RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

climbforchrist

Apr 11, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1866 views)
Shortcut

new to illinois looking for climbing partners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

hey all

I am moving from awesome Seattle, to flat and mountainless Illinois to start graduate school. Are their many good climbing spots? and I am also looking for partners to head out to whatever u got there. I have experince in alpine, glacier and mounatenrring, trad climbing, and I do sport as well, if u are interested in hooking up drop me an email or reply to my post.

Touray

mhr2000

Apr 11, 2003, 7:24 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1866 views)
Shortcut

new to illinois looking for climbing partners [In reply to]
Report this Post

What part of Illinois?

climbs2much

Apr 11, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I actually reciently made the opposite move, from Illinois to the PNW. I learned to climb out here but I now know where most of the areas to climb in IL are. What school are you at? I makes a difference if you are in the Chicago area, central or southern IL. UIUC is where I got my undergrad degree.

climbforchrist

Apr 11, 2003, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1866 views)
Shortcut

illinois climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post

hey I am going to be going to University of illinois in urbana... What would u suggest around their????? Where in the Northwest will u be? . I grew up in Seattle, and their is so much climbing here. probably the best all around climbing u can find in the lower 48 outside alaska, lots of glaciated stuff to do, and alpine, I dont plan on staying in illinois to long after graduate school im running back to seattle =).. well talk soon.

ramylson

Apr 11, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Like mentioned previously, it really depends on which part of the state you'll be attending school in for where you'll climb the most. But, then again.. maybe not. There are really two major areas that you'll find yourself: one (if you're in the northern part of the state), Devil's Lake, WI. Trad and top-tope climbing on quartzite. Two (if your in the central or southern part of the state), S. Illinois areas like Jackson Falls, Drapers Bluff, etc. Sport, trad, aid, and top-toping on sandstone. A lot of climbings will make the "normal" trips to their liking.. places like Red River , Tennessee Wall, New River.. it all depends on what you're interested in doing. There are obviously more areas then what I've listed.. this is really just an over view. There's lot of good climbing in the midwest, just not to the scale you're probably used to..

andy_lemon

Apr 12, 2003, 12:12 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Please allow me to interupt so I can spray about the climbing fest in Southern Illinois this summer. You all should come. There will be beer?!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28932

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook