RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

wc

Jul 28, 2003, 8:30 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Tram Way
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone by chance down for the Tramway (Palm Springs) Tues (7/29) or Thurs (7/31)?

wc

Jul 28, 2003, 9:45 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tram Way [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone? Anyone? Rumor has it there are many climbers in So.Cal... so where the hell are they? I have been to BM 8 weekend days and seen 4 other climbers, TOTAL. Doesn't anyone go climbing around here, besides going to Williamson to thread cords through snap-shackles and widgets? I guess I shouldn't complain since I have the place pretty much to myself... I'm just amazed, with all the good rock, and all the So.Cal. spray, and nobody around...

peas

hasbeen

Jul 28, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

noticed this for years, but now I'm like the masses and don't climb anymore either. But it always fascinated me how people would complain about how climbing is overcrowded when I'd climb 4 days per week for months on end and almost never run across another soul. Basically, I think, most people tend to act like sheep and just go where everyone else already is. And then they climb the same routes they heard were good. That's why you go to Yosemite and there are thousand's of routes and 99% of em are empty but everyone's lined up under Serenity Crack complaining about how crowded the Valley has gotten. Sure, climbing's crowded if the only guidebook you've ever used is 50 Crowded Climbs!

Enjoy the serenity, and you're only at the tip of the iceberg. Don't miss Horse Flats, Pine Mt, and the Swimming Hole, all world class areas that you're likely to have almost to yourself.

me_lad

Jul 28, 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you only gave people an hour to respond!
what are the temps like up there these days anyway, i thought it was very hot ,no?
i'm dying to get up there after seeing Rampage 1.4 million times :)

wc

Jul 28, 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you only gave people an hour to respond!
what are the temps like up there these days anyway, i thought it was very hot ,no?
i'm dying to get up there after seeing Rampage 1.4 million times :)

Sorry, I'm impatient and bored at work.

According to the Tram's phone recording highs have been in the mid 70's. I have never been up there and the topo on Dr.Topo is pretty much useless since 63% of the problems listed only have (?) for the rating. Not even a guess like easy, moderate or hard. You get what you pay for right?

BM has been a bit warm, but in the shade it is fine for doing lots of easy problems.

wc

Jul 28, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Enjoy the serenity, and you're only at the tip of the iceberg. Don't miss Horse Flats, Pine Mt, and the Swimming Hole, all world class areas that you're likely to have almost to yourself.

So when are you going to give me a tour? Are these areas you speak of in the SoCal Bouldering guide?

sixter

Jul 28, 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone? Anyone? Rumor has it there are many climbers in So.Cal... so where the hell are they?

Didn't you know? They are all climbing in the gym now.

At a local San Diego bouldering spot I saw 5 climbers in the same area on my last trip. I felt pretty good about that. I am way more stoked pulling on granite than plastic, for sure!

If I didn't have obligations I would like to have gone to Tramway. Been trying to find out when my climbing partner's condo in Palm Springs is available so we could make a trip to Tramway.

jt512

Jul 28, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone? Anyone? Rumor has it there are many climbers in So.Cal... so where the hell are they?

Lately they've been at Williamson. All of them.

-Jay

hasbeen

Jul 28, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Horse Flats is in the guide, though that info is extremely dated. For Pine Mt and the Swimming Hole you'll need Bob Banks' Santa Barbara/Ventura bouldering guide, Ocean's 11 (which you should have anyway.) My climbing activity has been limited to one session per week in my backyard. I've only been outside about half a dozen times this year. However, when I do go out I'm often at one of those places, so I'll let you know next time, for sure.

curt

Jul 29, 2003, 2:01 AM
Post #10 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wc,

Make sure that you get to Black Mountain this summer. Great SoCal summer bouldering.

Curt

screamer

Jul 29, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wc, pay for my flight out bitch, and i'll climb with ya.... :lol:

wc

Jul 29, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
wc, pay for my flight out bitch, and i'll climb with ya.... :lol:

If I pay for your flight will will be doing a lot more than climbing with me, SCREAMER :shock: or should it be :o

But I can't, I gots debt. Also, rumor has it my new job involves travel :? Besides, you have to save your hours for Font :D These smiley things are fun. I am satan :twisted:

screamer

Jul 29, 2003, 4:16 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, if there is :o involved i'll pay my own way...yeah baby....Bouldering and :o , what more can you ask for, maybe beer....i gotta take :x

wc

Jul 29, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what more can you ask for, maybe beer....i gotta take :x

I had a couple beers last night 8) , would have prefered :lol:

I thought I was going to take a :x , but it turned out to be a :shock: , guess I need more veggies in my diet, at least it wasn't :mrgreen:

bvb

Jul 30, 2003, 3:18 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

enjoy your "serenity" while you got it, wes. 'cause come late september when i start puttin' you on the shiit i had dialed 24 years ago, you are going to be reduced to a simpering wimpering pathetic mutherfuccer begging for morphine and a toprope. between the splitters at woodson at the dimes at roobeedoo --------

you'l be taking up canoeing soon enough.

OOO! OOO! even better -- we'll go up to suicide and i'll make you lead caliente. after all, it's only 12b. we'll warm up on valhalla.

in tennies.

i'm coming atcha like a sailor on shore leave babe. and jocelyn's coming too, and she's PISSED. bwwwwwahahahahahahahah

riverside....living in doomtown...

ikefromla

Aug 4, 2003, 5:14 AM
Post #16 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I get back to CA, I'll meet ya'll at BM, Tramway, or Horse Flats. I'll be arriving on August 30th so brace yourselves. ::laughs at self:: :lol:

pbjosh

Aug 4, 2003, 5:54 AM
Post #17 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If any of you folks are interested in Black Mtn or Tramway this Tuesday shoot me a PM...

kro

Aug 28, 2003, 4:18 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’ve heard that there is some good bouldering at the top of the tramway in the Palm Springs area, anyone know if there is a guide book or web page that would help me finding the areas? I ma heading up there for the weekend and was hopping to get some bouldering in.

mreardon

Aug 28, 2003, 8:25 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Lately they've been at Williamson. All of them.

-Jay

Where's Williamson? :D

Actually, the Tram is one of those great spots that most people don't know about because there is minimal information and very little spray. Like a few of the best areas for bouldering in So. Cal., you find that most people don't talk about it because they don't want them to become another Happy's or Buttermilks (as early as four years ago I spent a three solid months at both and barely ran into anyone - last week I stopped by at sunset to get a quick session before heading to the mountains and ran into 10 - in f--ing summer!). If you like the Tram, make sure to check out Horse Flats, Pine Mountain, Black Mountain, and the guidebooks Oceans 11 and So. Cal. Bouldering are great intros to So. Cal. Once you've done those, there are at least 10 other places I can list off and I'm sure many others on this site can as well. Here's my personal favorite area: http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=8699

Go and enjoy the fact that you have them to yourself, and introduce yourself to Eric (EZ is always up there) and the boys when you see them at the Tram. Mad strong and always psyched, they'll give you a proper tour of the area.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook