Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
What is the best pack for hauling all your gear to the crag?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

whichwayisup

Apr 29, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #1 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

What is the best pack for hauling all your gear to the crag?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking at getting a new pack to haul my gear in. I want one that will be large enough for harness, shoes,trad gear and rope w/ rope bag. I have been looking at the North Face Dumpster or the Franklin Climbing Space Pack. What packor packs do you use or prefer?
Thanks

bsignorelli

Apr 29, 2003, 11:06 PM
Post #2 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is the best pack for hauling all your gear to the c [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am looking at getting a new pack to haul my gear in. I want one that will be large enough for harness, shoes,trad gear and rope w/ rope bag. I have been looking at the North Face Dumpster or the Franklin Climbing Space Pack. What packor packs do you use or prefer?
Thanks

I just use my backpacking pack (Jansport Rockies). This thing is large enough to carry a full trad rack, rope, helmet, shoes, water, fleece, lunch, headlamp, etc.

And I think I could fit my Hennessy Hammock in as well as my stove (Pocket Rocket) and cook kit.

Oh...and even if I'm not bringing all that stuff it cinches down well to carry just enough for toproping.

I like the full suspension, hipbelt, etc for carrying comfort. makes teh approaches less painful :)

coreyr

Apr 30, 2003, 12:43 AM
Post #3 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Arc'teryx RT 55. Lot's of room and easy to get to your gear with the roll top system. Hope this helps!!!

anykineclimb

Apr 30, 2003, 1:33 AM
Post #4 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Osprey Finese Pro

its no longer made but its perfect for a day at the crags.
a little less than 3000cu.in. I think

wigglestick

Apr 30, 2003, 1:58 PM
Post #5 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although most of the North Face gear is overpriced and basically sucks my roommate won a NF Dumpster pack in a raffle and uses it as his primary crag pack. It really works well. I have carried it a few times and it is pretty comfortable. The lid works pretty well for just opening it up and piling gear in. There is an external rope attachment system that is pretty decent. It also has a handle on the main part of the bag for tossing the bag around for short distances. The bag isn't fancy but it works pretty well and I believe they can be found for pretty cheap these days. For the price I would defineately recommend the dumpster. I think I have seen then for about 70 bucks.

Usually, I answer these types of questions with a "it is only a backpack, buy whatever is cheapest and it will work" but in this case the dumpster is a pretty good choice IMHO.

whichwayisup

Apr 30, 2003, 2:58 PM
Post #6 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the feed back. The RT55 looks like a good pack but is a little pricey for my budget. I will probably go with the NF Dumpster.

sheldonjr

May 1, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #7 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moss-foot has this cool taco pack, (It looks like a taco.) that was way sweet. Except I don't remember the brand or anything.... :?

(Yeah, I'm not a lot of help.)

valygrl

May 1, 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #8 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one of those Metolius mini-haulbags - I think it's the Shield - and it kicks a$$. It's a perfect sub bag for walls, and surprisingly comfy to carry.

If only it would carry itself, though.. you can get way too much stuff in it.

vladowski

May 1, 2003, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also use my Jansport Rockies backpacking pack. It can hold anything you want, and fits pretty comfortably. It's also not all that expensive.

naturalhigh

May 1, 2003, 1:52 AM
Post #10 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite trad pack is the camelback trailblazer... about 700cu I think. I can fit my rack and harness and some food inside, shoes in pockets on the side. I carry my rope in a butterfly coil, tied off like a backpack. This works great, plus you don't have a large pack to carry on your back as you ascend. It also has the added benefit of being a hydration system.
For alpine work I carry a larger pack (more gear), but for multipitch trad, the smaller the pack the better!

cruntley

May 1, 2003, 2:21 AM
Post #11 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just replaced my too small way to old NF rucksack with a REI Talus 35. Can't beat it for the price.

jettag

May 1, 2003, 6:01 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget about all those old military rucks out there to be had for pennies on the dollar! Ten times as tough as most mod packs and some have got real features and genuine character to boot. Also you won't kick yourself in the seat for shredding a hundred dollars on the first long haul.

lifeguard4

May 4, 2003, 1:47 AM
Post #13 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Kelty Redcloud 5000. It works great for hauling rope trad gear, and everything else i need. Works great

davidji

May 4, 2003, 4:01 AM
Post #14 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks
Trad gear & rope bag? Rope bags are for sport climbers. :wink:

My favorite crag pack is my Osprey Ecipse 36. A little smaller & a little heavier than the TNF pack I used to use, but it fits better & carries the gear better. Also carries skis, snowshoes (I've caried 4 long shoes + 4 poles on the outside, no problem), etc. I wouldn't have bought it (weight to volume ratio is not as good as a pack I already had), but it was for sale at an Access Fund/ASCA benefit auction, and I thought it was larger. After I got it, I planned to trade in plus $ for a bigger one, but I liked it so much I kept it.

David

whichwayisup

May 5, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #15 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

davidji, it isn't nice to label. But yea, I sport climb 2 to 1 over trad :oops: but I am working on it.

jetman_jake

Jun 4, 2003, 3:43 AM
Post #16 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pssssh, all this fancy stuff. To start, I'll say that I'm basically a backpack fanatic. I have all sorts of messanger bags, daypacks, book bags, etc. So what do I throw everything in for a trip to the crag? An army surplus duluth-style backpack. It's featured in good 'ol olive drab, has straps to hold down a rope, is big enough to serve as a rope bag, and I can fit in all of my climbing and my camping gear. I got it at Ragstock for $8.

renobdarb

Jun 4, 2003, 4:37 AM
Post #17 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have the Arc'teryx RT 55. Lot's of room and easy to get to your gear with the roll top system. Hope this helps!!!

Gotta agree with this one... Arc'teryx has the lightest backpacks around, and that helps when carrying the heavy gear... they are pretty frickin' durable, too...

psych

Jun 4, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #18 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kelty - Origami all the way, tough, lots and lots of gear loops, two daisy chains on the front (outside) as well. One large zippered pocket on top, my usual stuff in there is wallet, keys, cellphone, small knife, lighter, sandwich or two. One smaller zippered pocket on the inside, fits my first aid kit perfectly. One real small zippered pocket on the outside, keys or shades, one open pocket in same location. Chest strap, waist strap (light padding), good shoulder straps, they fit my frame well (average frame).

It comes with a rope bag, and there's two fat strips of velcro on the inside lining of the pack that the bag holds onto, trust me, it ain't going anywhere. Fits an 11mm 60meter rope nicely, harness, two pairs of shoes and as many draws, biners, whatever that you can shake a stick at. I'm not sure how it'd hold all your trad gear, if that applies to you, though since I have none to test it out with. :-) BIG thumbs up from me, this pack kicks, and takes a good beating as well, not a single rip in three years of cragging. It's also my hiking/daytrip backpack.

Oh yeah, also has two water bottle pockets, one on each side. Keeps 'em nice and tight in there, but they're easy to pull out while the pack's strapped on.

Here's a link:

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Packs.ShowProduct&type=pack&ID=24

Mine's dark grey, black with yellow straps, but same deal. The newer models come with a hydration pocket as well...missed out on that one...
Mike...

EDIT: fixed link for proper page...

addiroids

Jun 4, 2003, 5:07 AM
Post #19 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Eureka 30 or 40 liter. That is just a hair small for a full trad rack and a gallon of water (rope goes on top). I think the Arcteryx 55 liter would be great. But remember, if you have the capacity, you WILL fill it. If we are just talking about cragging, I would recommend something smaller like 40 liters. My buddy has the 40L and it's great for summer cragging. I don't now what that is in cubic inches, but it would be 4000 cubic cm.

One great thing for Arcteryx packs, although they are durable as hell, I would recommend coating the bottom with Plastic-Drip (black drippy stuff at the hardware store used for coating hammer handles and such). Get one of those "sponge on a stick" brushes and put a few coats on it. It will soak in really well to the cloth, but when you set your pack on the rocks every weekend for a year or two, you will be glad you did it so your rack doesn't fall out. Dude, we aren't going for style, but functionality here. But I think it is black on black, so you're cool.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

davidji

Jun 4, 2003, 5:48 AM
Post #20 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You also might want to consider The Works@Mystery Ranch packs. They've got some incredibly rugged packs, and they've got the best suspension system I've ever tried.

I have a 12 Bar that I got on sale. I love it but it's probably bigger than you want. For cragging (and occasional hauling), it might be hard to beat the Futura Direct.

One thing I wouldn't do is buy based on specs over the internet. It seems much better to buy in a store based on how the pack actually fits and works for you.

whichwayisup

Jun 5, 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #21 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I purchased the North Face Dumpster about 3 weeks ago. No complaints so far, but I be trying it out at Seneca in a couple weeks.

rockmx

Jun 5, 2003, 12:40 AM
Post #22 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the NF Dumpster, It works fine for the local Clacks, I can put a Full trad Rack, food and water for the day.

pirateclimber

Jun 5, 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #23 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TNF Prophet 65, just under 4 pounds, $85 at the TNF Outlet. Use it randonee skiing over the weekends in winter, backpacking in the summer, and hauling 42 pounds of gear up to Tahquitz (that mutha F'er of an approach) and other areas. Suspension is adequate, pull the carbon fiber stays if you don't need the support. Used 8 months and no complaints.

punk

Jun 5, 2003, 2:06 AM
Post #24 of 24 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m using my trustworthy Dana Design Bighorn and I LOVE it

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook