RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

sheldonjr

May 15, 2003, 2:54 AM
Post #1 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Yet ANOTHER Moccasym thread...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, I looked around at all the other threads on the Mocc's. And I know you should get em waay small, but I'm just wondering: If I get a pair where my toes curl, will they stretch lengthwise so I'll be able to straighten em out? Thanks all. :P

duskerhu

May 15, 2003, 10:09 AM
Post #2 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yet ANOTHER Moccasym thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If I get a pair where my toes curl, will they stretch lengthwise so I'll be able to straighten em out? Thanks all. :P

HMmmmm... Let's wonder together... Stretching length-wise would require the sole of the shoe to stretch to the length of your foot; or the material of the upper to stretch enough for your foot to straighten out.

What do you think Sheldon? Does it seem logical for a shoe to stretch in that manner? Doesn't seem likely to me...

The problem you face then is, if you buy them the correct length for your foot, are they going to be tight enough width-wise to keep your foot from rolling over in them???

Quite the quandary you have there eh?

duskerhu

bolthappy

May 16, 2003, 1:10 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had 8 pairs and for some reason most if no all my friends climb in them or have a pair. My girl friend has thin feet and I have wide feet .
This is what I have learned , some of my friends have crammed their feet into too small pairs and they still worked but the rand wore out quickly and needed a toe rand fix .
Fit them like this: start with your shoe size, the toe should be just slightly bent but maybe not, your looking for no air space in the toe box or heal they may feel tight at first.
Take them home soak them in water until totaly wet, put them on, watch a movie walk around some take them off when they hurt , do this till they are mostly dry . the first day at the crag you will find they preform well and are comfortable

shivers86

May 16, 2003, 2:15 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, why do you want your toes to lie flat unless you're climbing cracks. I always thought you wanted you're toes curled to grap the rock better. It's worked for me.
Also I'd be careful about soaking in them in water. I'm not an expert on this but from what I've heard you can easily pop a seam after soaking them.
My boss wears Moccs and he says he loves them but cram them in as tight as you can. But I guess you already knew that.

bolthappy

May 16, 2003, 8:05 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's worked for me for the past 6 years of wearing the mok's but than what do I know :roll:
I have several pairs that I have washed a half dozen times , makes them look like new and tightens them up and my feet don't slide in the slime.
DO NOT WAST OR SOAK IN HOT WATER I have also done this with other 5.10 shoes with no problem EVER.
They are my favorite shoe, no pain climb all day I even use the old loose ones ( after three resoles) on multi pitch and never take them off. :D

climbalon

May 22, 2003, 4:43 AM
Post #6 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair and they are very comfortable shoes. The sizing depends on the type of climbing your a going to do. for big wall or crack climbing you probably want your shoe size. If you heel hook or face climb using small edges you will want a pair .5-1 size down. The moccasym's use your foots compression to edge instead of a stiff midsole. Also if you heel hook in moccasyms that are to big they will pop right off. I speak from experience.

bolthappy

Jul 15, 2003, 1:35 PM
Post #7 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In case no one has noticed 5.10 has changed the Moccasym, you can tell them from the old Moc by the white XXX on the pull on tabs and the new wimpy rand material.I have worn the new ones till ready for a sole and rand repair and compared them to several other worn pairs I own. The new rand material is weak and does not keep your foot as snug, so they do not preform as well.
I am a loyal 5.10 costumer and this is not a burn and this beta is just FYI. I just hat to see a shoe with such a following go to a cheap shoe status.

gunkiemike

Jul 15, 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First of all, why do you want your toes to lie flat unless you're climbing cracks. I always thought you wanted you're toes curled to grap the rock better.

Well the rest of the world has evidently figured out how to climb with flat toes. Good luck with your scrunched up feet, but please - don't tell anyone e.g. at the gym where you work, that this is the way to fit rock shoes.

jt512

Jul 15, 2003, 4:28 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If I get a pair where my toes curl, will they stretch lengthwise so I'll be able to straighten em out? Thanks all. :P

HMmmmm... Let's wonder together... Stretching length-wise would require the sole of the shoe to stretch to the length of your foot; or the material of the upper to stretch enough for your foot to straighten out.

What do you think Sheldon? Does it seem logical for a shoe to stretch in that manner? Doesn't seem likely to me...

The problem you face then is, if you buy them the correct length for your foot, are they going to be tight enough width-wise to keep your foot from rolling over in them???

Quite the quandary you have there eh?

duskerhu

Nice logic. Completely wrong, though. Yes, moccasyms stretch lengthwise. If you don't want them to fit sloppily after a few weeks of use, buy a size that becomes painful after about 5 minutes. They break in very quickly.

-Jay

grigriese

Jul 15, 2003, 6:44 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay is right - buy them so they are almost unbareabley painful. As in one route and you are begging to take them off. They will stretch out quickly! I have two pair and I would wear them for one route whenever I would go climbing then after about a month and a half I would just start wearing them all the time. They are great shoes. I also have a pair of Zlippers, very similar feel. BTW - I have narrow feet and 5.10's usually don't work so well for narrow feet but moccasyms stretch to accomadate whatever your foot shape is. Don't know about the newer XX version. I have the old ones without the XX's on the pulls.

bolthappy

Jul 15, 2003, 8:48 PM
Post #11 of 11 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Down size the new ones with the XX pull tabs 1\2 size smaller than the old moc because they have a wimpy rand. What's amazing about the Moc they seem to fit everyone, so much for that cowdura $#!t
You can cram your feet into the Moc, I have friends that went extreme , It will work, but you will go through the toe rand.
I size mine with a bent big toe ( not curled ) No air pockets to be felt in the toe or heal, it works for me and usually by the 3 day at the crag they are comfy even on the long sport routes. I have some with 3 resoles, than they become good all day multi pitch shoes.
The new Moc's are weak and do not preform as well as the old, you can still find the old Moc's, on sale if you surf.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook