RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

katydid

Jul 12, 2003, 1:06 PM
Post #1 of 3 (260 views)
Shortcut

String playin' road trippers?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey string players,

Has anyone been on a road trip with their instruments before? If so, how did you handle the temps in the parked car/getting the poor things away from the heat when you were stopped? If I were just driving and staying in motels I wouldn't be worried, but there's going to be a lot of camping and climbing in my pilgrimage and very little of that fancy a/c stuff.

I'm going to be on the road shortly (combination road trip/move) and I've got three violins that are sacred to me (one of which is irreplaceable), not to mention some pretty pricey bows and whatnot. I'd rather have them on my person (don't trust the movers) if I can. But I'm terrified to leave my babies in the car and have bad things happen to them from the heat, not to mention the humidity changes.

Any advice?

Thanks,

k.

ptone

Jul 12, 2003, 4:25 PM
Post #2 of 3 (260 views)
Shortcut

Re: String playin' road trippers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's what I know...

Humidity is not as worrisome as aridity for wood.
If you're going thru the desert, I'd make sure to keep a slightly moistened something in there ('they' make these little tube sponge things just for that...)

Detune them if there is going to be huge temperature swings--the strings tighten and slacken quicker than the wood, so it can put stress on the neck. The temp change can also mar or check the finish--Esp. from cold to warm. Leave the cases closed and let them come to room temp as slowly as possible. I always crack the windows in heat, tho for me coming in from the cold is the killer. I always wait for avg. temp before I tune and play.

Anvil makes some nice road cases for any size instrument, and there are other companies--I don't know if they are totally hermetically sealed, but they would know. It might be worth spending a couple hundred on one for the 'irreplaceable' one...if it is anything like my roomates that cost would be insignificant.

And if yer drinkin and playin an evenin after, don't set it down too close to the fire afore ya pass out!

peace,
-p

sharpender

Jul 12, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #3 of 3 (260 views)
Shortcut

Re: String playin' road trippers? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
three violins that are sacred to me (one of which is irreplaceable)

First of all thank god that ptone is here to tell you how to protect your strings from the elements. But you also said you don't trust the movers and since you'll be on the road a while and leaving them in your car while your off, I see another more deadly risk - thieves. Unfortunately a reality we have to face in this world. I got ripped off at New River Gorge myself. Just money, gear and clothes and it's easy to move on from that - but "irreplaceable" violins? I would send those through Fed Ex if they were mine. Have a great trip.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook