RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kansasclimber

Jun 19, 2003, 9:42 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Packing food and other items for climbing trips
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am kind of new to taking weekend climbing trips. I have gone on maybe 4 of them now. What is the best type of food to take, other than ramen. I have found can goods are really nice becasue you dont even have to heat them up if you do not want to.

Is there any technique in packing climbing items. Thanks

deleted
Deleted

Jun 19, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Re: Packing food and other items for climbing trips [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

never put canned goods on top of eggs or bread.

raindog

Jun 19, 2003, 9:56 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of the guys I used to backpack with would just eat packets of instant oatmeal raw. Raw ramen is good too, but you said no ramen.... Bagels are really good to bring. Bring a jar of peanut butter or buy some refillable squeeze tubes from a camping supply store and put the peanut butter in there if you don't want to lug a whole jar of peanut butter. Almonds and other nuts are good for snacking. SPAM is ok if you can stand it but it's super bad for you. Apples are heavy but if you are not going far they are really good to bring. If you want protein, tuna is great, but heavy. Raisins are a good snack food, along with dried apricots, dried apples, banna chips, and anything else you can dry. You can also just make a sandwich or too and eat them on the first day before they spoil. Oh yeah, Cliff bars are good too.

Peace,
Jeff

meataxe

Jun 20, 2003, 1:26 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My suggestions for pack food:

[*:4f535c4703]Pita bread is the best for camping because you don't have to worry about crushing it.
    [*:4f535c4703]Dry salami will last for several days without refrigeration (note dry, not regular)
    [*:4f535c4703]Same goes for a quality Mozzerela. Not much flavour, but it keeps for a while.
    [*:4f535c4703]you really could just bring a whole bunch of granola bars and live off them. Saves on cooking and dishes.
    [*:4f535c4703]most Ramen is plain and doesn't have a lot of calories to keep you going. Look for supermarket instant pasta side-dishes that come complete with sauce. Alfredo-type cream sauces have pleny of life-sustaining calories.
    [*:4f535c4703]fat is your friend. It is 9 calories/gram compared to carbos at 4 calories/gram. This is really only important if you are hiking some distance. (Or multi-day / multi-pitch, I suppose.)
    [*:4f535c4703]I've never even been near a big-wall, but it has been pointed out that dehydrated foods are useless if you have to haul the weight of water up with you anyways.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 20, 2003, 1:55 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends. When you camp do you have access to your car? If so get a cooler and bring anything you want. If you are backpacking, refridgeration and weight are they biggest issues. Try to bring only what you think you will need. I just attended Mountain Leadership School in the White Mountains, NH. We backpacked for 4 days. Here are some things we brought:

Breakfast: Tang, instant oatmeal, cereal bars

Lunch: Pita bread, PB, pepperoni stick, sharp cheese, dried fruit, nuts, granola bars

Dinner: instant soup, dried prepared meals (rice and beans, chicken vegetable soup, pasta

Josh

sroehlk

Jun 20, 2003, 2:04 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My standard lunch is:

Bagel with chunky peanut butter (always bring a small jar) and jelly (if I have a few small packets) and an apple.

Then I usually snack the rest of the day - trail mix, cliff bar, dried fruit, stuff like that.

rodeomountain

Jun 20, 2003, 2:54 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what it's called but sears sells this thing you put your food in a bag and this machine sucks all the air out of the bag and seals it. Your food is supposed to last for like 5 years in the freezer. I'm getting one so I can loose the can from my can-goods and I don't have to carry a can opener. It seems like the can weighs almost as much as the food does inside it. Those camper food packs from Academy aren't bad but you have to carry the extra water to cook them. Try to take as much food as you can that you can cook without using water and carry a small sponge and washcloth so you can limit the amount of water needed to do your dishes.

straightedgeteen

Jun 20, 2003, 5:32 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am kind of new to taking weekend climbing trips. I have gone on maybe 4 of them now. What is the best type of food to take, other than ramen. I have found can goods are really nice becasue you dont even have to heat them up if you do not want to.

Is there any technique in packing climbing items. Thanks

Never let the bread go to the bottom

sroehlk

Jun 20, 2003, 5:56 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't know what it's called but sears sells this thing you put your food in a bag and this machine sucks all the air out of the bag and seals it. Your food is supposed to last for like 5 years in the freezer. I'm getting one so I can loose the can from my can-goods and I don't have to carry a can opener. It seems like the can weighs almost as much as the food does inside it. Those camper food packs from Academy aren't bad but you have to carry the extra water to cook them. Try to take as much food as you can that you can cook without using water and carry a small sponge and washcloth so you can limit the amount of water needed to do your dishes.

Vacuum Sealer - My mom got one and said it works pretty well. You can buy them at just about every department or discount store.

maculated

Jun 20, 2003, 6:01 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one word: Basil. Sometimes you just want a little greenage. You can buy a bunch of basil cheap. Get it fresh, but don't let it be moist, and it should keep for a couple of days. Greens, nummy alone, with bagels, or tossed into whatever.

vtposer

Jun 20, 2003, 10:15 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pizza, beer, and lots of snickers bars. everything the body needs.

pinkamy

Jun 21, 2003, 1:55 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get travel can openers than only weigh about a gram... that might help.

phreakdigital

Jun 21, 2003, 2:02 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cans are soooooo heavy it seems, but if your car camping it doens't matter...also if your only staying out of your pack for a night or two you could bring a can or two of something...and remember you will get some water from soups and stuff.

orangekyak

Jun 21, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Key words in the question "weekend climbing trip." So even if you can't run to the store, you're only going for a weekend. I'm assuming car camping. Either way, you should really consider good food.

To me, eating is a close second to actual climbing on any good trip. and if it rains on you, eating quickly rises to top spot. Eat good food.

Since it's a weekend trip, get a cooler. Don't mess around with one of those styrofoam coolers from the convenience stores. get a decent one that really shuts so that it keeps stuff cold (add ice, dude, ice).

Step two, leave the ramen at home. Get a backpacking or camping stove, or learn how to cook on a fire (without burning yourself or your food). If you cook on a fire make sure you have pots and pans that will put up with the abuse, and perhaps a grill grate.

Get your 5h1t together - seriously ... your cooking stuff. Always bring salt, pepper, milk (powdered if ya don't have a lot of refridgeration), Frank's Red Hot, margarine (squirt or tub are best). Gallons of water are good to have in your car or close by.

Plan meals as a group. Cheaper and actually easier. Get good at cooking, so that people want you to cook and you get them to do the dishes.

Some ideas that work well ...
Breakfast - breakfast sandwiches (egg, cheese, eng. muffin or bagel, works fine in a tortilla with some salso too), cold cereal, oatmeal/porridge if you must. tea, coffee, OJ

Lunch - sharp cheddar, pitas, hummus, tortillas, pbj, fresh fruit, trail mix/candy, lots of water

Dinner - pasta, steak on the campfire, corn on the cob is great, carrots, soups, burritos (zatarins or goya, cheese, salsa), baked potato, pita pizzas (heat up pizza sauce, cheese and any veggie toppings in a sauce pan and spoon into pitas)

Desert - smores, store-bought donuts, cookies, whatever.

daggerx

Jun 28, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well I live in a tent so Im getting perty good at the food stuff. Lets see I live on ramen noodles, power bars, clif bars, and everynow and then I treat my self to a potato and tuna dinner.

But I have lived on county time drink mix.

DaggerX

sheldonjr

Jun 28, 2003, 3:15 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sometimes you just want a little greenage.

LOL! (Did no one else catch this?)

Anyway. I recommend tortillas! The best: Canned chicken, (you can do the vacuum thing if you want.) A block-o-cheese. (Sweats, but keeps suprisingly well.) And tortillas. Throw in a little bit of green taco sauce, and voila! Chicken quesadillas! Just put em in a nonstick frying pan until they brown on the outside, ooh. Soo good!!!

(And maybe a little greenage after. :wink:)

alvchen

Jun 28, 2003, 4:09 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Military MREs aren't bad, if you're willing to spend a more money and carry a little more weight.

MREs have come a long way and aren't bad at all. It's the easiest way to get a hot meal. To get a hot meal, all you need is water, and it doesn't even have to be hot.

I think there's an anti-laxative in them though. After subsiding on them for a few days, I didn't have to take a #2 for 3 days.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook