Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
any reason not to get HP Photosmart 850?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

xanx

Apr 27, 2003, 7:43 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1120 views)
Shortcut

any reason not to get HP Photosmart 850?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i am looking to buy a good digital camera with the highest possible optical zoom and mp's without spending more than about $500 or so. i came across the HP Photosmart 850 and can't find a better camera without spending over $600.

features: 4.1mp
8x optical zoom (7x digital if anyone cares...)
runs on AA batteries
shutter speed 1/2000s and "lag" time of 4s between pics
30s audio per photo maz
max 60s video with audio
comes with a 16mb card, can hold a 128mb card if i buy one
i think it has a usb port
price: $408 to $499 depending on where you look

:shock: :shock: there must be a hidden catch... "Camera self destructs after exactly 30 days in a 50 megaton thermonuclear detonation"

danielb

Apr 28, 2003, 9:23 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Re: any reason not to get HP Photosmart 850? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been looking at the HP Photosmart 850 or the Fuji Finpix s304 as a replacment to my Fuji Finpix 2600 Zoom when I come to replace it.

The only other camera thats in the running is the Mintola Diamage Xi due to its small size, 3x optical zoom and manual controls....

DanielB

*thriller*
Deleted

Apr 28, 2003, 12:34 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just done a bunch of research into digital; cameras before buying a new nikon 2100. it's only 2mp so it's probably not whast you're looking for. I was going to get an HP, because they're cheaper, but i was advised against it by several people, who all said that HP is a computer company, not a camera company, and as a result, they have shitty lenses in their cameras. Now I'm not saying htat this is an absolute truth, this is just what I've heard as the explanation of why an HP camera with similar features is far less expansive then any other.

A couple of good sites I found while looking up digital camera stuff are http://www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com

EDIT: Just out of curiosity I looked up a review for the HP Photosmart 850 and found that it has a Fuji lens, so the "cheap lenses" notion may only be for the lower-end models.

xanx

Apr 28, 2003, 11:22 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool thanks - i am pretty sure i'll get it now.

xippi

Jun 25, 2003, 1:07 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an HP photosmart 850....It is th ebomb...Best digital I have ever had

trkrunner03

Jul 28, 2003, 3:26 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey , i work at a camera store and have lots of experience with the point and shoot digitals. As far as what i have seen the best small sized digital is the Sony P-10. It has tiny lag time between the shutter button depression and shutter release which is key. It is the quickest i have seen for less than the $800.00 sony F 717. It is also the only 5 mp camera i have seen for less than 599, the P-10 is 499. It only has a 3x zoom but it is tiny only about the size of 2 small cell phones, it easily fits in my pocket and takes tack sharp pictures. I would buy it over any Nikon that is the 4300 or lesser as well as any cannon that is the Digital elph the S400 or lesser. I wouldnt even consider any other non camera brands other than sony because they have low grade lenses compaired to the Carl-zeiss lenses and high quality sony labeled lenses that i have been told are also made by carl-zeiss but carry the sony name. I hope that makes sense. Only my two cents worth.

Peace

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook