RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

alpinerock

May 25, 2003, 1:26 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

work out routines
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing for about 2 months now and need to work out so i can keep on improving my level, any suggestions on a good workout routine???

tarzan420

May 25, 2003, 2:57 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Re: work out routines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to get this out of the way, climb more.

Things that I am doing to try to improve my climbing:
running and biking - this is more in effort to loose some weight; at 5'8" and 190lbs, the best thing I think i can do for my climbing is loose some weight.

laps on the wall - Right now i'm just using all the holds, someday I will do laps on routes. Can be done outside, for those of us who don't have anywhere near to climb and/or no car.

light weight training to work opposing muscle groups that are not worked when climbing.

There are also many books on this subject.

xanx

May 25, 2003, 3:34 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

omg.... i normally try to be as helpful and patient as possible with people posting FAQ's here, since i myself have been know to ask questions that probably could have been answered with a slightly more in-depth search... but this is just rediculous...

DO A SEARCH! THERE ARE A MILLION POSTS ON TRAINING FOR CLIMBING AND A MILLION DIFFERENT (CONFLICTING) PIECES OF ADVICE ON WHAT WILL OR WILL NOT HELP YOU!!

climbsomething

May 25, 2003, 3:52 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey xanx, wat shoe should I get, the Boreals Zen or the Anisazi Velcroe? Am I too fat or too old to klimb? what does the V scale mean? Thanx man!!!1

8) :lol:

rockcrawler

May 25, 2003, 4:30 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xanx thats very nice of you why dont you cut him some slack next time. He is new at climbing do you think maybe he is new on rc.com

crack_climber

May 25, 2003, 4:57 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with rockcrawler on that one....I was in his same shoes, and probably to some extent still am...I got a lot of knowledge from posting messages about questions I had...questions that I didn't know had already been posted before because I was new...just a thought...

xanx

May 25, 2003, 5:07 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok perhaps i was a bit harsh and i apologize for that, but it was nothing personal. my advice still stands: a quick search will yield more info than you want. the "search" menu is right under the "users" menu and is above the "forums" menu, so i think it is somewhat safe to assume that the poster knew or at least had seen the search funtion here.

and i had already responded about twice with rather detailed posts about my opinions on training and my specific training advice. i want everyone to get the information/advice that they need, but i don't want to keep repeating myself over and over and over...

plus i had just seen something like this like 2 weeks ago... i can understand posting a question if something similar had been asked like 4 months ago or whatever, but a quick scan of forum topics would probably reveal something very quickly.

oh and: go with the anasazi velcros; you are never too old or too fat to climb, but can quickly become too old or too fat to climb hard :wink:

crack_climber

May 25, 2003, 5:19 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really? I always wondered about the Velcros :wink: In otherwords Alpinerock, you can search for this very same question using either the "Site Search" box at the top, or the "forums search" link on the left menu bar. I also know that there have been a couple of articles written on training (finger & arm strength is a good one) and routines in the article section (link on top menu bar). Hope this helps...

taraus_de_bull

May 25, 2003, 5:23 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpinerock, you say you've been climbing for two months. Well here's the bet tip i can give you. Training is a great thing for all climbers. Strength training is not a great thing for new climbers. Whatever you choose for training make sure if focuses on your technique. when you new to climbing it is important to learn good technique or you will regret it down the line. it is very hard to re-learn technique once you learn bad technique. With that in mind, their was a good post from tarzan420. biking or running is great for loosing a few extra pounds and is something you should look into. Also doing laps is great too, just make sure when you do laps you focus hard on technique. See the best traing for climbing is climbing. so when you are doing laps focusing on technique, not only are you training your mind to be a better climber you are also working you muscle making youself stronger.

you should not start strength training until at a very very very mininum a year of good technique practice. Technique can take you well into the high grades. Actually i've read that technique should be able to take you up til the high 5.12 grades and from there on out is about adding strength to hit 5.13 and above. but that is just what i've read. but from my experience technique has taken me to the 5.10d level and i've only been traing technique for about 8 months now. and i've never done any strength training YET, but it will come in time.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook