think you are a mooch, buy them a couple of beers from time to time. It's what I did. I have six draws, a harness, a rope, and shoes but I have been climbing trad for most of a year. I just climb with people that have the gear and most people seem to be glad to have me. In fact, they are almost always the ones to call me up and ask me to climb.

Richard

Partner coldclimb

Apr 5, 2003, 3:19 AM
Post #8 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a woody is going to cost tons more than just 11 or 12 draws and a rope...

climbing-buff
Deleted

Apr 5, 2003, 3:53 AM
Post #9 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks, i was looking around and i found a good 6 draw and 150m rope for around 200. the "woody" (that means the bouldering wall?) would be a little cheaper. I want to get on some real rock sooner but IN really is flat so there's nowhere I can drive and climb and be back in the same day. so i have to schedule off work ahead of time. I was thinking rope and draws would prepare me better for outdoor climbing because then i'll know how to lead and be comfortable with it rather than just getting up strength and then learning to lead when i get outside. any more suggestions?

kalcario

Apr 5, 2003, 3:59 AM
Post #10 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not, I repeat do not buy a 150 foot rope, spend the extra dough and get a 60 meter, many sport routes these days, especially at the Red are set up for lower offs with 60's, 150' ropes are practically obsolete these days which is undoubtedly why it's cheap. Forget the woody and the draws, everybody else has draws, and get a good rope.

climbing-buff
Deleted

Apr 5, 2003, 5:01 AM
Post #11 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so now I'm sold on the rope idea.

What kind? How long? and what size (mm)?

calpolyclimber

Apr 5, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #12 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are going to get alot of suggestions about specific brands, and indeed, some are better than others... For your first rope, however, you probably will not be able to tell one from another. I say get one that is on sale, and is either a 10.2 or a 10.5. Bigger or smaller than that (in my opinion) would not be good for a first rope. GET A 60 METER!!!! Look for one around the $130 range. Don't worry about whether it is a dry rope or not, that wont really matter on a first rope, and other than keeping some dirt out, it is mostly an alpine/ice feature.

lox

Apr 5, 2003, 5:58 AM
Post #13 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THE EGG.

apollodorus

Apr 5, 2003, 6:08 AM
Post #14 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have rock near you, definitely get the rope and gear. Walls suck, and are basically for people who don't have rock near them.

After you get the rope and gear, you can have your cake and eat it too: build the climbing wall on a near-zero budget by going to construction sites and asking if you can take scraps of 2x4 for holds, and even longer pieces for the frame (see below). They also usually have plywood (sometimes nice, very thick flooring) that is scrapped in pieces as large as 1 or two foot wide by eight feet long. Buying a couple of long 4x4s, and some deck screws would be your total cash outlay.

Actually, I guess that would give you a hangboard (campus board?), and not a real "wall". But, still, cheap.

You can also screw the holds onto a 2x10 or 2x12 to make a hangboard.

A little wood rasp action on the upper surface of a 2x4 hold can change it from a bomber jug into a dicey sloper. Or use 1x4 scraps for smaller holds. Use sandpaper to smooth them off.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook