RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

pmooshkie

Apr 30, 2003, 1:53 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Mother -- Daughter team
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Are there any ladies out there climbing with there daughters? I am very much a beginner and this weekend we are getting my 14 yr old to start with me. She did way back when she was little, now we are going to do it together. Any one have any advice or experiences they would like to share or even climb with us, we are in Spokane, WA. I also need to do strength training for my upper body any suggestions there. I am looking on the other sites, just not tons of time to read everything.
8) happy climbing

cruzit

Apr 30, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mother -- Daughter team [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with my belay slave...oops I mean my 15-year old son all the time. I couldn't talk my daughters into it...they might have broken nails. As for advice...have fun. You'll be learning together :)

As for strength training for your upper body. If you stick with it, you will eventually need to work some on your upper body strength. Building up your back, chest and shoulders is really helpful, especially when you start moving from easier climbs to the harder, crimpier stuff. You can do this by climbing laps on easier routes or working out at a fitness gym. Initially though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You really need to climb with your feet...especially at first. Remember, we girls have the advantage in finesse and flexibility. Use both to your advantage.

pmooshkie

May 1, 2003, 5:33 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, It's funny about you and your boys -- My ex-boyfriend tried to get my son in to it years ago, this is where the long story comes in, and we couldn't keep my daughter off the wall -- So long story short her and I are now going to try it together. I have done it with a friend here and there which has again prompted her into --"When can I go again!!!" Son still too afraid of heights :roll:
Thanks again. I want to try Yoga for my work-outs. Other sites have suggested it and I think my Physical Therapist is going to, too. But what about the new "WINSOR Pilata" (sp?) thing anyone?
Sounds like it might be worth a free try if someone has it for you to copy. I am going ask my therphist. :P

katydid

May 1, 2003, 11:14 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like there's an injury there that we're not aware of -- definitely ask your PT before you start ANYTHING.

With that wee disclaimer, Pilates rocks. I do "original" Pilates (don't know anything about the variation you mentioned), and it's non-impact, great for core muscles and flexibility, and a decent workout. It's a lot like doing a ballet barre without the load-bearing. I can't do yoga because I have a very crapped-out knee, but I find that Pilates covers a lot of the same bases (minus the meditative quality found in a lot of forms of yoga). If you've ever taken ballet, Pilates will make a LOT of sense to you.

YMMV,

Kate

lazygirl

May 8, 2003, 5:02 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to climb with my Dad when I started out but I began to drift away from climbing with him and met new people. After I got my driver's license I stopped climbing with him almost completly, and when I do climb with him it always feels really awkward. Also, after I started leading harder routes he would get really uncomfortable. One day I was about to lead a 5.10 for the first time and he conveniently found an accuse to go to the car to get something and returned just as I got back down to the ground. I was bummed he wasn't there to see it.

If you do start climbing together there may be a time when she starts to have other partners and start doing things without you, especially considering she's "at that age". Let her do her own thing but don't drop out of her climbing life completely. I know I wish my dad came climbing with me a little more often. I miss that time we got to spend together and sometimes I feel bad that I'm leaving him out of something I wouldn't even have if it weren't for him.

pmooshkie

May 10, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, the moving on is already happening with a girlfriend who started with us now. It all good though I have a friend I climb with now and then too and just found out that my son's friend (who is always here) climbs and doesn't have a partner -- my son is too afraid!! -- So I feel I am creating a little community here now.
Yeah and what is it with "that age!"
Thanks for the advise, both on climbing and teenage girls. But for now she can't get there without me. :wink:

gblauer

May 12, 2003, 3:25 AM
Post #7 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with my 14 and 16 year old daugthers and my 12 year old son. My advice: keep if fun, light, don't pressure anyone into climbing if they don't want to climb. Just have a great time. As far as building strength...just climb and clinb often. Start on "rainbow routes" work your way to routes, then start wroking routes that are overhung or plain too hard. You will begin to see results almost instantly (a very rewarding sport).

overlord

May 14, 2003, 3:10 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there was a comp in SLO about 1 year ago especially for mom/daughter teams. it was a part of womens climbers gathering in osp.

pisceian

May 20, 2003, 8:10 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with my mom! It is awesome! It's really great for us to spend time together whenever I am home from college, and a great workout that we both need. Now I just have to get her to climb without me, when I'm at school, so that she can get stronger and better...
As for improving strength, climb obviously... but working out in any sort will help keep you in shape, and that's important!

Definitely keep having fun, I know my mom and I do!

-Pam

abbottoacer

Sep 23, 2003, 4:32 AM
Post #10 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mother daughter climbing teams rule!!!!11111 I first started climbing with my mom about 4 years ago. We took the intro course together and tried to go regularly. We only really got into it about a year ago though, and we signed up for a lead climbing class. We had a lot of good bonding time, which many mothers and daughters seem to lack these days. Unfortunately, she hurt her back near the end of the class, it was not a climbing related accident, but she's been in physio ever since and unable to climb. My Mom is 50, and I'm very proud of her for having the stones to take up rock climbing. She was very depressed when she couldn't climb, and so was I, I'd lost my partner. It was hard for me to go out and find new partners after her, I mean who can you trust more than your mom?
Anyways, the whole point of this is to say be careful. People get more breakeable with age. I don't know how old you are or what physical shape your in, but if your being treated fr anything, be even more careful and have your md ok any activities your thinking of partaking in.

kimmyt

Sep 23, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want to try Yoga for my work-outs. Other sites have suggested it and I think my Physical Therapist is going to, too. But what about the new "WINSOR Pilata" (sp?) thing anyone?
Sounds like it might be worth a free try if someone has it for you to copy. I am going ask my therphist. :P

I do Yoga now. I've heard some pretty good stuff about the Windsor Pilates video. Of course, Pilates is a lot more intense than yoga (or so I've heard), so you might want to try a yoga class first and then work into Pilates. The good thing about Yoga (and Pilates) is that you can do it yourself. Of course, it's nice to take a class and get someone to help you with the asanas. Sometimes, the slightest turning of a muscle gives you a completely different result. And if you want an intense workout, try Hot Yoga, which is offered at a lot of studios now. It's yoga in a sauna. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds crazy fun.

K.

climberchic

Sep 23, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kimmy,

I think it's called Hatha Yoga or Hot Birhkram Yoga (please correct me if I'm wrong) in case anyone is looking!

~E

gretchino

Sep 23, 2003, 4:51 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took my Mum to the gym for the first time last weekend....she loved it! There was one part though that she hated: lowering. When she got to the top, she said, "Now what?".
I said, "just sit back and I'll lower you down."
She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "no way! There needs to be a slide on the other side of the wall for me to slide down!" :shock:

Too funny, but she really did enjoy it. Now I need to convince her to go out side with me. It will never happen, but I can dream!

kimmyt

Sep 23, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kimmy,

I think it's called Hatha Yoga or Hot Birhkram Yoga (please correct me if I'm wrong) in case anyone is looking!

~E

I think you're right about the Bikhram Hot Yoga. Some studios, trying to make their class names a little more 'down-to-earth' may call it Hot Yoga. Hatha Yoga, though, refers to a generic branch of yoga that focuses on uniting physical movement with breath. Among styles of Hatha yoga are Iyengar (what I practice), Kripalu, Bikhram, Kundalini, and countless others. Each style does things a bit differently, and usually they are named after the masters that developed them. B.K.S. Iyengar is the developer of the style that I practice, and he's got a phenomenal book on Yoga called 'light on yoga' which focuses on the spiritual and physical aspects of yoga. It's a great book and is useful no matter which style you practice. It's also pretty stinking cool to see this old Indian guy folding himself into pretzel-like poses (the rreeeeeallly advanced positions.)

K.

kimmyt

Sep 24, 2003, 2:44 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Regarding all the yoga posts, I found a pretty interesting article on another website about yoga and climbing. I put a link to it on a thread I started in Techniques and Training, so if you're interested check it out.

K.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook