RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

number7

Jun 25, 2003, 7:30 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Re-coating a rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What makes a rope "Dry" is the silicone coating they spray on the shealth during manufacturing. The water resistant spray you can buy almost anywhere is also a silicone spray. I was wondering if anyone has any info as to why you couldn't just buy a "non-dry" rope and spray it yourself. This could also solve the problem of Dry ropes losing their Dry quality after some use.

Any solid info would help.

Mike

tobcapone

Jun 25, 2003, 7:36 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Re: Re-coating a rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if I would want to spray my own rope. Who knows what the chemicals would do to it and I would hate to find out 100 feet up.

I don't really care for dry ropes b/c they tend to get "fuzzy" much easier. If you're not doing alot of ice or high alpine climbing I wouldn't say it's worth it.

Also I have a Beal non-dry and a Sterling dry and the Beal non-dry stays drier than the Sterling when I sling it through the snow!

petsfed

Jun 25, 2003, 7:55 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dry coatings usually go all over each strand of the sheath. For what its worth, if you really want to dry treat a rope, get the dry treatment wash stuff. You can find it somewhere on www.mgear.com (I don't really want to search right now).

cricket

Jun 25, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have also thought about this and wondered what I am going to do when my dry rope doesn't repel the water anymore. I have seen a product by Columbia Sportswear that wetproofs clothing/items in the washing machine. But again, do not know for sure on this...anyone else seen or used this?

cricket

Jun 25, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have also thought about this and wondered what I am going to do when my dry rope doesn't repel the water anymore. I have seen a product by Columbia Sportswear that wetproofs clothing/items in the washing machine. But again, do not know for sure on this...anyone else seen or used this?

gene

Jun 25, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just a random word on dry-ropes ...... if you're going to buy one it's a good idea to buy one from a european manufacturer. The chemical that makes the rope "dry" has to be dissolved in a "carrier"-fluid in order to apply it to the rope fibers. Euro-companies use a nice light solvent that evaporates away nicely afterwards. The US Environmental Protection Agency says that the particular solvent is a No-No, so US companies must use a different solvent that does not evaporate away as well and leaves a nice waxy residue on the rope.

Does your rope tend to get dirty quickly and deposit that black rope-gack all over your hands while belaying???? Most likely rope is US-made dry-rope and the "gack" is the waxy residue (which collects/holds dirt nicely) coming off on your hands.

Of course, being a good american, I deal with the rope-gack and spend my bucks on US-ropes ....... gotta support the team ......

number7

Jun 25, 2003, 11:54 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all, thanks for the info. I did some searching, and this is what I found:

http://www.mtntools.com/...rope/ste_proarid.htm

http://www.gx.starvedrockoutfitters.com/...G&Product_Code=12100

pinkamy

Jun 26, 2003, 1:21 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try it on a small piece of rope and see what happens. :)

gunkiemike

Jun 26, 2003, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are products sold BY THE ROPE MANUFACTURERS for this exact purpose. OK maybe it's only for RE-coating a dry rope, and not trying to waterproof a regular rope. But why oh why would you use fabric silicone like Scotchgard or Nikwax when you don't know what these will do to your rope???

smiley

Jun 26, 2003, 3:00 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't think these treatments lasted as long, but I suppose buying a new rope would be more expensive. Always worth a try..

leec

Aug 29, 2003, 5:09 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want the full skinny talk to Sterling tech support - these guys know what they are doing and have the best customer service and support going.

I've used their Arid Dry treatment and its a gem - easy to apply and amazing results. 11 out of 10.

Make sure you heat fix after you've dried it - but watch that tumble dryer carefully so's not to over heat your rope.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook