Forums: Climbing Partners: US - West Coast:
Looking for partner(s) (Bay Area, or not)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

tjanke

May 6, 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Looking for partner(s) (Bay Area, or not)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi!

I'm a trad climber looking for partner(s), local or not (I live in the South Bay). I'd like to do local (Bay Area) stuff afternoons and weekends, and hit Yosemite every coupla months (or more). So if you're local and you wanna grab some time on local rock, great! But if you live in Sacto or elsewhere and you want to meet up in Yosemite, that's great, too. Heck, it's all great! :)

I haven't climbed in 5 years, and I'm really itching to get back on the rock! I used to lead 5.8+, but I was out of shape then :oops:; I'm in much better shape now, so who knows? :D

I've got a decent trad rack, the beginnings of a big-wall rack (aiders, pins etc, but no hammer or haul-bag), and a couple of ropes.

For local stuff, afternoons and weekends are good for me. I'm planning a couple of Yosemite weekends this spring/summer, first one possibly end of May/early June. 8)

If interested, PM or email me (janke@bigfoot.com)

Cheers,
Tim

mtnjohn

May 6, 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #2 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Re: Looking for partner(s) (Bay Area, or not) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim,
I live in Marin and I'm always looking for partners
Actually, I'm looking for a partner for Yosemite this weekend
Anyone interseted PM me

tjanke

May 6, 2003, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, John,

Phooey! This weekend is no good for Yosemite. But I'll be going up in a few weeks; if you wanna go again so soon, terrif! I'll PM you and post as my plans firm up.

Wanna do local stuff?

Cheers,
Tim

nate

May 11, 2003, 12:46 AM
Post #4 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Tim

I have mon-thursdays completly open and am looking for partners to do some outdoors climbing in the south bay area.. or farther. Anyone else interested with a similar wacky schedule pm me as well.

climbingfree

May 11, 2003, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim - I happen to be in Santa Cruz at the moment and would be interested in climbing with you anytime and anywhere! And after my road tripping, if I accept this darned corporate job that wants me, I will be in Los Gatos permanently...and wanting to take off every weekend to Yosemite, Tuolumne, or Lover's Leap. Let me know when and where you had in mind.

Michele

scallywag

May 13, 2003, 2:13 AM
Post #6 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I'm from australia and visiting the San Fran area for two weeks - may 24th till June 5th. i really want to go climbing, and obviously will have a pretty flexible schedule. i will have just personal gear with me - harness/helmet etc.

i can lead comfortably at 5.7 level and second 5.9, TR som 5.10 stuff. want to get to Yosem too during that time.

i think i will start my own thread, but if you're interested, PM me.

cheers, SALLY!

hassan

May 13, 2003, 3:56 AM
Post #7 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Tim,

I am in sunnyvale, and looking for a partner for local stuff too. I usually go to Indian Rock on hwy 35. Before I leave for Holland (which is about 3 months from now) I would like to make a couple of trips to Yosemite as well.

I am a novice leader and have led couple of sport (5.10a ) routes. I am not fully aware of my leading abilities as I have only led a 5.7 trad in Yosemite.

Only weekends work for me but I do go to planet granite gym twice a week during the weekdays.

My trad rack is fairly OK. If interested email me at hassaniqbalkhan@hotmail.com

Hassan

wantstoclimb

May 13, 2003, 7:51 AM
Post #8 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am gonna be moving back to the south bay over the summer stating june 15-till end of september. I'll be looking for both an outdoor and a gym partner email me or send me a pm.

watersprite

May 13, 2003, 6:53 PM
Post #9 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to climb outdoors!!! There is a cliff at Castle Rock park in Saratoga with 7 good routes - Chimps in Negligees, Death and Taxes, Mother in Law - need an experienced lead climber to teach me.
I can bring beer and bagels and I'm an attentive belayer!!

tjanke

May 16, 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #10 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allright! This is a better response than I expected.

Sorry, folks, that I haven't responded sooner - I got distracted with non-climbing things (you know how life is), and then RC.com was down for awhile.

I'll be responding to each of you by PM this evening (Fri 5/16). But in the meantime: I'm climbing at Castle Rock this Sunday! First time back on the rock in 5 years, and I can't wait! I thought maybe the falls first, then head up to CR itself and do A Farewell To Arms. Of course, if you've got something else in mind, I'm well open to suggestion. And, if no one shows up, I'll just boulder. :^)

If any of you want to meet up, meet me in the CR parking lot at 10am on Sunday; I'll be the guy wearing a black tie-dye shirt and a foolish grin.

Climb on!

tjanke

May 20, 2003, 8:16 AM
Post #11 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one from this thread managed to make it out to CR on Sunday, but I serendipitously met a couple of very nice people, Mike and Sylvia, from the southbay_climbers Yahoo group, and we spent the day at Summit Rock and Last Temptation Cliff. A very fun time was had by all. :D Nice people, you'd like 'em.

Don't know what my plans are for next weekend (5/24/03). I'll post here, PM and email as appropriate.

Climb On!

aviatrix

Jun 9, 2003, 7:30 PM
Post #12 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys,

I'm from San Jose/Davis and am pretty new to climbing. I'm taking an outdoor toproping class (this sunday, yay!) and, fingers crossed, a leading class. I don't really know what level I'm climbing because I'm addicted to the enduro tracks right now, but I was taking the 5.8s pretty easily at the gym. If anyone wants to go for an easier day or give me some pointers, I'd love you forever.

Katy

watersprite

Jun 9, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #13 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm on vacation all next week (June 15-22) and can travel - pm me if you want to climb - Mt. St. Helena, Mt. Tam, Pinnacles (if not too hot); Berkeley, and of course, the local crag - Castle Rock.
also bouldering at Castle evenings if not elsewhere... 6-9 pm tonight fr instance.

tjanke

Jun 11, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #14 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, Katy,

I'll be climbing at Castle Rock SP most weekends this summer, and you're more than welcome to join. You might also want to check out the SouthBay Climbers Yahoo group. I've met a bunch of great people thru there. This weekend I won't be home, but PM me about the weekend after (6/26).

For what it's worth:

Pointer #1 - gym ratings do not translate well to the outdoors. :(

Pointer #2 - each area can have it's own grading 'slant', if you will. For instance, I learned to lead 5.9 at Lover's Leap (near Tahoe), but I just spent the weekend in Yosemite where a couple of 5.8's kicked my little fanny, :shock: and I even found the 5.7's quite challenging. :oops: When it comes to grades at an area you've never climbed before, caveat emptor. :?

Beyond that, welcome to climbing; you'll have a great time. :D

Cheers,
Tim

kevlar

Jun 11, 2003, 8:26 PM
Post #15 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rock in yosemite seems to be slicker

howdidshedothat

Jun 19, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #16 of 16 (3743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Tim
I live in the bay area and would love to do some climbing with you. PM me if you like
Noel
8)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook