RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ptone

Aug 13, 2003, 4:27 AM
Post #1 of 5 (251 views)
Shortcut

Here's one to think about...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Uggh.
I tried all these fancy ways to nicely frame and present this so no one would get mad at me, but that is pretty silly hunh?
I know that the world is not black and white, and there are tons of great outdoor sport spots. I can't lead 5.14 and I'm not trying to belittle anyone or anything. And though I love traditional climbing, I do like to climb sport, it 's so intense in the gymnastic way, physical limits of power and balance...

Now, for all you sport climbers who dis the gym and all those who climb inside, from newbies who have no gear or climbing buds to those who are escaping 4+ feet of snow or just hooking up after work....

Whats the big deal?
I LOVE to climb outdoors, 'cause it is outside, but unless I'm climbing trad, venturing off by my own hand protected by my own placements and exploring my own way up lines (no matter how many others have climbed them) it isn't really that far off the gym...is it?

I went to a sport part of the local crag the other day. A concentrated bunch of nice little bolted climbs in a row along the escarpment, some rare vertical (not slab) 5.7, 5.8's good for beginning leaders etc, harder lines up to 5.12 or so. All about 20 meters. Bolts were pretty close at this particular area. A few people around exchanging beta and taking turns climbing the same little 20 m wall...moving down the row a bit, then up and down again.
I suddenly thought, this is just an outdoor gym!!!!
It was rock, not plastic, and the sun was out, and the birds were singing but...

Hey, I had fun climbing there. But except for the sand in my shoes...

Peace

frankfurter

Aug 13, 2003, 4:38 AM
Post #2 of 5 (251 views)
Shortcut

Re: Here's one to think about... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Too much reading....must relax....must go climbing....AHHHHHHH!!!
Stop the madness please!

ptone

Aug 13, 2003, 4:43 AM
Post #3 of 5 (251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, you're right eh!
We had a new baby on Aug 3rd, haven't climbed for a week, shoot, barely slept in a week.
This kind of thing totally doesn't matter.
What was I thinking?
I'm going to bed.

Thanks!
-p

collegekid

Aug 13, 2003, 4:45 AM
Post #4 of 5 (251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb on!

muncher

Aug 13, 2003, 4:56 AM
Post #5 of 5 (251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it is more the people who exclusively climb in the gym and spray about their routes that people hate. A large number of climbers get to the gym or a woody in a garage to train when they can't get to the crag but that is all that it is, a training tool.

Sure, sport climbing may not be the purest form of climbing but there is a huge difference to jug hauling up some 8m overhang in the gym to cranking up some 20-30m route at the crag. The whole deal with being outside and all is just so much better than being in some dingy gym, and the rock, plastic just doesn't come close.

Your point about some crowded sport crags being pretty close to a gym is valid, but still there are plenty of good crags without the hordes of the latest brand of X treme climbers.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook