Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Any Gunks locals fancy an exchange trip to North Wales?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

joxter

Jul 8, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Any Gunks locals fancy an exchange trip to North Wales?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd like to get over to visit the Gunks this Fall, and ideally tap into a bit of local colour & knowledge. Oh, and do it on the cheap, of course! So here's the plan : you give me a spare bed, take me out and play 'sandbag the Brit' on the local horrorshows then we have a drink and laugh about it while I recover. Repeat, for a week or so.
For the return match, I put you up and take you on a tour of the weird & wonderful crags of Snowdonia, one of the crucibles of trad climbing in the UK. Check the article in Climbing #201 if tales of our delights have passed you by. Cenotaph Corner and Dream of White Horses await..
I live on a farm in the middle of the Snowdonia National Park, 15 mins from most of the main climbing areas. Its about 1hour45 from Manchester airport. And me? I'm a 36yr old part-time single parent, freelance management trainer, outdoor instructor and sometime juggler. I lead at about E1 which I guess is around 5.10 trad, a bit harder on bolts. Very safe, definitely not bold. Too old for it.
If you're a mountain biker too, we've got top-class riding all around, both natural and some sweet purpose-built singletrack.
Does this sound highly dubious yet straaangely appealing?
jock xx

clymber

Jul 22, 2003, 11:36 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any Gunks locals fancy an exchange trip to North Wales? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cant help you with the bed or climbing everyday for a week or so but if i were able to i would jump on that boat in a second....heres some thing you might want to look at there is a hostle in New Paltz that im sure isnt to busy and you might wantto also put a post in gunks.com....hope these ides help you out some
sorry i want able to

joxter

Jul 25, 2003, 10:50 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Clymber, I'll keep trying Gunks.com but the Partners bit is out of action at the moment. I gather there's a climbing fest around mid-October which gives me something to aim for maybe. C'mon folks, no more takers? Its not that wet & scary in Wales. Oh, hang on, it is
Jock xx

orangekyak

Jul 26, 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like your proposal, only I'm not a local, just a frequenter. If you like camping there's plenty of free and primitive camping at the gunks. Then all you need to find is a partner who is willing to camp and provide you some camping gear. Unfortunately, I have to work in the fall, but I wish you luck.

climbsomething

Jul 26, 2003, 3:36 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds neat! I am not a Gunks climber, obviously (Never been there... Arizona is reeeeally far away from NY ;) ) but I am of (partially) Welsh lineage- always wanted to check out The Little Bitty Country of Wales. Sounds like a sweet deal you're trying to negotiate. I wish you luck! To help out, I'll bump this thread to the top. *bump* :)

joxter

Jul 27, 2003, 10:43 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks folks, keep bumpin'!
Camping.. hmm.. getting a bit too soft & wussy for that lark; also hasslesome hauling tent etc on & off planes as well as rack & rope. Someone out there must have a reeeally comfy spare bed close to either the crags or the bars of New Paltz..
Oh, and whats a shoe thread?
Cheers
Jock

clymber

Aug 5, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hope your search is going good for the partner thing if not heres a idea...depending on when you are going to be going to the gunks you might want to try and contact the university in New Paltz....i know some schools will let you stay at them during the summer to generate xtra cash...you might want to look at that option also

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook