RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

larryd

Jun 16, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1364 views)
Shortcut

good digital photo printer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning to get a new printer and would like to be able to print decent digital photos with it. When I get photos printed at the camera store on their high grade equipment, they look great (way better than my economy-grade inkjet). Are there any consumer type printers that will give good photo quality?

tradclimber2

Jun 16, 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Re: good digital photo printer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Larryd,
The printers at the camera store are usualy thermal-type, I believe. They do a great job but are a bit pricey. I do not have any experience in these. BUT, I do have an HP 7550 that I really like. VERY good photo quality for the home user. Retail usually about $299, but does go on sale now and then at Circuit City, Home Depot, etc.
I am sure others have other ideas. (THAT was a poor sentence ).
Ben

biff

Jun 17, 2003, 4:22 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on what you mean by decent. Almost any printer (over $100 regular price) that claims to be a photo printer (with 1200 dpi or whatever) will do a very nice job and give you photos that you can stick on your fridge, or in a small frame for a short time. If you want a nice 5x7 or something that will hold its colour for many years to come, I would suggest you get it printed at at photo Lab. I send my Photos to London Drugs, each 4x6 print costs about $0.40, 5x7's are around $2.00, and 8x10's are around $5.00. The paper and inks they use at a photo lab will last alot longer with better quality than any home ink-jet printer/photo paper.

tradclimber2

Jun 18, 2003, 12:52 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Biff, you are right there. The inkjet printer ink does fade and, in some cases, fades very quickly (talking a few months here). For long-lasting results, a 'commmercial-quality' type printer is better, or just spend the bucks and have them printed professionally. Either way, good quality is gonna cost.
Ben

chirp

Jun 18, 2003, 1:24 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like tradclimber2, I have an HP 7550, granted fading and such is an issue, getting really quality paper and ink will help there. I must admit tho if you have a digi camera it sure is fun and simple to print up pics for you or yer buds. If your looking for long term or selling, professional printing is the way to go BUT for super good home use, a nice printer is great!

xippi

Jun 25, 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have worked repairing printers for both HP and Lexmark and by all means Don't buy a lexmark.......HP Photosmart series printers are a little more pricey but well worth the investment.....

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook