RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

lightandfast

Aug 11, 2003, 5:29 AM
Post #1 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

squamish madness on Butress.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This sunday in Squamish a bunch of idiots dragged a barbague, bong, beer, and stereo to theledge below the 10c pitch on the Squamish butress. Now being a busy day in Squamish this pisses more than a few people off. The loud music, soloing, smoking made it very upsetting to be in the vacinity. You could hear the music from Broadway Ledge. Too bad that people like this will ruin the future of climbing in provincial parks. Squamish faces enough issues without the need for this. More dissapointing is the fact that most of the people involved were well known in Squamish. One is a A.C.M.G. guide and designer for a company that "sounds like " Blurr "
( oops ). Generaly a total disregard for anyone else climbing and an unsafe scene made this an upsetting day for people who love to climb.

gawd

Aug 11, 2003, 6:04 AM
Post #2 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Re: squamish madness on Butress. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your a whiner.
oyu act as of this is not a public place, and think it is a wilderness area!? you do not consider the train noise or th e traffic of the why a nuiscence? i do not see how someone smoking dope or soloing affects you directly, you shouls care about your own worthless gumby ass and not attempt to judge or complain about other people.

lightandfast

Aug 11, 2003, 6:12 AM
Post #3 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give it up! These guys 10 or so, ruin everyones day. Sounds like you have been smoking too much dope. Next you are going to say its o.k. to light boulders on fire. Get with the times, these people WILL make an impact for everyone. I dont give a crapabout who smokes dope, but when they do it infront of me when I am climbing and potentially endager myself and my partner I start to care. Piss off, you are exactly the type that is up there. Thanks for coming out! You convelutted self indulged jerk.

lightandfast

Aug 11, 2003, 6:15 AM
Post #4 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah jerk off, my gumbly ass, get bent, you dont know who you are talking to.
Waste you time else where.
Maybe you should bring the burgers for the next display of ignorance on the cheif.

Look at the crap you post. See this guys forum history !!!!!!!!!!!!

roseysnowcone

Aug 11, 2003, 7:08 AM
Post #5 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't chat on-line. Till now. Gawd, I have red what you have written now, and in the past. It's pussy little gym-jock spray lords like you that make the climbing scene the pathetic sight that it is today. Just a lonely loser trying to look like the big man, while hiding behind a computer screen. If you truly are such a talented and travelled climber, why not post some photos and put all us in our place. Surely at some point in your extensive climbing career you must have had the desire to see yourself in action. Maybe on the Grand Wall? Smokin' the blunts. Or were you just to fckin' roasted. Oh, by the way, "The Grand Wall" route itself does not close for birds. But of course you already knew that. So lets see how wonderful you are. Or are us gumbies not worthy of seeing your excellence at play. Yes, I must agree BBQ's dont belong anywhere on the Chief.

gawd

Aug 11, 2003, 4:24 PM
Post #6 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:roll:

climbinganne

Aug 11, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #7 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't chat on-line. Till now. Gawd, I have red what you have written now, and in the past. It's sissy little gym-jock spray lords like you that make the climbing scene the pathetic sight that it is today. Just a lonely loser trying to look like the big man, while hiding behind a computer screen. If you truly are such a talented and travelled climber, why not post some photos and put all us in our place. Surely at some point in your extensive climbing career you must have had the desire to see yourself in action.

HAHA..YOU WANT TO SEE A PICTURE OF GAWD????

YOU WOULD SH!T YOURSELF

THIS IS THE BEST THREAD I HAVE READ IN A LONG TIME

BTW..I HAVE GREAT PICTURES OF GAWD AKA FATHER OF TRAD...ALPINING 15ERS, BOULDERING V5 IN HIS FLIP FLOPS AND EVEN OMFG SPORTCHUFFING

ALSO...YOU BOTH SOUND LIKE A COUPLE JEALOUS WHINEY ASSES THAT WERENT INVITED TO "THE PARTY OF THE SUMMER" AT SQUAMISH

HEH, I HEARD IT WAS A BLAST

punk

Aug 11, 2003, 4:48 PM
Post #8 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GAWD CANT CLIMB A BAR STOOL GAWD IS 400LB HEAVY BUT YOU KNOW WHAT HE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HE IS TAKING ABOUT :P

climbinganne

Aug 11, 2003, 4:50 PM
Post #9 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*SNIFF SNIFF*

AWWW....THE GOOD OLD DAYS

HI PUNK!

dead_milkman

Aug 11, 2003, 6:21 PM
Post #10 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Jeezus... When, exactly, did climbers decide to eshew anything that could possibly be considered rebellious or, god forbid, fun? Personally, while I would hate to think that access could be limited because a couple people hauled a BBQ up the Chief (which, by the way, I have a hard time buying anyhow), I tend to think that this is exactly the kind of 'stunt' that the climbing community needs every once in a while. Remind us all that life is not to be taken quite so seriously sometimes. Did they permanantly damage the rock? Did they clean up their mess? If the answers to these questions are no and yes, respectively, then - quite frankly - who cares?

Dead "Waiting for someone to set up a beer and burger stand on the shoulder of Athabasca" Milkman.

onemistakebigpancake

Aug 11, 2003, 6:49 PM
Post #11 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the story is true, I would be more concerned about the fire hazard over the loud music.

sunsation

Aug 11, 2003, 6:55 PM
Post #12 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seconding Onemistakebigpancake's comment. BC is cleaning up the tail end of some of the biggest forest fires in our history. The biggest of the recent fires was started by a careless flick of a cigarette. I'm all for dragging your BBQ up the Chief and having a party as long as the mess gets cleaned up (and I bet it actually did) but right now might not be the best time for dragging anything flammable around.

My $0.02...

dead_milkman

Aug 11, 2003, 7:20 PM
Post #13 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Seconding Onemistakebigpancake's comment. BC is cleaning up the tail end of some of the biggest forest fires in our history. The biggest of the recent fires was started by a careless flick of a cigarette. I'm all for dragging your BBQ up the Chief and having a party as long as the mess gets cleaned up (and I bet it actually did) but right now might not be the best time for dragging anything flammable around.

My $0.02...

I think that it's been raining a fair bit there recently... I've been glancing at Environment Canada's website in anticipation quite a lot in the past days, but they do have a habit of being quite incorrect at times, so who knows. Locals: weight in, eh!

onemistakebigpancake

Aug 11, 2003, 7:36 PM
Post #14 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I've been eyeing the weather too, but being as parched as it has been for the past three to four weeks, it would take a lot more than the odd sprinkle to rehydrate. It's only just today and once last week that it actually rained in Van, although it's slightly different in Squamish. There seems to be little precipitation recorded in Squamish to make a huge difference.

sunsation

Aug 11, 2003, 7:42 PM
Post #15 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dead_milkman, I'd call this more spitting than raining. Good news for climbers cause the rock's dry again quickly. But like onemistake mentioned, it wouldn't help out if someone inadvertantly sparked a fire. Last I heard, the campfire bans in this province are still on. I see you're coming to town, welcome and I hope you have a great trip.

dead_milkman

Aug 11, 2003, 8:23 PM
Post #16 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dead_milkman, I'd call this more spitting than raining. Good news for climbers cause the rock's dry again quickly. But like onemistake mentioned, it wouldn't help out if someone inadvertantly sparked a fire. Last I heard, the campfire bans in this province are still on. I see you're coming to town, welcome and I hope you have a great trip.

I stand corrected... As I alluded to, reading EC's reports doesn't really paint a true picture of what's happening... In any case, thanks for the welcome, and I certainly plan to have a great time - it always seems that I do while in Squamish!

Cheers.

jefffski

Aug 11, 2003, 8:50 PM
Post #17 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think that it may have been the loud music that pissed people off. bbq sounds fun though.

cman

Aug 11, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #18 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was on The altimate everything on sunday and it looked like a good time to me. I was diggin' the drum.

thelawgoddess

Aug 12, 2003, 3:27 AM
Post #19 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Generaly a total disregard for anyone else climbing and an unsafe scene made this an upsetting day for people who love to climb.

i didn't catch the "unsafe" part. unsafe for you or them? if it's them it's mostly their choice anyway. i know loud music and smoke can be annoying, but so are lots of other things. for the most part i think we should often just live and let live.

jefffski

Aug 12, 2003, 4:11 AM
Post #20 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love music but i like to choose when to listen to it. by playing it so loudly, people all over the apron are forced to hear it. that is disrespectful and opens the way to more loud and boorish behaviour.

the apron is not wilderness, and it is next to a hiway and industry, but that is part of the natural environment--those things were there first, pretty much.

i love climbing in squish and don't want it to become a trashy environment. With little doubt, climbing and especially bouldering will become more popular and more pressure will be placed on a limited and non-renewable resource. It will take more and more effort to cooperate with people with divergent needs and interests. this is why we need to keep low profiles or we will ruin our little corner of paradise.

Had i been in squamish that day i would not have approached the climbers in question. i probably would have ignored the music (as much as possible) or gone elsewhere. i am responding because i find it worrying that people here are condoning the behaviour (the playing of very loud music in a public place).

it is one more push on the thin edge of the wedge.

maybe it is time to cross the water.

kman

Aug 12, 2003, 4:19 AM
Post #21 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I could afford a boat. Even just a wee little aluminium one. Lots of rock on the other side.

wandt

Aug 12, 2003, 5:30 AM
Post #22 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heaven forbid! Not music!!! Were they laughing too?!?! The bastards!!

My partner and I climbed the apron and the butress that day, and ran across that party. From the sounds of it, you all should have too. They were more than happy to share their vittles (top notch chocolate fondue), were positively militant about packing EVERY scrap of garbage/refuse out, and even helped us out (we were pretty shagged out and not looking forward to leading that .10c pitch. The TR was hugely appreciated.)

So... your report is of boorish miscreants impinging on other climbers' rights, etc.
All I found up there were some really friendly, conscientious climbers. And anyways, their taste in music was pretty good!

elrojobdugs

Aug 12, 2003, 5:57 AM
Post #23 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like ur too intense.... isnt climbing about mellowing out... dammm if it were me id be tryin to have the best time possible, and a bbq and music sound like the right idea... dont know where ur from but if a bbq and music doesnt sound like fun to you.... somethings wrong.

sharpender

Aug 12, 2003, 7:41 AM
Post #24 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We really can't determine if this behavior was right or wrong until we know all the facts. What kind of Beer was it?

thelawgoddess

Aug 12, 2003, 8:16 AM
Post #25 of 25 (3342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What kind of Beer was it?

lol!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook