RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

frrreeeze

Jun 3, 2003, 7:37 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Gym in my garage
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hello there... Im thinking about building my own climbing gym in my garage... but the walls in the garage are small concrete plates.. how can I make this then? can anyone give me some advise... tnx

FRRREEEZE 8)

interruptor

Jun 3, 2003, 10:35 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gym in my garage [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This one was built in a garage too:

http://www.gmesintra.com/

The page is in portuguese so enter the "Muro de treino" section and you'll find a "Making off do muro". It's just a bunch of photos, no plans or anything, but you might get an idea.

cbeltrano

Jun 3, 2003, 12:24 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay my replies don't seem to be going on-line.... i'll try this again

there are a few threads on this topic already you might want to check them out along with doing a search on home climbing walls on google

In General:

you've already picked you spot so now you need to draw up a design. make it so you can add on to it later cause you'll probably get bored with it eventually unless it's BIG.

DO NOT make the wall vertical that getting bored thing i was talking about will happen way faster.

look for anything free. (construction sites for 2x4's rocks on the ground that can be turned in to holds and so on)

you will need:

2x4's, 2x6's, 3/4" ply wood, t-nuts, holds, a masonry bit (if you're going to use really rocks on your wall) and all of the other stuff (screws, paint, tools and so on)

things to remember:

don't use nails your wall will put out from the studs...... not fun. be sure to use wood screws

have someone help you in all steps. not only is this good for making work easy it'll give a different perspective to the wall other people's ideas will make it more interesting and more challenges.

hope this helps

geckoee

Jun 3, 2003, 12:48 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... but the walls in the garage are small concrete plates..

I'm guessing your main concern is that your garage walls are concrete, not wood studs? (This making other plans you found using the forum search not applicable to your application)

Are the "concrete plates" secure enough that you could put a masonry bolt in it and hang 500+ lbs? If it is go for it! You can either bolt up a support bar near the ceiling (wood or steel) and hang the wall off that, or bolt on several vertical pieces of wood and use them as studs, and do the standard wall construction you will see all over this site and the internet.

viciado

Jun 3, 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This one was built in a garage too:

http://www.gmesintra.com/

The page is in portuguese so enter the "Muro de treino" section and you'll find a "Making off do muro". It's just a bunch of photos, no plans or anything, but you might get an idea.

Been there done that. Built in a small one car garage, it has literally hundreds of various holds lending to an infinite variety of training options. The framing allows for some nice angles... its standard pitched roof joicing. The only suggestion I would make in addition is to USE 3/4 inch PLYWOOD. Pressboard with mahogany veneer looks nice, but with the humidity and sheer weight issues on the ceiling, the bolts have pulled out in a few spots... taking a chunk of the pressboard with it. In spite of the copious (old) mattresses on the concrete floor, I'm glad I wasn't the one pulling on the jug at the time.

Partner xcel360

Jun 3, 2003, 1:57 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you really don't feel drilling into the masonry (although it could easily be done), just frame out the wall with 2x4's or what not and go from there. worked for me!

dsafanda

Jun 3, 2003, 2:31 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably not exactly what you had in mind but this small free standing wall can be moved in or out of the garage. I've toyed with the idea of extending on to the ceiling of the garage but haven't bothered yet.

http:www.safanda.com/woody_600x450.jpg

scottcody

Jun 3, 2003, 2:45 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=14183

It is completly free standing. As suggested I framed out the portion of the garage where the wall was going, then attached the climbing surfaces to the frame. The frame is on 12 inch centers, and doubles as a tornado shelter... really, it does. the thing is F'ing bomber.

I got the curves by layering 3-4 sheets of 1/4 inch plywood.

A compound miter chop saw will take months off the time it takes to build your wall. I bought a 12" Dewalt for the sole purpose of building this wall.

Good luck... I learned a ton putting this together, and will be happy to share the info.

gasdr

Jun 3, 2003, 3:02 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I built a 4X8 wall and suspended it with hinges from the floor joist. It has 2X4's on each side that are adjustable for various angles of the wall. Not much but works great.

warranty_wizard

Jun 5, 2003, 7:47 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're looking to drill into concrete plates, just buy a box of tapcons. they come with a bit, im' sure you know the drill.

frrreeeze

Jun 6, 2003, 3:38 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tnx for all your information !!! I'll look around and try to put something in the wall... and then make a plan/scetch.... tnx for all !!!
FRRREEEZE 8)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook