RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

halcyon

Aug 12, 2003, 6:00 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Molded plastic gear loops?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What's the deal with these? What are the advantages? I'm looking to buy my own harnass really soon and I'm trying to decide between the singing rock rythem and the singing rock zenith. The rythem has molded plastic gear loops and is more expensive. Any thoughts?

Partner philbox

Aug 12, 2003, 7:01 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Re: Molded plastic gear loops? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

More information needed as to what you are going to use this harness for. For instance if you were going to use the harness for sport climbing then possibly the plastic gear loops would suffice however if you are into aid climbing then forget it go out and buy the beefiest harness that money can buy. I get my harnesses sewn to my own design and I specify that the gear loops are rated to 200kgs. That way I`ll never break them if a cam gets caught under an obstruction.

sixter

Aug 12, 2003, 7:21 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I get my harnesses sewn to my own design and I specify that the gear loops are rated to 200kgs. That way I`ll never break them if a cam gets caught under an obstruction.

I didn't do enough research when I bought my BD harness, and have the molded plastic gear loops, harness works great, but I know I iwll be paranoid of breaking my gear loops. My next harness is probably going to be one of these... http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/harnesses.htm

petsfed

Aug 12, 2003, 12:51 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried on said harnesses? The fit would be more important to me than the type of gear loops. In fact, when I bought my second harness (I already had a Petzl corax), it was by happy accident that it had the soft flexible webbing gear loops with the nylon tubing around them. Very good for offwidths and squeeze chimneys.

fanederhand

Aug 12, 2003, 2:05 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For what its worth I have used a BD harness with the molded plastic for years and got lots of nicks and scrapes on the loops but they have never failed. I just got a new harness (gave the old to my son to use) and have the webbing coverd with plastic tubing loops. I like both the same. How they fit, functionality and price are what you want to consider. The loops are not a big factor in that. :)

halcyon

Aug 12, 2003, 2:19 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be using it for sport and trad mostly. As it turns out the harnass I've been borrowing since I started is a singing rock zenith. It works well and is comfortable and I dont think I'll be wanting the molded plastic so I'll go for the zenith. I think I'll go a size smaller though because I need to tighten all of the straps down all the way.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook