RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

shank

May 9, 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Dixon Springs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Is this place still open to climbing?

I was think of doing some bouldering this weekend and was going to check it out if it is.

andy_lemon

May 10, 2003, 2:49 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Re: Dixon Springs [In reply to]
Report this Post

Well, it used to be in the routes database along with other crags I had added but I guess it got deleted... wish the guy who deleted the crags I had added would have sent a pm to me. I do not know why Dixon Springs was deleted...

Went to Dixon Springs and bouldered last summer. I basically went there to get info so I could upload it here at the site. What I had gathered fron the park rangers that work there on a regular basis was that climbing is not allowed at Dixon Springs. However, due to extreme popularity and a fraction of small history (thanks to John Gill) the park rangers overlook bouldering. The let bouldering slide since no trouble can be caused and there hadn't been any known injuries. However, the rangers said that if they saw someone roping up (most likely on one of the hiking trails at Dixon Springs which will lead to a couple of cliffs) that they would probably take action. Whether that be confiscating gear or issueing a ticket, I don't know. They never said.

It is deffinately worth the drive to go boulder a bit. It is also nice and peaceful. You will be in the middle of a few other choice crags as well.

later,
Andy

shank

May 11, 2003, 9:37 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Well I went to Dixon Spring and bouldered today for a while, my endurence went to he!! after surgery.

Is there any other good spots to boulder there than the obvious one by the road behind the pool?

I started down the Ghost Dance Canyon Trail and found some rock down there. Are there any good problems down there? I didn't look too hard as I had left my truck unlocked with keys in ignition.

I did find some good projects for me though. Man did I get weak.

andy_lemon

May 12, 2003, 5:22 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think before they became a popular park and made climbing regulations, people used to rope up down the canyon trail... somewhere? Anyhow, I think the best bouldering is by the pool.

Andy

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook