RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

climbingpride

Jul 23, 2003, 11:53 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Takeing Pics from Above
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So? How do the pro's do it? How should i do it?

If I'm hanging on a rope looking down on the climber how do i keep the rope out of the way? What if you have to use the same anchors as the climber when they get there and have to share?

What are some ways to help atach the camera to your harness, sling around shoulder?

Do you often just sit in a long sling attached to the anchors at the top so you don't have to deal with the rope being in the way.

Now i probably wont be at the top of many severely overhanging routes so i don't need beta right now on having a second rope pulling you to the side/back/forward.

Thanks in advance.

climbsomething

Jul 24, 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Re: Takeing Pics from Above [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a pro, but this is how I do it:

Rappell over your subject (how you get above him is up to you and your good judgment- TR the route or one closeby, access the [rap] anchors from a walkoff, etc). Free your hands to maniuplate the camera by utilizing a fireman's belay or a friction trick, like the kleimheist and/or wrapping the rope around your leg. Prussiks or ascenders to help shimmy back up the rope can be helpful too. I carry my camera in a padded fanny pack (it's not a slim point n shoot, it's a standard-sized SLR; for your typical pocket camera I'd suggest using a chalk bag... ahem, a CLEAN chalk bag) and when it's time to get it out, I oh so carefully-keep that mother tethered somehow!- put it around my neck (with the included strap) and go to town. Sitting statically on the anchors is often pretty boring- unless you have a nice zoom, you're just going to get a little blob as the top of your subject's head; if the climb ends at a stance the protrusion could obscure your view; and being clipped into the chains by your belay loop will limit your mobility. You want to be more mobile than that to get a decent shot.

It's really pretty simple though. And there are lots of posts on this elsewhere in this forum, check it out :)

akornylak

Jul 24, 2003, 5:39 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A piece of advice: Before you rig your anchor, rap down and set up on the rock, take note of where the sun is. If you are shooting with it to your back you will be sorry you went to all the trouble to get your shadow in the frame!

A

krillen

Jul 24, 2003, 1:11 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30852

thomasribiere

Jul 24, 2003, 2:15 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the neighboring routes are not too hard (well if they are easy!...) I solo up 8-10 ft, hang on one hand, and take the shot... Or I try to get up the cliff by other ways than climbing. That's why I very occasionally shoot from above...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook