RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

manacubus

Aug 1, 2003, 7:10 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Payment for commercial use of a pic
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello guys

Someone's contacted me and would like to use one of my images commercially for flyers and for use on their website.

Can anyone give me ANY idea of what I should charge? Can you give me examples of what a stock photo company, or other photographers might charge?

I don't want to overcharge anyone, but it would be nice to sell some work every now and then. :)

krillen

Aug 1, 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Re: Payment for commercial use of a pic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

www.photo.net has information on this in some of their forums.

Make sure you license it for one time promotional use, and don't sell ALL the rights.

keinangst

Aug 1, 2003, 2:00 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go check out sites like gettyone.com and corbis.com for ideas

Look for "Rights Managed" images -- which restrict the scope and frequency of use.

If you sell it "Royalty Free", it generally allows use anywhere, for as long as they like.

meingh

Aug 1, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The company I work for uses a lot of corbis images for flyers, catalogues, and other print media. Basically you get what you pay for. Corbis have two kinds of images royalty free or license images. Royalty free is what we usually buy, about $200 USD fora CD of 50 images. But we have pruchased some licence images and we usually end up paying about $2000 or so. The price does depend on the circulation. If the image is good and the circulation is 50,000+ i would charge about $500 or so.

Gary

dsafanda

Aug 1, 2003, 2:12 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a graphic designer I purchase stock photography for clients almsot every week. I've spent thoulsands(clients money) on stock photography over the past few months. keinangst suggestion is good. I usually purchase stock art from GettyOne.com or Corbis.com. I would go to one of those sites and do a search for rights managed rock climbing photos. Go throught the process of pricing a few of the photos. You'll need to know whether the image is going to be used for print or web use. You'll need to know how long the images is going to be used. This will give you an idea of what people are used to spending for stock photography. You'll probably see results between $700. and $1200. Keep in mind that most of my clients, even very large companies with huge advertising budgets are only willing to spend money on royalty free images which are usually much less expensive.($50.-$90.) If you're new to the business and you really want to make the deal happen I would offer rights to your photo at a cost that is substantailly less than that of the pro photographers on the large stock art sites. You can always increase your rates as you make a name for yourself.

killclimbz

Aug 1, 2003, 2:51 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you like my girl is a professional photographer and sells stock film quite often through getty and other mentioned services on this thread. She definitely knows what the going rates are for this type usage. You can contact her through her website www.kimcookphotography.com. If you drag your mouse over her name on the top lefthand corner that will bring you to the contact information. Shoot her an e-mail and let her know I (Gary) recommended you to her.

One thing I have learned about this biz is that there are a whole lot of people who expect to get everything for nothing. You need to make sure you get what you deserve for these images and not sign your rights away. I would give you some figures on what I think you should get per image but I am not the pro here and I would probably have it wrong. Make sure you get the money you deserve.

manacubus

Aug 4, 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've quoted some standard prices (from your posts and some research on GettyOne.com) and asked the potential customer to make an offer. I'll just see what he comes back with!

jakedatc

Aug 6, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey kill i checked out kim's website.. she's got some sweet stuff.. and great comments from her various employers.. it's nice to see they give her the props she deserves..

one of these days i'll go through my stuff and figure out if i can sell any of it ;)

Jake manacabus.. good luck with ur pics .. show me the $$$ lol

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 6, 2003, 9:23 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been contacted for use of some of my pics in 3 mags, 1 book, and other other websites.

Credit was good enough for me, but then I am in no way a professional photog.

krillen

Aug 7, 2003, 1:07 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

which photos Adam?

killclimbz

Aug 7, 2003, 3:16 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey kill i checked out kim's website.. she's got some sweet stuff.. and great comments from her various employers.. it's nice to see they give her the props she deserves..

Thanks! :P

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook