Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

joegoesup

Aug 12, 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #26 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to quit climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe your friends should have an intervention, put you on a plane and send you to Ohio to live. No Climbing here to speak of.

crag

Aug 12, 2003, 12:14 PM
Post #27 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Am I going about this all wrong - posting to a climbers' forum? OK. Bring it on.

Here's the situation: In the past two years since I started climbing I've achieved quite a bit.***

Oh come on! You’ve only been climbing two years. How much can you really achieved in two years? Wow! You can climb spurtty 5.14d on sight or flash a V10 in your Tevas, I’m impressed. Oh already done a couple big walls A5 variety, that’s real nasty dude.

It’s a big world and there a lot more for you to do, climbing is not the bottleneck you portray it to be, it’s the gateway to world most poor schlubs never get to experience. Quit the self admiration bullsh*t and when you’re finished with your pity party I have something for you to do. Your next climbing assignment, Greenland, see ya when you get back.

crankenstein

Aug 12, 2003, 1:23 PM
Post #28 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been there and done that. I can tell you how to moderate your obsession, but I can't tell you how to lose it. First of all, you have to meet a girl that climbs. Then you have to get married and have kids and buy a house and get a job. :shock: Then you'll have too many things going on in life and all you'll want to do is go climbing, but you'll have too many responsibilities to actually do it any more. Then, over a period of years, you will start leaving your kids with baby sitters and you and your wife will start climbing again, but this time you'll start enjoying it for what it is, not what it 'could be' or 'should be'. If it worked for me.....

epic_ed

Aug 12, 2003, 3:50 PM
Post #29 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe your friends should have an intervention, put you on a plane and send you to Ohio to live. No Climbing here to speak of.

Yep. That would do it, too. My life hasn't been the same since I left Ohio. What a blessing. But if you're interested in non-stop softball tournaments and not a bit of worthwhile climbing (I said worthwhile) then Ohio could be your dry bar, so to speak. Heck, head on up to Akron. It's the home of the foundation of the 12-step recovery movement and you might benefit from applying some of the principles in your life.

Regardless, I still implore you to send me all of your gear.

Ed

atg200

Aug 12, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #30 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahahahaha! i know josh(jsj42) well, and that makes this thread even funnier! josh, for your next sport, i recommend solo around the world sea kayaking or something along those lines.

bdawg

Aug 12, 2003, 5:54 PM
Post #31 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.cloud10.org/...ta/580/39da_pope.jpg
lol whoops

robbovius

Aug 12, 2003, 5:58 PM
Post #32 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A bit wordy, and kinda transparent, but a pretty decent troll none the less. Not quite as good as the "Bouldering with a Toprope" troll from a few weeks ago, but I gotta admit the subject is pretty inventive!!!

I give it a 5.11b!

MAN, the talent around here amazes me.

dingus

Aug 12, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #33 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Am I going about this all wrong - posting to a climbers' forum? OK. Bring it on.

Who better to cure your ills?

In order to quit, truly quit, you must complete a 12 step program. The first step is simple... you must admit you are a loser.

"Hi. My name is jsj42. I am a loser."

Once you utter those words into a mirror in a dark bathroom on the night of the next full moon, 3 times in a row, the next step will be revealed. Good luck to you. Bet you can't do it.

(Layton never got past step 7 by the way...)

DMT

unabonger

Aug 12, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #34 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to quit climbing, but you're not really even a climber yet so don't be in such a rush to move on. You'll just repeat the pattern with whatever obsession comes next. What's it gonna be? Onanism? Kayaking? It doesn't really matter because you won't be happy after two more years of whatever and of really neglecting life you'll move on again, leaving behind the partners you made, you're life in an economic, emotional, intellectual shambles.

There are three stages of climbing endevour. First, you "acquire". Skills, gear, community. Next, you "do". You climb lots. You gain physical and mental prowess. You travel. You accumulate.

Finally, and this is what you haven't figure out: You "be". And you can "be" a climber without even climbing. You can walk down the canyon and smell the birds chirping and hear the scent of the wildflower and feel the cool taste of chalk and its as good as being on the cliff.

So don't give up before you've even become.

You're welcome. Move along now. I need quiet in the hallowed hall that is my brain.

UnaBonger

freudian

Aug 12, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #35 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, you want to quit climbing because you've lost all your friends and you've forgotten how to impress women...

I can't help ya there, but I would like to add to this thread by telling you what I've GAINED since starting climbing...

First of all, I have always had friends, but very few and at any given time either 0 or 1 really good friend who doesn't turn their back on me. Since I started climbing in first year college, I've gained many lasting friendships. All my real friends except 2, I've met through climbing. Even the friends I made in college have either moved or we've stopped talking. 1 of the 2 people who are my friends from high school but I didn't meet through climbing has become my main climbing partner. She's also my ex-girlfriend, which is kinda weird, but I feel comfortable with her. She's the only female I can trust with my life without exception and my former main rock climbing partner is the only dude I trust with my life, without exception.

SO, I've gained good real friends, knowlege, plus re-gained the close friendship of my ex-girlfriend. I also don't believe I'd be the 140lbs I am today without it. I would be about 175lbs (overweight for me by far).

I climb an average of 3 days per week. I stilll have time for my friends, to read and to keep my mind on my job as well.

My only advice is MODERATION and don't spend all your money on gear anymore.

watersprite

Aug 12, 2003, 7:44 PM
Post #36 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get a nuk. It's a baby pacifier that is orthodontically correct so you can suck on it without misaligning your teeth. oh, wrong thread? I thought this was the quit smoking forum! :lol:

jsj42

Aug 12, 2003, 8:11 PM
Post #37 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, this thread has far exceeded my expectations - it has only been outdone by the pm's I've received. The suggestions have spanned the gammut from lame (send me your gear) to helpful (most of the PM's) to hysterical (gravitysucks, up2top & atg200 - LOL).

So, after reading the comments thus far, perhaps it wasn't quite clear that "quit climbing" was said tongue-in-cheek; don't get me wrong, the issue is real. Oh, and I apologize crag and unabonger for asserting that I'm actually a climber and have "achieved a lot" - you guys are right, I'm pretty much a bumblie and, in all fairness, I hardly ever even climb outside of the gym.

Anyway, thanks all. Keep it coming.

crag

Aug 12, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #38 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hardly ever even climb outside of the gym.

DUDE, GO OUT SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ronamick

Aug 12, 2003, 8:31 PM
Post #39 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you are a friggin' idiot. Here's the therapy that's right for you.Meet me on the sidewalk in front of my house, and bring a six pack for payment. I will then proceed to slap your stupid ass up and down the street for as long as my strength holds out. Treatment for any relapse will be more of the same.

crag

Aug 12, 2003, 8:38 PM
Post #40 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I've read your profile and it appears that you have climbed outside. But as you wrote you do spend most of your time in a gym. If this is true then quit the f'n gym. Pulling on plastic is like wanking, not nearly as good as the real thing. If you do live in Boulder, CO you should be ashamed for neglecting your natural surroundings.

You have a life time of climbing just out your door step. Go out and explore, the people you'll meet will be more than enough to satisfy any emotional and physical need.

Oh, and one more thing its never about what you've done it's about what you haven't done.

unabonger

Aug 12, 2003, 9:22 PM
Post #41 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't miss my point. Climbing has nothing to do with your location or the time you've spent doing it.

Inside, outside, bumbly, grumbly; it doesn't matter. You should engage that state of mind that focuses you so well during those peak moments that make you love doing it--and use it everywhere in your life.

Then you don't have to be actually climbing to be climbing.

Yes. I have mastered this state of grace, and I can use it to pinch your neck like Darth Vader. Now get out there and drink some Mountain Dew.

UnaBonger

anothertucsonclimber

Aug 12, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #42 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Snoop Doggy Dog needs to get himself a JOBBY JOB....!

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 13, 2003, 1:43 AM
Post #43 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

move to texas. that should do the trick. quite honestly, it will suck the life out of you pretty quick.

imaclima

Aug 13, 2003, 1:51 AM
Post #44 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds to me like you just about got this climbing thing down. seriously man if you are that into it quit your job and climb full time, it'll be more fun than.....................................quitting climbing :evil:

oh and by the way, if you do quit, trade me houses

takeme

Aug 13, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #45 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Crag"--So, how does that hook feel??

I've climbed with Josh a fair bit, and it's no stretch to say he's accomplished more in 2 years than many good climbers will get done in a lifetime. I could give you his tick-list (only a bit of which is represented on this web-site), but what's the point?

The point is that having crammed 10 or 20 or 40 years worth of climbing into 2, he's experiencing major burnout. Every time I climb with him, I'm amazed at the wear and tear on his gear. People talk about breaking into nervous sweats the nights before big routes and goals; I break into the same any night before climbing with Josh, regardless of the route!

Charles

In reply to:
Ok, I've read your profile and it appears that you have climbed outside. But as you wrote you do spend most of your time in a gym. If this is true then quit the f'n gym. Pulling on plastic is like wanking, not nearly as good as the real thing. If you do live in Boulder, CO you should be ashamed for neglecting your natural surroundings.

You have a life time of climbing just out your door step. Go out and explore, the people you'll meet will be more than enough to satisfy any emotional and physical need.

Oh, and one more thing its never about what you've done it's about what you haven't done.

takeme

Aug 13, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #46 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Crag"--So, how does that hook feel??

I've climbed with Josh a fair bit, and it's no stretch to say he's accomplished more in 2 years than many good climbers will get done in a lifetime. I could give you his tick-list (only a bit of which is represented on this web-site), but what's the point?

The point is that having crammed 10 or 20 or 40 years worth of climbing into 2, he's experiencing major burnout. Every time I climb with him, I'm amazed at the wear and tear on his gear. People talk about breaking into nervous sweats the nights before big routes and goals; I break into the same any night before climbing with Josh, regardless of the route!

Charles

In reply to:

ptone

Aug 13, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #47 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wait, here is an idea--maybe try a cross-addiction...work on getting an addiction to belaying instead of climbing!
Oh, maybe that wouldn't work either tho...I got a sudden flash just now, walking into some gym and seeing all the grigris around the room bolted to the floor, except one. In the corner there's some poor guy with the last one on his harness, shaking it hard, coming down fast cause he picked an unfinished project, and its the setters night off...!

Oh well...

peace
p

supe

Aug 13, 2003, 3:17 AM
Post #48 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Umm... yeah
i have experience in such fields to tell you the truth. Now first of all, if i post my addiction you can't laugh. I know its dumb, and not considered "Cool" but hey.

So when i was a bit in my younger teens i got addicted to the computer game starcraft. Yeah, pretty fun, but i went way overboard. Everyday after school it was screw homework, screw freinds, etc... I only played starcraft. There was one type of game in particular that i frikin OWNED! i did this for like six months. People on the site worshipped me. But i finally woke up one day and said, "i'm a loser".

that was it. I moved on. I still played, and and still do like once a month but i have moved on. I took up climbing, which if i can do 3 times a week. i get alot better grades. i have freinds, climbing partners, a job, and even a sort of gf. Let me tell you, life is better. I enjoy the game 50 times more when i do get around to playing it. I like climbing tons better, but know that i shouldn't make it an obsession or i'll hate it like i did starcraft for a while afterwards. So just grow up. Its not hard to make freinds, and you already have them in your belay partners.

Oh, and a foolproof way to quit climbing is highschool. Yeah it sux, just started yesterday and i am already suffocating for lack of "chalky air"!

rockitjeff

Aug 13, 2003, 3:23 AM
Post #49 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

josh-

the solution is easy. surprised nobody else has offered up the sure cure to quit climbing

marry a non-climbing bitch

trust me, after a few years, you'll be wishing you were 40, cashing your mcdonalds paycheck, nursing your aching tendons and climbing 5.6...

but child support IS a mutha.....

tonydevo

Aug 13, 2003, 5:31 AM
Post #50 of 57 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Horrible ground falls have a nice way of ending climbing careers. Here are some routes to help you along the path:

Anything rated 11R in Eldo
Go for "Meshuga" onsight
Divided Years, again onsight
Trad in the CDN rockies
Anything on NZ rock

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?