RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

markanite

Aug 13, 2003, 3:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Name the camera
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What camera would you recommend? (Thanks for all comments!)

Budget: 400 (or less)
Pref. Digital
Camera will be used outdoors, and in caves
Pictures will mostly be used in their digital format (don't plan to print often)
Main concern is color and clarity and being able to take lots of pictures (oh ya and battery life)

THANKS!

mbond

Aug 13, 2003, 3:33 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Re: Name the camera [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Canon S400 is a good digital point & shoot. It's nice and compact, so is easy to carry while climbing (or caving). The image quality is quite good, and it has a long-exposure mode which may be useful in caves, although it does tend to pick up a fair amount of noise on longer exposures.

The battery life is also pretty good, much better than in the earlier Canon digitals. List is $499, but I've seen it for as low as $430.

If you're not printing that often and don't need 4 megapixels, I've also heard good things about the A60 / A70. I think the A70 is 3.2 MP. It offers more manual control and costs less as well.

biff

Aug 13, 2003, 3:34 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are so many to choose from that it is almost a waste of time to make suggestions, but I'll be quick

I know alot of people with the Canon A60 (I have an A40) and they love it.
It takes great pictures, and has alot of manual control if you want to use those features.

but really any 2-3 Mega pixel camera will do what you want.

bdawg

Aug 13, 2003, 4:55 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an olympus stylus 300 and I love it. Its really good for the outdoors, its an all metal case, and its water resisitant. Not sure how good the pictures will turn out inside of a cave tho, most digital cameras are not good at taking pictures in low light conditions.

naitch

Aug 13, 2003, 5:39 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the Canon s400 recommendation. I have one and frequently take it with me climbing. It has a sturdy stainless steel case and is well made. If you don't plan on printing the pictures you should be able to take a huge qunaity of pictures depending upon quality, resolution, and the size of the memory card (if you buy an addtional one). It comes with a 32mb card but I've got several 256mb cards - however I shoot in high res mode because I want to print. You may be able to get by with the 32mb card that comes with it.

Another thing, if you don't plan on printing, you could probably get by with the Canon s200 (~$250) which is only a 2 megapixel camera, but if you don't plan on prinitng, the resolution is more than adequate. The only drawback is it is only 2x instead of the s400's 3x. If having a tele is important to you, then one of Olympus' 8x or 10x would be good, though not built as well as the Canon. You sould be able to get one of those for around $400 I would think.

amicussaxi

Aug 13, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend and I use a MINOLTA Dimage Xt. You can find it for under $400. the best feature is it's ultra thin, can just slip it in your pocket. 3mega pixel, 3x optical zoom, up to 2048x1536. It takes awesome pictures, and we've had it out for several days without charging.

One thing you want to think about though is though great for your climbing pics, any digital camera i've seen, from minolta to nikon, sucks in low light (unless you spend over a grand for an slr) Most of the time caving we just use disposables, less to risk getting ruined too!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook