RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

veganclimbr

May 5, 2003, 3:58 AM
Post #1 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Closet Climbing Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm thinking about building a wall at home yet living with my parents leaves me with very little space. Basically the only place that I could build one would be in my closet. Yes I know its a very small area but I think it could be quite fun none the less. Its 26in deep by 46in across by 96in high space and I can use the ceiling too. Is this at all feasible or am I just crazy and wasting my time? Thanks in advance for any of your help! :D

Partner coldclimb

May 5, 2003, 4:09 AM
Post #2 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Re: Closet Climbing Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well the picture of you spinning in circles while traversing, but not moving at all except a little bit up and down is rather funny and may make people wonder about your sanity. Can you do what I did, and climb around the outside of your house using windowsills, trim, decorative aluminum butterflies (see my pictures), and all that? That would make a much better wall. A closet would hardly be enough space for a hangboard.

collegekid

May 5, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #3 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just put in a hangboard

mr.poo
Deleted

May 5, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #4 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can build a small overhanging wall in your room that does no damage to the interior of the room. it is freestanding. i am going to build it in my apartment next year. i have one at home, i am at college, and it was in my attic. just say so if you want more instruction on how to do so.

alvchen

May 5, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #5 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could just have all the framing in the closet, but have it "recline" out of the closet. And when you're done, just push it back into the closet.

mr.poo
Deleted

May 5, 2003, 6:11 AM
Post #6 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just like your ambition.

enigma

May 5, 2003, 6:45 AM
Post #7 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So I'm thinking about building a wall at home yet living with my parents leaves me with very little space. Basically the only place that I could build one would be in my closet. Yes I know its a very small area but I think it could be quite fun none the less. Its 26in deep by 46in across by 96in high space and I can use the ceiling too. Is this at all feasible or am I just crazy and wasting my time? Thanks in advance for any of your help! :D

Why not move out of your parents house?? :roll: Or ask them if you can use the living room for a climbing wall and make them delicious vegan cuisine, in gratitude, :idea: Or ask them for membership dues in a local climbing gym. :!: Or use the garage :?: :?: Or make one of those movable walls and place climbing holds on that !!! Or climb outside :shock:

veganclimbr

May 5, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #8 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why not move out of your parents house?? :roll: Or ask them if you can use the living room for a climbing wall and make them delicious vegan cuisine, in gratitude, :idea: Or ask them for membership dues in a local climbing gym. :!: Or use the garage :?: :?: Or make one of those movable walls and place climbing holds on that !!! Or climb outside :shock:

1. I'm still in school and therefor am Reliant on my mothers funds
2. "It's called a living room. It's for living not for climbing."-Mom
3. I have a membership to the local Climbing gym yet they have wacky hours and at times I just need my climbing fix!
4. We have a 2 car garage with 2 cars. theirfor no room whatsoever.
5. I climb outside every chance I get. But again I would like to have a place to practice and just mess around.
6 Your sarcasm is not needed I'm just asking for some ideas that any of you may have and thankyou to everyone else who has been more than helpful so far.

enigma

May 6, 2003, 6:41 AM
Post #9 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

1. I'm still in school and therefor am Reliant on my mothers funds
2. "It's called a living room. It's for living not for climbing."-Mom
3. I have a membership to the local Climbing gym yet they have wacky hours and at times I just need my climbing fix!
4. We have a 2 car garage with 2 cars. theirfor no room whatsoever.
5. I climb outside every chance I get. But again I would like to have a place to practice and just mess around.
6 Your sarcasm is not needed I'm just asking for some ideas that any of you may have and thankyou to everyone else who has been more than helpful so far.
Some of my ideas were excellent, movable climbing wall-what's wrong with that?? hmmn=
Or ask them to move one of the cars for you!!! :roll:
You just sound like a child, :!: Grow up!! Making a climbing wall in a small closet,really now, you weren't serious,were you??? :roll: :lol: :lol:

cadaverchris

May 6, 2003, 7:29 AM
Post #10 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why is everyone on this site always trying to start fights and flame wars.

whatever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all"

and yes constructive criticism is "nice" =)

climb hard inside and out!

i say put up a hangboard veganclimbr!!!!

dlintz

May 6, 2003, 7:46 AM
Post #11 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't try to make a wall in the closet, you'll only be disappointed that it's not bigger. Personally I think the hangboard should be called hangbored but that's just me.

If you've got the motivation and some helpful friends I'd go for a freestanding wall in the backyard. A search of this site should give you some design ideas. Good luck.

enigma

May 6, 2003, 8:23 AM
Post #12 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't try to make a wall in the closet, you'll only be disappointed that it's not bigger. Personally I think the hangboard should be called hangbored but that's just me.

If you've got the motivation and some helpful friends I'd go for a freestanding wall in the backyard. A search of this site should give you some design ideas. Good luck.

Just to show how much I care veganclimber, I saw one of these movable climbing walls for sale right here, under used gear from a jstreet guy-now you can have what you want ,see how sincere I am. 8)

beercanclimber

May 6, 2003, 5:39 PM
Post #13 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Just to show how much I care veganclimber, I saw one of these movable climbing walls for sale right here, under used gear from a jstreet guy-now you can have what you want ,see how sincere I am. 8)

uhh i think yer missing two things, first off, he's already said he can't really afford to buy anything and therefore was interested in other alternatives. so continually suggesting the same thing isn't going to be very helpful. secondly, i agree with vegan on the fact that the sarcasm is a little lame. you calling someone childish because his mom wants to live in her house and not climb in it doesn't really do much but aggravate people and make you look narrow minded.

i agree with dlintz about being somewhat disappointed with a closet sized wall. i even have a decent size wall and have kinda lost interest in it after a few months. with something smaller i think i would become boring due to lack of problems, even if you were moving holds around. if you don't have the space i would suggest just sticking to a finger board, because a wall that size will most likely not be accomplishing much more for you than that.

enigma

May 6, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #14 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

uhh i think yer missing two things, first off, he's already said he can't really afford to buy anything and therefore was interested in other alternatives. so continually suggesting the same thing isn't going to be very helpful. secondly, i agree with vegan on the fact that the sarcasm is a little lame. you calling someone childish because his mom wants to live in her house and not climb in it doesn't really do much but aggravate people and make you look narrow minded.

i agree with dlintz about being somewhat disappointed with a closet sized wall. i even have a decent size wall and have kinda lost interest in it after a few months. with something smaller i think i would become boring due to lack of problems, even if you were moving holds around. if you don't have the space i would suggest just sticking to a finger board, because a wall that size will most likely not be accomplishing much more for you than that.

Me narrowminded, :?: :lol: :lol: I'm as easy-going as people get, besides dear, Chris--I think this is a troll or something he wrote when he was half-asleep or stoned. :twisted:

veganclimbr

May 6, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #15 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Me narrowminded, :?: :lol: :lol: I'm as easy-going as people get, besides dear, Chris--I think this is a troll or something he wrote when he was half-asleep or stoned. :twisted:

When I asked the question I was quite serious and looking for genuine suggestions and helpful information and I got that from everyone but you. Now I don't care what your opinion on my situation is but in the future it might be wise just to keep quiet because your sarcasm is not encouraging in the slightest bit.
That aside i've decided to get a hangboard and go from there. The free standing wall sounds like a great idea and as summer rolls around it will most likely be the way I go. Again thanks for all your suggestions you really have been very helpful and aside from the troll this is looking to be a great and helpful forum. THANKS! :)

enigma

May 7, 2003, 6:27 AM
Post #16 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

When I asked the question I was quite serious and looking for genuine suggestions and helpful information and I got that from everyone but you. Now I don't care what your opinion on my situation is but in the future it might be wise just to keep quiet because your sarcasm is not encouraging in the slightest bit.
That aside i've decided to get a hangboard and go from there. The free standing wall sounds like a great idea and as summer rolls around it will most likely be the way I go. Again thanks for all your suggestions you really have been very helpful and aside from the troll this is looking to be a great and helpful forum. THANKS! :)

So who gave you the free standing wall idea, :roll: :?: you don't even know how to read.
I gave you the idea, :idea: I must have been right, you just half-asleep -re-read the posts. :shock: Obviously you're taking my idea-- :!: You are just a child and not even a literate one. :lol: Be grateful instead. :wink:

overlord

May 7, 2003, 6:51 AM
Post #17 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put in a campus or finger board

chalker7

May 9, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #18 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

leave the guy's sarcasm alone. ull live even if he does bruise ur pathetically sensitive ego. go eat some damn red meat.

veganclimbr

May 10, 2003, 7:04 AM
Post #19 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
leave the guy's sarcasm alone. ull live even if he does bruise ur pathetically sensitive ego. go eat some damn red meat.

You're very witty.

apollodorus

May 10, 2003, 7:48 AM
Post #20 of 20 (5144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't resist: If you're a hangboard climber, you should stay in the closet.

DOH!

I only wrote that because the opening was so easy.

No offense intended.

Here's another way to get a workout:

Get an old rope and some 1" PVC plumbing pipe. Cut the pipe into 12" pieces. Drill holes about 1" from the ends. Tie a fig-8 in the middle of the rope, then thread the rope and tie overhands to make the PVC pieces into ladder rungs. Tie another fig-8 at the bottom of the rope ladder ("Bachar Ladder"). Clip the top fig-8 to a tree branch, and the other end so the ladder is at a 30 degree angle. You can drive a stake in the ground to anchor the lower end.

You can go up hanging off the bottom for pull-ups, or go up the upper side as a slackline-type balancing act.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook