Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbnow1

May 21, 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #1 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

World trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I´m planing to go on a 8 month climbing, bouldering and of course photographing trip around the world in december. The trip is supposed to include the US, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. Therefore I´d apreciate any kind of information and suggestions where to go when, which crags I need to see. I thought about the Salt Lake City area, Hueco and Bishop fort the US, Castle Hill in NZ, Grampians, Arapiles, Blue Mountains and Nowra in Australia and lots of stuff in South Africa. I´d also be very grateful for any help concerning getting around, where to stay etc... . Hopefully I ´ll be able to meet some of the rc.com users around the world.... let´s just see. :wink:

ozclimber

May 22, 2003, 4:52 AM
Post #2 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Re: World trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If u need info on Australia id be happy to help. Ive spent plenty of time in the Arapiles and Grampians area and im sure i could probably point u in the right direction. Let me know.

scallywag

May 22, 2003, 5:17 AM
Post #3 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I won't be around, am on my own world trip, but i know a lot of decent climbers that get to Arapiles and the Gramps a lot. My base is in Adelaide, there are a couple great local crags like Morialta and Onkaparinga that are extremely accesible there, so if it does make it into your journey, i can hook you up with a stack of tourguides! (no one ever goes to Adelaide tho! :( )

sally.

climbsomething

May 22, 2003, 7:22 AM
Post #4 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can I bug you to come to my local dirtpile crags and take pictures of me and my friends? 8) Really, for the U.S., you really gotta hit up Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Red Rocks. Those are classic locales! Maybe Squamish in British Columbia too?

dmon

May 22, 2003, 7:34 AM
Post #5 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nobody goes to Adelaide because it is a hole... :D

Arapiles is fantastic. It will blow you away. Make sure you go up central gully and check out the bouldering, it is also world class.

Make sure you spend some time in Sydney if you like bouldering, there is some really cool stuff in really nice area's. I'll be happy to show you around, but remember that December is summer down here and it will be hot (especially at Araps). This will also mean its good beach weather though.

Don't know much about New Zealand, but I do know that I want to go to Castle Hill.

Email if there's anything you want to ask, I am very envious...

Duncan

enigma

May 22, 2003, 8:34 AM
Post #6 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can I bug you to come to my local dirtpile crags and take pictures of me and my friends? 8) Really, for the U.S., you really gotta hit up Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Red Rocks. Those are classic locales! Maybe Squamish in British Columbia too?

Maybe you should look at his profile first, its taken at Yosemite. :roll: I also think you might want to look closely at his previous photos of the type of subjects he normally photographs.;they're artistic. :idea:

baldy

May 22, 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #7 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While you're in NZ go to Takaka, Golden Bay (crags are behind hangdog campsite). Some of the best (often argued to be the best) climbing in NZ. Nice bolted limestone, native bush, and a nice river, its a beautiful place and great rock.
Central North Island has a lot of good rock to and expanding rapidly. Bryces in Whakapapa south is one of the best source of info you'll find on climbing in the north island (any climber in NZ should know who Bryce is).
Enjoy the trip.

climbnow1

May 22, 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #8 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to be a bit more precise : December/January in the US; February in NZ; March April in Austr. and May,June + July in SA. :wink:

climbsomething

May 22, 2003, 8:24 PM
Post #9 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Maybe you should look at his profile first, its taken at Yosemite. :roll: I also think you might want to look closely at his previous photos of the type of subjects he normally photographs.;they're artistic. :idea:
Aww, lookit that, enigma tried to flame me and- grand irony- make ME look stupid.

Yes I know that photo was taken in Yosemite. It's a classic, world-famous problem, Midnight Lightning, V8. I was just suggesting that he go all-out like he does at his crags in France, Germany, etc, and take some of the best photos ever taken of Yosemite.

Although, if he goes to JTree (where you are a known itinerant rock maven), he could snap a few frames of you in all your glory!

climbsomething

May 22, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #10 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Just to be a bit more precise : December/January in the US; February in NZ; March April in Austr. and May,June + July in SA. :wink:
Then definitely go to Joshua Tree and/or Red Rocks. It will be cool out but assuming the weather is otherwise kind, you will be at two beautiful destination areas.

What fun... I'd LOVE to travel the world, climbing and taking photos!

EDIT: oh, he's already got Hueco on his hit list ;)

atg200

Post #11 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

salt lake area will be really cold in december/january. go to indian creek and pray for warmth, hueco tanks, joshua tree, and twall in the southeast. also go to potrero chico in northern mexico.

wigglestick

Post #12 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jorg, you are welcome to stay at my place anytime. But only if you drag along Sarah Seeger with you :D

phillycheese

May 22, 2003, 8:37 PM
Post #13 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If you're going to head to Salt Lake in Dec./January, make sure to bring your ice tools and your skis or snowboard. The weather will be pretty cold. In those months, your best bet will be to stay south. (Cali, AZ, Texas, Florida- j/k about Florida)

Partner calamity_chk

May 22, 2003, 9:51 PM
Post #14 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should come to Dallas. We've got world-class crags that are so awesome the crowds stay away. Heck, why do you think camhead left the state. He couldnt handle the cragging here.

Hells yeah.
amber

climbnow1

May 23, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #15 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that it´s going to be quite cold in the slc - area but i´d love to boulder in Ibex and Joe´s Valley ... so cold weather is not really a problem i think ... and i have a warm sleeping bag :wink:

phillycheese

May 23, 2003, 5:51 PM
Post #16 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know that it´s going to be quite cold in the slc - area but i´d love to boulder in Ibex and Joe´s Valley ... so cold weather is not really a problem i think ... and i have a warm sleeping bag :wink:

i'm impressed! just bring a shovel for the top outs :lol: :lol: J/K. it shouldn't be too bad. the only downside to utah is their weak beer. have you thought about heading up to the City of Rocks while you're in the area?

clymber

May 26, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #17 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i see you didnt mention the gunks on your list...granted it might be a bit cold in Dec but on the return part of you trip would be a great place to stop

Partner calamity_chk

May 26, 2003, 6:32 PM
Post #18 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dallas dallas dallas

slappy

May 27, 2003, 1:05 AM
Post #19 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whanganui Bay (on the edge of Lake Taupo) in NZ is also supposed to be fantasmo. Wharepapa is great (Bryce is the greatest and has lots of GEAR), there is no trad climbing here as the rock is too soft but the bolts are awesome (placed by Tony who you would no doubt meet as he currently lives at Bryce's I think)

slappy

May 27, 2003, 1:09 AM
Post #20 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

should have probably said www.climb.co.nz might be quite useful ;)

dmon

May 27, 2003, 1:56 AM
Post #21 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And www.climbing.com.au will probably be some help too...

alpinerock

May 27, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #22 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm... Salt Lake City say??, if the weather permits you should try I Scream in hell cave(American Fork Canyon) Its only seen one ascent, i think it would be sweet if you or one of your party could get the second.

alpinerock

May 27, 2003, 3:03 AM
Post #23 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm... Salt Lake City say??, if the weather permits you should try I Scream in hell cave(American Fork Canyon) Its only seen one ascent, i think it would be sweet if you or one of your party could get the second.

climbnow1

Jun 6, 2003, 5:51 PM
Post #24 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be heading to Phoenix first in the beginning of december and try to buy a car there to get to Hueco and then back northwards. Any help or recommandation about getting a car or about crags near phoenix (bouldering / sport ) are warmly welcome.

Thanks for all the infos !!

screamer

Jun 6, 2003, 7:13 PM
Post #25 of 28 (3531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dec/Jan for Ibex and Joes and Triassic should be really good, it was last winter. I got snowed out only once and pretty much boulder at one of those areas every weekend. For routes Indian Creek and the Utah Hills/VRG should be good also....On inversion days in SLC the Hideaway and Billboard are good. Everything else in AF cold as shizzle..

P.S. Alpinerock, I Scream has seen a second....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook