Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

gymclimbfreak

Apr 8, 2003, 1:55 AM
Post #26 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

April climbing in Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I'd be up for it. What's the weather supposed to be like? I'd love to go. Even if it is kinda cold.. I could break my outdoor climbing cherry! :D :D

Let me know.

Tim

jreinan

Apr 8, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #27 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be interested in climbing this coming weekend outdoors.....pretty new to this whole thing and as far as gear i have a harness belay device shoes but no rope or gear to place a top rope nor any experience leading but would absolutely love to get outdoors. Went and bouldered at redwing and taylors about 2 weeks ago and had a blast. So if anyone wants to hook up and let me tag along that would be great. Otherwise any meeting of minnesota climbers im there, the date doesnt matter.

John

thomer

Apr 8, 2003, 4:40 AM
Post #28 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's up everybody. I'm down here in Mankato and was thinking about going to Red Wing on Friday or Saturday. Both days right now look like middle 60's, so it shouldn't be that bad. I have never been to Red Wing, but need to get outdoors someitme soon. It will be something new for me this weekend as well. I'll find out exactly what I am doing, I post it here later this week.

Mike

pelliott

Apr 8, 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #29 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be able to do Sunday afternoon, but Saturday is out for this weekend. I have to take care of the kids while Tammy goes to a home schooling conference. I'm doing the busy dad thing. I just hope and pray that my son will want to join me climbing when he gets old enough.

fo_d

Apr 8, 2003, 1:01 PM
Post #30 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dann and I are watching weather and some other things but we're thinking we will go either Thurs or Fri, Curt said he and Andy would be there Fri for sure and I think Dann (duskerhu) could hook you up with them if we dont go Fri, watch here and PM Dann for info on curt or pelliott could also probably hook you up with Curt.

Later

Les

el_capitan

Apr 8, 2003, 1:39 PM
Post #31 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm new to this regional discussion thing but I am interested in finding some new climbing partners. Is there anyone else thats interested in trad, 5.8 or so? Especially multipitch? Jreinan, I got your PM and lets hook up this weekend, Sat at around 1pm? Anyone else for this weekend? I think I will probably climb Sat and Sun.
-Sung

fo_d

Apr 8, 2003, 9:30 PM
Post #32 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it looks like I dont have to go to a funeral till next week, (they have to wait till they can get his son home from Iraq) so its looking good for Fri for me, I'll talk to Dann later.

Les

thomer

Apr 9, 2003, 5:16 AM
Post #33 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was planning on going to Barns on Firday morning, but my buddy backed out. If there is anybody that is going to be there Friday, and don't mind another tagging along, could you let me know. And I'll be there. Hopefully I'll see everybody Friday at Barns.

Mike

duskerhu

Apr 9, 2003, 5:43 AM
Post #34 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW, the weather thinks about getting nice, and people crawl out of the woodwork...

Well sounds like Les' family stuff isn't happening right away so, I'm all for Friday morning... I could do it Thursday, or Saturday for that matter, but my "liar", I mean weather machine here at work is talking about rain on Saturday. And Thursday night I have my kids; although, I have them Friday night too... And I guess I did mention to Les that I was thinking of coming down with a bad case of the flu Thursday night...

SHOOT! I could hit Barns Thursday & Friday...

Well, we'll see... thomer, you're welcome to join us, as is any one else... Watch here or PM us for the final plan.

el_capitan, you're talking to a bunch of "gear heads" here... Of course we're interested in trad... Whatever the grade... Unfortuneately there isn't a whole lot of it at Barns but there is a bit. And a few good ones to do some learning on... If you can put your faith in the limestone.

AHITE! I'll be back later... continuing the weather watch and seeing what's the happ...

duskerhu

rockhugger

Apr 9, 2003, 9:00 PM
Post #35 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Blue mounds on 6/27 works for me.

duskerhu

Apr 10, 2003, 12:14 AM
Post #36 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

K, My final vote for the 2nd Annual RC.com Minnesota Gathering iissss......

The weekend of June 27th...
For a couple of reasons... 1st, I have my kids the weekend of the 20th and I'd rather not bring the 4yr. old if I don't have to (more climbing time ;) )... 2nd, The Nebraska Boys are at the RMNP Gig the 13th and we told them we'd have it a weekend they could attend. 3rd, The 27th allows me the most freedom and if I decide I want to bring Kali or Max, the X won't mind giving them up for the weekend.

ALRIGHTYthen... This week...
Les and I, and Kurt and Andy are going to Barn Bluff in Red Wing Friday morning. Les and I'll be there at 8am; Kurt and Andy were talking about 10am. Most of us will have to leave by 4pm but that doesn't mean you have to... Anyone interested, come on out and climb. If you don't get there in time to hit us up in the parking lot, just come on up and find us. We'll probably start on Winter Wall for the solar exposure and then later in the day, I at least, hope to move over to the shady side if it warms up enough. So just hike up and find us.

Any of you that don't know where you're going, PM me and I'll give you directions...

Dann

pelliott

Apr 10, 2003, 7:07 PM
Post #37 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be going to Red Wing this Sunday at 8:00 AM if anyone is interested.

rocksolid

Apr 10, 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #38 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pat - A few of us are meeting at Red Wing on Saturday afternoon at 1:30. If I recall correctly, Saturday doesn't work for you. And unfortunately, Sunday morning doesn't work for me (this weekend). I am heading out of town next weekend (for Easter), but if you are up for hitting Red Wing or Taylor’s either of the following weekends (April 26-27 or May 3-4) - weather permitting - just drop me a PM.

If anyone else is interested in joining us on Saturday, just let me know.

Craig

pelliott

Apr 11, 2003, 1:45 AM
Post #39 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

June 27th works great for me at Blue Mound. I will be there. There is a good chance I can go out on the 4/27 also. Let's plan on Taylors Falls.

crux

Apr 11, 2003, 2:14 AM
Post #40 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a good chance I can get out to Red Wing on Saturday @ around 11:00am... if anyone want's to go a bit earlier than the 1:30pm. Of course, if it rains, all bets are off as far as I'm concerned... And I got all the gear we'd be needing... (for at least two people)... :)

gymclimbfreak

Apr 12, 2003, 1:22 AM
Post #41 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so if anyone missed the previous posts, some of us are heading down to Barns tomorrow ( saturday the 12th). We're leaving about 10:30 from the cities, so if there is anyone in the wood works feel free to come on out.

Les, Dann... well here I am my first time actually climbing outdoors. Well at least when I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Tim

duskerhu

Apr 12, 2003, 3:05 AM
Post #42 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a Gorgeous day it was today! And yes, we had a blast...

fo_d/Les and I got to the bluff at 8, thomer/Mike showed up before we started climbing, and l_j_x/Louis came up before we were done with the first route. Andy, Kurt, and Lon (NON.commers ;) ) showed up about 10:30.

Bright blue sky and warm sunshine made for great climbing. We started on Sunburst and Left Lane, then moved over and did Jump Start and Jam & Jelly. Then we decided to go back to the "shady side" and climbed Frequent Flatulence and a bat filled crack of Goofed On Skunkweed.

By that time Les and I had to leave but Louis, Lon, Andy, and Kurt stayed as we'd suggested they do Perfect Crimb to finish the day.

I haven't seen the current weather for the rest of the weekend but hopefully you guys have as nice of a day Saturday as we had today!

Tim, have a nice hike dude!

duskerhu

gymclimbfreak

Apr 13, 2003, 4:28 AM
Post #43 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys! Well I jsut got home from a nice long day climbing. YOu guys never warned me that this was like a 12 mile hike!! Up hill!! both ways!! even worse. It was a beautiful day, unless you went around the corner into the shade. Then it got cold and windy. It was totally awesome! It was fun climbing with Craig and Ed. Thanks guys for putting up with me out there today. see ya'll monday

Tim

fo_d

Apr 13, 2003, 5:09 AM
Post #44 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:o :o :o 12 miles??????????? :o :o :o ok I understand, it felt like 12 miles but about warning you....I'm pretty sure I did warn you, it may have been a while ago but I mention it to anyone I talk to about going there (who hasnt been there yet). It takes about 8-10 min if you just put your head down, look only at the trail and move at a steady pace, about like running a mile :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:twisted: Les :twisted:

duskerhu

Apr 13, 2003, 5:21 AM
Post #45 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, first of all, if that's a 12 mile hike, then I hike up hill at the rate of about 1.7 miles a minute... (that of course would be "average" because I know I'm faster on the lower section and slower once you get to the switch-back and hit the steep part). :shock:

Second, you better get used to it Tim if you're going to do any amount of climbing outdoors. With the exception of the MN Strip at Taylors Falls, The Amphitheater at Palisade Head, and the western most sections at Blue Mounds, Red Wing is one of the shortest approaches you'll find. At least in Minnesota anyway.

Third, you should probably run down there and do that hike 3 or 4 times a week... At least 3 laps... Per trip... Before you climb. By September you'll be ready for the approaches to Section 13 and maybe the Mystical Mountain Zone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

What do you mean we "never warned" you about it??? Did you ever ASK about the approach? I hope you're not going to tell me you thought you'd be able to "belay from the bumper" of your car on your first outdoor climb... :wink:

Well, anyway, what did you get to climb? Glad you guys had fun; it was another beautiful day, as it should be Sunday. How did your shoes work on the limestone dude? Not quite as "rough" or stickable as you thought I'd bet. You'll find that other areas are better for "frictioning" with climbing shoes. It does take a bit of practice to be able to work your feet on that stuff. Little different from the gym eh?

Post up what climbs you did. And anyone going out Sunday, let us know how it was. I of course can never get enough climbing myself so at times, I must live vicariously through the adventures of others... :twisted:

duskerhu

cynic

Apr 13, 2003, 6:31 AM
Post #46 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this is incredibly short notice, but I'm going to be out at VE today (Sun. the 13th) with zerolag and another friend from about noon until whenever we blow out. If you're around we'll be the group of two guys and a girl, just yell 'hey chris' and you'll probably get my attention.

I should also note that there are a couple of us thinking about heading out to either taylor's or barns next saturday. I haven't been to barns yet so if there's anyone interested in showing us the ropes, so to speak, we'd appreciate it.

gymclimbfreak

Apr 13, 2003, 11:45 AM
Post #47 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No it wasn't really that bad. We used to run trails like that in high school for our ski training. although I had running shoes on and not sandals. I could always hope to have that bumper belay, but it was a good experience hiking up and down up and down. I believe I made it up two tone zephyr and 1 other which i can't remember. it was right around the corner form the "light side" kinda on an arete, to the right of where the American flag has been painted on the rock, kinda bulgy. Craig has it in his book and remembers what it is. Yeah them shoes are totally not as sticky on that stuff as they are in the gym.. I learned a little by the end of the day to trust my feet on that. That stuff gets really shiny, making it hard to place, that and it probably didn't help that my shoes got all dirty at the bottom.

Tim

Oh yeah... I even got to break my new rope in a little, and my first lead belay, of course the only problem was Ed didn't fall.

rocksolid

Apr 13, 2003, 3:23 PM
Post #48 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me grab a my guide book, and I'll throw up some of the routes that we climbed...

Craig

rocksolid

Apr 13, 2003, 3:25 PM
Post #49 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As Tim stated, we had a great day of climbing at Barns on Saturday. We rolled in around 11:30, and headed down to the New Vice Area. Ed led Two Tone Zepher, and then both Tim and I TR'd it. Great job Tim, by-the-way!!! :D But the rock was just a little cold (yes, we are wusses...), so we moved down to the Cyclops Area, hoping to get on Sleeping Bat in a Ziplock Bag. Unfortunately, that route was being climbed, so Ed led Pigeon Paranoia. Then another guy we hooked up with (Mike) led Urban Chunks. Tim, Sung (el_capitan), and I all worked Pigeon Paranoia for a while, and then Ed, Sung, and I worked Urban Chunks. By then, we decided that the rock in the shade had warmed up enough to climb, so we went around the corner to Generic Wall. Tim belayed Ed on Sunburst, and Sung led Left Lane. Then all of us played on those routes for a little while. We wrapped our day up in the Annadonia Area on Looking for Lust. By that time both Tim and I were completely burned out, so we called it a day. Sung stuck around and went off to find some other friends that were climbing. The weather was perfect, and overall it was a fantastic day. And Tim looked really good, considering that most of the routes were way above what he usually climbs at VE. Good job Tim! I am on the other hand am incredibly rusty - ugh. But it was my first time outside in months, and it's only April, so I shouldn't complain.

I'll see you guys at VE tomorrow night - probably around 17:00.

Climb on!
Craig

fo_d

Apr 13, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #50 of 85 (4316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW I'm gonnna be at VE today maybe by 3:30 till close if anyone wants to do a few leads, otherwise I'll just boulder.

Les

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook