RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

fjgrubbs

Apr 25, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Climbers Diet...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering what everyone's diet is like these days. Stuff like caloric intake, total carbohydrates per day, protien, water consumption, etc...

jskaggs

Apr 25, 2003, 5:25 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers Diet... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont have an exact number but Im pretty sure theres lots calories and carbs in beer, so I think Im doin alright.

whitefingers

Apr 25, 2003, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Started Atkins diet about a month and a half ago. Im 6'3" and have gone from 207 to 192. I drink allot of water and take in about 20-30 carbs per day. I don't count calories, fat etc.. I have noticed that my energy level is very consistant, but dont have the power surges i used to get from tons of caffine and suger.

westside196

Apr 25, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't want this to sound mean, but it seems like there is a new what's a good climbers diet thread every week.

fjgrubbs

Apr 25, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't ask, "What's a good climbers diet?." I just wanted to know what some of you are doing in the nutritional area.

climberxterra

Apr 25, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont drink pop, I drink alot of water

kman

Apr 25, 2003, 6:42 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the Atkins diet?

westside196

Apr 25, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a diet that's been around since the 60's I believe. It's a low/no carb diet and you eat a lot of protein. I've never been on it myself, but I've heard good things about it, and I know a few people who have had good results on it. Dr. Atkins was on it himself for 30 years or so I think, unfortunately he just recently passed away too.

Partner camhead

Apr 25, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, first of all, the Atkins diet is not an ideal climber's diet. You need lots of complex carbohydrates in addition to protein to keep burning all day.
furthermore, some guy above mentioned that, althouh he was on the atkins diet, he did not count his fat intake. stoopid. you are losing weight, but still perhaps putting way too much saturated fat and cholesterol in your body. yeah, I know, fads come and go saying that saturated fat is good or bad for you; I just stay away from it.

My ideal climbing diet (semi-vegetarian) is full of complex carbs such as pasta, rice, and whole wheat breads, along with TONS of protein from sources that are low in saturated fat, such as black beans, soy, skim milk, and occassionally tuna fish. lots of fresh veggies round it out.

and on road trips, for god's sake, stay away from ramen noodles! look at the nutrition info on the back, it is fucking scary.

arostecrux

Apr 25, 2003, 7:28 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, avoiding large quantities of meat and eating fruits and vegetables will help you feel stronger. When you eat a steak, it takes a week to move through your system. Thats a lot of energy being spent on breaking down the protien.

If we wanted to climb at our highest level, we wouldn't eat much processed foods and we would make sure we drink at least half our body weight in ounces of water each day. You can live for 30 days without food, but only 3 without water. DRINK UP>

benkiessel

Apr 25, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i eat whatever whenever.

zacrobinson

Apr 25, 2003, 8:41 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Started Atkins diet about a month and a half ago. Im 6'3" and have gone from 207 to 192. I drink allot of water and take in about 20-30 carbs per day. I don't count calories, fat etc..

Wow i just ate a twix bar that had 37 carbs in it. In one sitting.

Thank god for that young "im invincible" feeling and a super fast metabolism!

sucka_mc

Apr 25, 2003, 8:42 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just a beginner but I typically eat:

Breakfast:
Bowl of Fiber One cereal with skim milk
Apple and 4-5 strawberries
Two glasses of water

Lunch:
Healthy Choice Grillers frozen dinner
Apple
Two glasses of water

Snack:
Granola
Two glasses of water

Dinner:
Salmon/Talapia/Ground Turkey/etc
2 vegetables
1 fruit
2 glasses of water.

I try to take in close to a gallon of water a day.

Partner missedyno

Apr 25, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i drink a few litres of water a day, at least one apple and one yogurt.

everything else is a variable.

i try to have no more than 2 cups of coffee a day and now that i'm biking to work i have shredded wheat or granola for breakfast....

remember, burgers and beer after climbing... always does the body good!

ksfrogman

Apr 28, 2003, 5:50 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem with diets is that everyone seems to go on one for a span of time, then reverts back to ones daily eating routine.

I agree water is extremely important. Research has underscored the importance of adequate amounts of fluid intake--beyond that which our normal thirst mechanism leads to drink. The complex carb focus is for sustenance and usable energy reserves. Dr. Atkins died recently from an intracranial trauma-related brain injury, though his diet has helped several people lose weight by placing bodies in ketosis (starvation mode) by depriving the body of carbs. I'm curious to see a retrospective cohort study on the incidence of renal failure in those with high protein intake for protracted periods of time.

Honestly, for me, being the "not-so-disciplined" eater that I am (5'9, 150 lbs), I find that what makes the most difference is keeping in shape at the local rock gym and 24 hour fitness gym (twice a week), and GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP the night before I tackle a major climb.

sheldonjr

Apr 29, 2003, 4:32 AM
Post #16 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to eat by color. (No kidding.) I try to eat as many different colors in one meal. Go for the bright, good looking colors. (Red tomatos, green grapes, yellow bananas.) AVOID BEIGE! Colorful meals are yummy.

Partner coldclimb

Apr 29, 2003, 5:26 AM
Post #17 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think benkiessel has it right on. I don't even have the option to go on a specific diet of any kind, because I'm limited to what my parents want to buy me, and what I can make of it. Sometimes it's just a few bowls of cereal in the morning and a few tortillas before bed, and sometimes it's three bowls of cereal, four slices of pizza, three burritos, two pretzels with cheese and salt, a bagel or two with cream cheese, and then some tortillas. Works just fine, and I'm really not convinced that a diet can do better.

watersprite

Apr 29, 2003, 5:08 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

water is so important - I know you're supposed to drink 8-9 glasses a day. I drink a MetRX before I work out, that and a Clif or Luna bar holds me until after - you want some protein after a workout, to build muscle.
I've gained ten pounds, but it's all in my arms and calves, so I don't mind as long as it's muscle.
Pasta/veggies/chicken is good the day before a workout; I've cut out the red meat almost entirely.

antioxidants - the day after I climb, also a protein shake - I use soy protein powder, mix it in the blender with berries, a banana or orange, plain yogurt and juice - you can also use whey powder. use the cheapest protein supplement, and for antioxidants - I take Lipoic acid, Grapeseed caps, Esther C (a really good Vit. C and helps with healing) and MSM.
I take glucosamine and chondroitin for joints. and magnesium (women need it to help conserve calcium); a calcium tablet when I think of it, but at night so it doesn't make me sick.

I've always used a lot of supplements and I swear by wheat grass juice.
I've tried creatine but I think it causes water retention, at least in the muscles, but I like it and take 3 caps before climbing, and 2 after. Supposed to help with muscle strength and recovery.

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Apr 29, 2003, 5:45 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Frik the diet, eat everything, including bicycle wheels!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook