Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
You're thoughts on The Mission of the PAC...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rwaltermyer

Apr 23, 2003, 8:04 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1138 views)
Shortcut

You're thoughts on The Mission of the PAC...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would like to open the topic of the Pennsylvania Alliance of Climbers for discussion by asking a few questons:

a) I heard a climber accuse the PAC of being motivated soley by the need to reopen Governor Stables. To quote their website:
"..we formed out of a particular desire to gain access to a boulder field named Governor Stable located in the far north west corner of Lancaster County..." So with that being said, do you feel the PAC is solely aimed at keeping GS open?

b) If you were a Western PA climber, do you feel they have meet your needs, considering they are the PENNSYLVANIA Alliance of Climbers?

c) If you were in charge of the PAC, what other issues would you tackle?

Now let me put my 2 cents. The PAC is still in their infancy stages, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. My HOPE is that they will take the initative on other issues... (Access to the River Crags, Rebolting Areas, Clean Up and Trail Building--Ralph Stover).

I think they are on the right track. But until I see them spreading out from GS, I'm keeping by membership dues in my pocket.

God Bless.
Randy

PS. Since the Coding doesn't have it anymore:
Back to the PA State Page

awsclimber

Apr 23, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Re: You're thoughts on The Mission of the PAC... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have very little faith in or respect for the PAC. Maybe I'm wrong, I often am, but the only thing I have heard that they hvae done so far is open up governor stables if you pay to join. AND they all seem to be fine with that?! that doesn't seem like improved access, I could have walked up and given the guy who owns it 30 bucks and I doubt he'd care if I climbed there. I have heard of no other progress on safe harbor or sex wall. I don't believe that they had a contingent during adopt a crag day, though I know some people joined the LCC at chickies?
As far as what climbers in the western part of the state think, most of the ones I know have only heard of it in passing and know nothing of what it is about.
My views are admitedly a little harsh, but its the way I feel about them. hope to hear from other pa climbers on the subject as well. oh and I'll be in lancaster from the beginning of next week until about may 15 so if anyobody wants to head out to the local crags pm me.
Climb Safe
Adam

vanny37

Apr 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1138 views)
Shortcut

Re: You're thoughts on The Mission of the PAC... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a western PA climber I don't see any parts of PAC moving west to look at issues on this side of the state. I only know of them from the internet; never heard anyone talk of PAC at the crags. They are young and growing, so I understand that. However, knowing how 'divided' PA can be I would worry about those who wish the PAC to represent their climbing interests that they might not receive help from PAC. I don't see PAC growing fast enough at the moment to have state-wide influence leaving W PA climbers out. I won't be giving money to anyone for climbing anyway, unless they save my climbing world or something...

I really have no interest anyway in the PAC. I certainly do not mind them dealing with access issues, assuming they do them in legal and respectful manners. I just tend to be uninterested in organizations such as this.

I hear their bouldering comp at the GS is decent... I passed up the opportunity to go to it due to $ and timing and whatnot...

I'm currently living in Ithaca, NY... anyone know of decent rock closer than the gunks from here(NE and N central PA i guess you guys would know best about)?

~Chris

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook