Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Where Climbers Are The Most Friendly????
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

allan_thomson

Aug 11, 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #26 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Re: Where Climbers Are The Most Friendly???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where Climbers Are The Most Friendly????

Not around here, thats for sure :wink: :wink:

epic_ed

Aug 11, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #27 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Buncha B.O.-riddled, stogie-smoking, empty-dome knuckledraggers. Ed is their king. Totally sucks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(said in his best Monty Python voice) "It's good to be the King!"

cupofjoe

Aug 11, 2003, 10:26 PM
Post #28 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since the time i've started climbing at local crags i've never met an unfriendly climber. Only one met one ignorant climber at a local crag(Droped a TP less then 5 ft from our anchor then to top it off didn't even shout rope, my partner had to move to avoid the falling rope...but thats a whole other story).

thelawgoddess

Aug 12, 2003, 3:31 AM
Post #29 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My feeling is Squamish had the friendliest climbers, thus far.

i think i'd have to agree. of course, they're mostly not FROM squamish, but anyway! :D

enigma

Aug 12, 2003, 7:19 AM
Post #30 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Let me start off by saying I think this question is pointless because there is absolutely no way to quantifiably answer it. Define friendly? Now have someone else define friendly? Now do the same with friendliest? You are already in muddy water. It's like defining hot and cold. Some people think 70F is cold and some think 65 is too hot.

I dunno, its a valid question. No-one's asking you to quantify anything. The question is perfectly answerable.

F'rinstance, although I have found that the overwhelming majority of climbers I have encountered have been right-on totally chill people, its definetly been my experience that some places are friendlier than others. My old home crag Val David, north of Montreal, f'rsintance isn't what I would call the friendliest place (though people are cool there), as compared to areas in the Canadian Rockies. Different vibe, different crowd (VD is dominated by people with city lives driving to the crags, the Rockies is dominated by people who are living the mountain life or on road trips). The *least* friendly place I have climbed is California. Notwithstanding, I've met lots of great people on the rock there.

In reply to:
Anyway being serious there isn't any hot pocket of nicety in the world. This utopia doesn't exist. And quite frankly I'm a little weary of overly nice people.

"Overly" nice isn't a bother, its shallow or insincere nice that's the drag.

8) I agree^^^^^^^^^

Seems like its the Red, and British Columbia that is getting the most friendliest thus far. Hmmn, interesting, any other favorites?????

crag

Aug 12, 2003, 12:20 PM
Post #31 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="enigma"]---Just your opinion , where do you think generally the climbers are the friendliest of the places you have climbed thus far.quote]

At the Pub when someone else is buying.

flash

Aug 12, 2003, 1:09 PM
Post #32 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kentucky (The Red) is a cool place to be around climbers.
www.thered.org

Other places that I find totally cool: The New River Gorge (WV), Boulder (CO), Moab (UT).

Lindville Gorge (NC) had such cool climbing - but I can't say that all climbers were super friendly.

wlderdude

Aug 13, 2003, 12:23 AM
Post #33 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My casual observation is that "destination" climbing areas tend to have the friendliest climbers.

You know, Joshua Tree, Moab, and other world faous areas. Places where you are more likely to meet out of towners than locals.

"Local" crags tend to have more climbers who are just doing their own thing and don't want to be bothered. They may be just out getting some exercise or just getting out of the gym where they fought for routes.

Even then, there are still plenty of freindly people. There will just be more pricks and those who just want to get the job done.

Perhaps people are more friendly when they are on vacation. Certainly those who take climbing road trip will identify them selves with a better sence of climber culture.

I love meeting climbers from all over the world. It seems as if the only unfriendly climbers I have ever met have been at my local climbing area.

godsmybelayer

Aug 13, 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #34 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:evil: OFFLINE!!! :twisted:

ptone

Aug 13, 2003, 2:23 AM
Post #35 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my take on "The Friendliest Climbers"

I went back to a crag I hated once cause a friend wanted to have a go at a climb there.

I totally anticipated a repeat experience:
An overcrowded day full of inept showoffs endangering everyone, pushy guys jumping onto climbs with a "don't worry, I'll be quick, it's just a warm up for me..." and then hangdogging and grabbing the draws and bailing, then begging you to go clean their shiny new gear from the route, idiots making bad passes and ruining the girls' day and dog piss on the camelback...lucky guess--maby one or two sympathetic souls in the bunch.

What I found when I got there was this:
A bunch of friendly people, sharing beta and respecting space, encouraging the weaker climbers and trading ropes for efficient tr on adjacent climbs, it was great!! Course, there were a couple dicks, but they weren't in anyones way!

Know what the amazing part is?

It was the same group of climbers as the last time. I was just looking at the other half of the crowd!!!

The friendliest climbers are all over the place. A smile, an ear, a few words of encouragement as you go by...
Isn't that what you are hoping for too?
We can be those climbers you are asking about!

Just ignore those poor fcks who seem to think the only way to get taller is by chopping everyone else down. Hopefully one day they'll realize they're actually getting shorter and shorter doing that....

Peace,
-p

flying_dutchman

Aug 13, 2003, 3:01 AM
Post #36 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wouldn't say squamish even though i live there...

Too many people and their damndogs humping other dogs at the base of most climbs makes for a less pleasent atmosphere. I haven't climbed on a weekend for months now cause there is no peace and quite anywhere.

Skaha is nice, the 35 degree weather keeps all but the most diehard dudes from climbing and hence a better atmosphere

uncertaintyprinciple

Aug 13, 2003, 2:31 PM
Post #37 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THUNDER BAY!!!

You should come check it out!

So much rock it's not even funny.

Much of it unclimbed.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 13, 2003, 4:35 PM
Post #38 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have only climbed in the NOrtheast so far, but I would have to say the Gunks. I grew up a Red Sox fan, so I hated everything NY. I came to realize in adulthood, that Nyers are much nicer than Bostonians. Overall, I found that as a group, climbers are extremely nice. But, just like any walk of life, there are Aholes.

Josh

enigma

Aug 24, 2003, 6:48 AM
Post #39 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have only climbed in the NOrtheast so far, but I would have to say the Gunks. I grew up a Red Sox fan, so I hated everything NY. I came to realize in adulthood, that Nyers are much nicer than Bostonians. Overall, I found that as a group, climbers are extremely nice. But, just like any walk of life, there are Aholes.

Josh

I miss the Gunks. :idea: People were so nice there, and its pretty climbing with all those little ledges.

oudinardin

Aug 24, 2003, 11:51 AM
Post #40 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone in Montana seems mean so steer clear. Just kidding. Co, AK, Az, Ut, Wy, Id, N.C., B.C. and I could go on. Damn I live a range life. There fockers everywhere, as mentioned above. Your climbing, be kind.

andypro

Aug 24, 2003, 3:13 PM
Post #41 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My most friendly experience was the first (and only :( ) time I went to yosemite. I was all alone, and it took me a whopping 2 minutes to find someone to climb with. The guy (I think george was his name) was really cool, and everyone we came across was warm and welcoming. We even started chatting it up with a guide while he had a group and he was great. The one thing that really annoyed me about yosemite was the tourists. (I was technically one of them. Do climbers even count as tourists in yosemite?...but I had a purpose in mind that didn't involve collecting by the dozens at the base of the camp 4 wall and incessantly screaming things to the people (me and george) then getting pissed when they didn't answer because they happened to be concentrating on keeping each other alive :x [/Rant] )

absolutsl

Aug 24, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #42 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

athens georgia the climbers are totally chill and supportive -- good ppl -- just go to the uga rec center. tell em shane from texas sent ya

Partner camhead

Aug 24, 2003, 5:17 PM
Post #43 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indian Creek has nce folks. something about the etiquette of sharing gear (after all, not everyone has six sets of cams) there just makes for some great comradery.

hombre_x

Aug 24, 2003, 7:58 PM
Post #44 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all,

I have found that regardless of what you're doing, people will go out of their way to be nice to you if they know you're from another place.

An example (not climbing related, but an example nonetheless): I'm from central Canada, and lately, we've been receiving a lot of media about Americans being really mad at us for not supporting them in the war.

Two friends and I drove down to Minneapolis for a Dave Matthews Band concert last month. While we were there, we started talking with the people around us, and everyone was of the opinion that us being from Canada was great.

I'm of the opinion that people who share common interests will naturally be drawn together and be nice to one another. As stated before, obviously there are going to be exceptions, but for the most part, I've found a lot of my travelling experiences to be that way. Just my two cents. Take care.

Luke

leemeans

Aug 24, 2003, 8:12 PM
Post #45 of 45 (3601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The SOUTHEAST!!!!
Climb on! (Deep South Style)
-lee

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook