Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sixter

Aug 6, 2003, 6:00 PM
Post #26 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Re: What type of film do you use? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
One advantage of black and white film is that it is cheap to buy in bulk, and you can process it at home, without a darkroom.

How does THAT work? Do you mean you can devlop it at home WITH your own darkroom? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just curious.

I find B&W film is expensive (incomparison) to get processed by the lab. $25 vs. $15ish.

The Kodak C-41 B&W stuff has given me mixed results, though I think it's the lab. In my photos on this site (shameless plug) the B&W's from RRG KY are C-41, the others are true B&W.

WIthout a darkroom, you use a changing bag. I have one, and it is an essental part of my gear in my photo backpack. With it you can take care of a problem with film in your camera. There are times (rare) when you need to open the back if the film gets stuck or something like that. With a changing bag, you put your light tight film developing tank, your film roll, and just do what you would in a darkroom to load the film on a reel, then put in the tank, and since the tank is light tight, all the chemical processes can be done in your bathroom without converting it into a darkroom. But then you still need to have prints made...I have an enlarger, and the rest of the equipment for a darkroom, but I don't have a room to put it in yet.

As far as the C-41 process B&W film, I have had good results when I took it to my local pro lab, any other lab has given mixed results.

Here is a sample of one of the shots using Ilford XP2 Super, sorry it is non-climbing.

http://members.aol.com/...otanical_gardens.jpg

akornylak

Aug 6, 2003, 6:39 PM
Post #27 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For 35mm I shoot Elite Crome 100 and push process it one stop. This desaturates the colors and gives more open shadows. Makes for much easier scanning.

hm? push-processing generally increases contrast and grain. I know that Elite Chrome 100 "Extra Color" does not push well, and in fact Kodak recommends against it, but I dont know about EC100.

Elite Chrome 100 is Kodak's entry-level slide film, and its pretty good, and cheap, like $3.50 at Costco I think. However, you pay extra to push-process ( up to twice the processing cost), so after all that you may be paying $9-$10. You might as well buy the more expensive "pro" Ektachrome films such as E100VS, etc. They will be a little more expensive but you wont have to push-process to get what you are looking for.

But if you like the look, run with it :)

pico23

Aug 6, 2003, 9:11 PM
Post #28 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Peppering...One thing to note, Kodak transparency films dont have this problem.

When I started using slide film I though I needed Fuji because you look at what many pros shoot and it's fuji (often velvia) but Kodak just gave me much more consistent and better results. I was about to finally send a big batch of slides off to be scanned at 16MP and now you've got me worried that my fuji slides are going to be peppered. Anyway to correct this easily? Can the labs correct it with correction that they offer with the scanning?

In reply to:
I would recommend against Kodachrome because it is difficult to process (K-14). Labs have to send the film to Kodak to process it.

True but maybe thats why I've always had good results. I'm sure the quality control is top notch. It is hard to process because it needs to be sent to Kodak but I always send my slides out anyway so it's not a problem but I agree that unless you really love Kodachrome you are better off with something else like Elite Chrome 100.

In reply to:
About digital, the comparison depends on how much film you use. I spend nearly 15 times as much on film as I do on equipment, enough to buy at least three top digital bodies. Yes, the quality is not *quite* there, but a $1000 canon EOS D10 for example has excellent quality and all the features you need in a serious SLR. Below that, most 3 MP point-and-shoots will give great results too.

No arguement here. I'm not enough of a photog to justify the expense just yet and like I said there are archival issues with digital (at least in my opinion). I think for journalism and point and shoot (essentially the same IMO) digital is clearly the better choice. I can't see anyone spending $200 on a point and shoot anymore when there are digital models more then adequate. Really I'm waiting for Pentax to put out a affordable SLR body but I do look at the new (and even the old) pro calibre digital SLRs and drool a little. There is no doubt film is gonna be gone in the next quarter century but I'm not gonna convert till it becomes unjustifiable not to. I don't need more then 16MP so I figure in about 5 years current pro calibre SLRs will be affordable enough to abandon my all film bodies.

In reply to:
The camera and film type that is most likely to get you out there taking photos without worrying about things like cost is the best one, regardless of quality IMHO.

No words were better said about any activity. Buy what you can afford, have fun, get better and if in the future you need and can afford better go for an upgrade.

pico23

Aug 6, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #29 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Elite Chrome 100, 200 and Elite Chrome 100 Extra Color to be nice all around consumer films. .... Be careful with saturated films when shooting climbers as they mess with the skin tones.

For 35mm I shoot Elite Crome 100 and push process it one stop. This desaturates the colors and gives more open shadows. Makes for much easier scanning.

For large format landscape work I prefer Velvia.

Nice tip. Do you find you lose any quality with the 1 stop push? And have you tried this with Elite Chrome 200. Also, how do you find the 200's saturation? I just got 10 rolls for $10 so I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the 100eb and 100EBX i usually shoot.

pico23

Aug 6, 2003, 9:31 PM
Post #30 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="krillen"]

In reply to:
The Kodak C-41 B&W stuff has given me mixed results, though I think it's the lab. In my photos on this site (shameless plug) the B&W's from RRG KY are C-41, the others are true B&W.

It's probably the lab. I've had some bad results from different labs but just bring them somewhere else (the bad prints) for a reprint and see what happens. Don't forget color prints are often better then the actual print because the printer makes corrections. Overall I find BWC to be consistently the sharpest consumer print film I've used. It's also consistenly well exposed. The detail is amazing if that matters. Occasionally I've found the prints have a blue tint but this is the printing process.

In reply to:
A pro climbing photographer I know advised shooting Velvia (no brainer) most of the time, however when I went to RedRocks Nevada he encouraged me to shoot E100VS (VS=very saturated). The warm tones of the desert popped with this stuff.

E100VS=E100 Velvia Substitute . Problem is it suffers from similar problems when shooting people as velvia.

pico23

Aug 6, 2003, 9:42 PM
Post #31 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

hm? push-processing generally increases contrast and grain. I know that Elite Chrome 100 "Extra Color" does not push well, and in fact Kodak recommends against it, but I dont know about EC100.

Elite Chrome 100 is Kodak's entry-level slide film, and its pretty good, and cheap, like $3.50 at Costco I think. However, you pay extra to push-process ( up to twice the processing cost), so after all that you may be paying $9-$10. You might as well buy the more expensive "pro" Ektachrome films such as E100VS, etc. They will be a little more expensive but you wont have to push-process to get what you are looking for.

But if you like the look, run with it :)

I'm not sure I'm correct but for what it's worth, I've been told by a few people including a Kodak rep that Elite Chrome is the consumer version of Ektachrome. Assuming this works like other pro films isn't the only difference the aging process? But you can get Elite Chrome from Costco which is where I got my first 5 pack for $15. Or you can get it for less from most camera stores in NYC for about $2.50 a roll (sometimes even less).

Pushing is usually $1.00 a stop most places I get it developed but $1 is enough to justify a different film (or find a lab with free pushing) if you always push it.

drkayak

Aug 6, 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #32 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hm? push-processing generally increases contrast and grain.....
you pay extra to push-process ( up to twice the processing cost)

I have been developing my own E-6 for over 10 years..It's the only way I can afford to work in 4x5 format. So push processing is no cost :D

To be more exact. For 35mm I shoot EliteCrome 100 @ ASA 80 and over develope it 1/2 to 1 stop. I have seen no issue with grain when scanned @ 4000dpi.

akornylak

Aug 7, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #33 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
One advantage of black and white film is that it is cheap to buy in bulk, and you can process it at home, without a darkroom.

How does THAT work? Do you mean you can devlop it at home WITH your own darkroom? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just curious.

No you dont need a darkroom to process b&w film. You can spool up the film in a "black bag", basically a double-zippered lightproof bag with two elastic-band armholes, then mix the chemicals in a small lightproof container. The chemicals and materials are inexpensive, and you can do it in your bathroom. It does waste water though.

In reply to:
I find B&W film is expensive (incomparison) to get processed by the lab. $25 vs. $15ish for colour or slides.

Wow where do you do your processing? I get a roll of 36 exposures of E6 for about $6.50, and a little less for b&w. Also, Kodak TMAX 400 for example can be found for <$5 per 36-exp roll, and it goes down to <$3 per roll if you buy it in bulk spools of 100 feet.

akornylak

Aug 7, 2003, 4:07 AM
Post #34 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure I'm correct but for what it's worth, I've been told by a few people including a Kodak rep that Elite Chrome is the consumer version of Ektachrome. Assuming this works like other pro films isn't the only difference the aging process? But you can get Elite Chrome from Costco which is where I got my first 5 pack for $15. Or you can get it for less from most camera stores in NYC for about $2.50 a roll (sometimes even less).

Pushing is usually $1.00 a stop most places I get it developed but $1 is enough to justify a different film (or find a lab with free pushing) if you always push it.

I have read that "Elite Chrome Extra" was the consumer version of Ektachrome. Im not too familiar with Kodak films, so you might be right. The difference (so Ive heard) is also in how well it responds to push-processing, since they assume only pros do push processing (uh huh)

Nice, about Costco. Maybe Ill go try it for myself - thanks

halcyon

Aug 7, 2003, 7:05 AM
Post #35 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone heard good/bad about kodak tmax B&W film. I develop and print myself (nothing better than hanging out in a darkroom when you cant climb). Also, what ISO speed do you generally use for climbing photography. (I use 100 for everything right now).

krillen

Aug 7, 2003, 1:11 PM
Post #36 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

No you dont need a darkroom to process b&w film. You can spool up the film in a "black bag", basically a double-zippered lightproof bag with two elastic-band armholes, then mix the chemicals in a small lightproof container. The chemicals and materials are inexpensive, and you can do it in your bathroom. It does waste water though.

In reply to:

I find B&W film is expensive (incomparison) to get processed by the lab. $25 vs. $15ish for colour or slides.

Wow where do you do your processing? I get a roll of 36 exposures of E6 for about $6.50, and a little less for b&w. Also, Kodak TMAX 400 for example can be found for <$5 per 36-exp roll, and it goes down to <$3 per roll if you buy it in bulk spools of 100 feet.

REALLY? I'd never heard of darkbag developing. I've heard of darkbag film rolling, and "in the field" emergancy use, just no developing.

I go to a fairly decent lab, and that's in Canadian $$, so 2/3's the number value, still pretty expensive for true B&W develping on true B&W paper.

akornylak

Aug 7, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #37 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

REALLY? I'd never heard of darkbag developing. I've heard of darkbag film rolling, and "in the field" emergancy use, just no developing.

I go to a fairly decent lab, and that's in Canadian $$, so 2/3's the number value, still pretty expensive for true B&W develping on true B&W paper.

Ah OK. I think the term "develop" is confusing here. I am talking about processing the film to negatives. It sounds like you are talking about copying, or printing from the negatives to paper. That you certainly need a darkroom for, and should cost what you say, especially for custom work.

Anyway, if you are interested in processing at home, check out:

http://www.photogs.com/bwworld/bwresources.html

akornylak

Aug 7, 2003, 3:59 PM
Post #38 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has anyone heard good/bad about kodak tmax B&W film. I develop and print myself (nothing better than hanging out in a darkroom when you cant climb). Also, what ISO speed do you generally use for climbing photography. (I use 100 for everything right now).

I use Kodak TMAX 400, and 3200 for low light. I also use Ilford, same ISOs, cant decide which I like better. the main reason I use TMAX is that I got a good deal on bulk rolls, so I am set for a couple years :) Also I use HC110 and TMAX developer.

Ive used Tri-X in the past. The grain is interesting, but I think TMAX scans better!

krillen

Aug 7, 2003, 4:02 PM
Post #39 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, that's the miscommunication. I was speaking of developing AND printing, our house is a bit small (and i have no cash ;) ) for a darkroom.

rongoodman

Aug 8, 2003, 1:00 AM
Post #40 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Provia 100F a lot, especially if I can use a tripod. I've been using Provia 400 in my Stylus Epic, becuase usually in the places I'm carrying it I'm either being blown around or puffing from the altitude and exertion(or both). I do quite a bit of quilt photography for my wife and like Astia for it's accurate color rendition.

pico23

Aug 8, 2003, 2:10 AM
Post #41 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like Provia 100F a lot, especially if I can use a tripod. I've been using Provia 400 in my Stylus Epic, becuase usually in the places I'm carrying it I'm either being blown around or puffing from the altitude and exertion(or both). I do quite a bit of quilt photography for my wife and like Astia for it's accurate color rendition.

Have you had consistently good results with the Provia 400 in a P&S? I've found it's either hit or miss so I've stopped wasting money on slide film in P&S cameras.

rongoodman

Aug 8, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #42 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been pretty good in my Stylus. Before it came out I was using Ektacharome 200. I usually try to remember to turn on the fill-flash--I wish I could set it to default to on.

pico23

Aug 11, 2003, 6:59 PM
Post #43 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's been pretty good in my Stylus. Before it came out I was using Ektacharome 200. I usually try to remember to turn on the fill-flash--I wish I could set it to default to on.

I've heard the stylus is a superior fixed lens P&S for years and it's the only P&S that I've consistently heard can shoot slide film. If it was 5 years ago I'd by one but it seems it would be hard to justify it when a good used 3MP digital would pay for itself in less the a year. I'm sort of waiting for our canon sure shot to die. Its 8 years old, the case (the non functional stuff) is all cracked up the battery cover is cracked (but closes) and the camera has been on almost every trip for 5 years plus a trip through Europe. It's beat to hell but keeps working. I'd have expected the lens motor do die by now as cameras with retractable lenses usually have this happen.

baalzimon

Aug 11, 2003, 7:37 PM
Post #44 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You won't have as much use for tele stuff which is good because long non mirrored lenses are expensive and heavy.

Actually, I would love to have something like a 100-300. alot of the great photos you see of climbers are shot with long lenses for their shallow depth of field and accurate rendering of proportion.

don_pablo

Sep 8, 2003, 4:07 AM
Post #45 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tmax 400 Man, gret texture, esay to use and even easier to manipulate in the darkroom.

pico23

Sep 8, 2003, 9:35 AM
Post #46 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You won't have as much use for tele stuff which is good because long non mirrored lenses are expensive and heavy.

Actually, I would love to have something like a 100-300. alot of the great photos you see of climbers are shot with long lenses for their shallow depth of field and accurate rendering of proportion.

I wouldn't call 105mm long. Thats a medium lenght lens. Long doesn't start till above 135mm (in my definition). I'd say something in the range of 40-135 renders fairly accurate proportions (which is why portrait lenses are usually 85-135 in length). Above that you tend to compress things and below things tend to stretch. Shallow depth of field can be accomplised with any fast lens although longer ones tend to have a smaller depth of field. Shoot your 40mm at f1.4 and you'll have a nice soft background. I'm definitely not as experienced shooting climbing as some of these guys but aside from sports and wildlife I rarely use anything more then 200mm. I just can't picture needing more then 200mm for anything but the occasional climbing photo unless you are photographing from off the wall or from another summit. I'd much rather have a 19-24 zoom or 19mm fixed then a 200-300mm lens.

chanceboarder

Oct 7, 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #47 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what you want to do with the finial photograph. Keep in mind that all film is designed for different purposes (saturated color, natural color, fine grain, low light, and so on). If you want a good print to hang on your wall go with a negative film, my personal fav is Kodak 160VC. If you want to put it on a computer or make a bigger digital print then go with a positive film cuz they scan a lot better then negatives or prints, my fav for that is velvia 50 or 100 (I've been testing out the new 100 lately and I really like the results I'm getting).

As for lenses and filters. I love my Nikon 24-85 AF-S with a polarizing filter. It's an awesome lens. Nikon makes great lenses, it's

chanceboarder

Oct 7, 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #48 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on what you want to do with the finial photograph. Keep in mind that all film is designed for different purposes (saturated color, natural color, fine grain, low light, and so on). If you want a good print to hang on your wall go with a negative film, my personal fav is Kodak 160VC. If you want to put it on a computer or make a bigger digital print then go with a positive film cuz they scan a lot better then negatives or prints, my fav for that is velvia 50 or 100 (I've been testing out the new 100 lately and I really like the results I'm getting).

As for lenses and filters. I love my Nikon 24-85 AF-S with a polarizing filter. It's an awesome lens.

mikalw

Oct 14, 2003, 1:02 AM
Post #49 of 49 (3039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have just recently started using the Velvia 100 instead of Kodak E100VS and am really pleased with the results. Still use Provia 400f for duller light and Kodak Tmax is the only B&W I will shoot with, however admittedly I don't shoot B&W climbing pics that often.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook