RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

frawg

May 21, 2002, 5:02 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

MY FIRST LEAD WOOHOO!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So i'm all stoked.

I went to moab this weekend..
Ok.. so a bunch of unsavory schit happened to begin with... (SOME members in my party wanted to stay at a pahy campground and sleep next to some guys trailor home) Luckily, the Moab Gods weeded out the garden, and we (WE being the people who i WANTED to take camping with me, not the other "tourons") ended up on echo canyon. it was chill.

Saturday we went to wall street, Met some badazz peeps climbing there, and i have never followed, or lead a route. The one guy with us who had lead a route couldn't do it. He couldn't make the climb, so i tried my hand at it.. I'm stoked. I was scared.. I was excited.. Holy schit!! That was the dope!!! So i got to the top, set up a toprpe, and let the others Try their hand at it...

I was hoping that i had a pic of it.. but i was too nervous when i left the ground to think about it, and i didnt think about it till after, but my brother thought about it, and he hooked me up phat. So i'm stoked. I have a pic of my First Ever Lead on a Sport Route!

And it was in MOAB! Hell yeah. Moab rock is SOOOOooo Nice. I pulled boulders all weekend, and climbed some crack, and my skin isn't all raw and sore.. the rock is soooo friendly to the skin. Highly recommend the Moab to anybody.
peaze,
frawg

Edited to put a link for the pic of my first EVER LEAD!!!
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=4657

[ This Message was edited by: frawg on 2002-05-21 10:05 ]

Partner jules

May 21, 2002, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

MY FIRST LEAD WOOHOO!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was only in a gym, BUT...
Here's my first time leading.

And here is Vanessa's... (vaness)

Anyone else?

[ This Message was edited by: juliana on 2002-05-21 10:16 ]

frawg

May 21, 2002, 5:17 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice.
My first clipping in would have been nice to catch, but taking pictures was kinda in back of my mind... secondary to surviving.. hehe
Peaze,
frawg

boretribe

May 21, 2002, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations frawg. I also did my first lead and first crack climbs this weekend in Joshua Tree. They were trad leads and I was scared SH!TLESS. 5.6 (leaping leanna) and 5.8 ('nilla wafer) never felt so hard in my life and getting to the top never felt so good.

It's a rush to be shaking like a leaf on some 5.6 trying to place pro without falling when 15 minutes earlier I on sighted a 5.10b layback on top rope. Trad Rules!

As soon as I regain the skin on the back of my hands from the cracks I'm headed out for more.

frawg

May 21, 2002, 6:21 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't wait to try the trad.. Lead, follow, i'm all down for either. The beauty about the rocks i was on is that it didnt chew thru my skin.
Loving the sandstone.
frawg

topher

May 21, 2002, 11:09 PM
Post #6 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow you have moer balls then my, my first lead was a five 7 i think, I i wouldnt have tryed a 5 11 for my first lead, good job. now you have to just take your first zipper, thats when the fun gets started.

rockjunkie

May 21, 2002, 11:17 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still waiting for my lead-cherry to be popped. I'm hoping it will be on my climbing trip to acadia this summer (trad).

Peace

tommy~

bmsullivan

May 22, 2002, 12:28 AM
Post #8 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Frawg....

Congrats on your lead....bolts or gear, it's still leading. I didn't even know Moab had bolted routes.

Boretribe..
Leaping Leana is an awesome climb.....the first 10 feet didn't offer much pro, a red tri cam, but once you hit that crack, the party is on.

Congrats to you both.....

frawg

May 22, 2002, 1:32 AM
Post #9 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks.
As far as bawls go.. I was scared outta my mind. So i don't know that it was a bawll issue

peaze
frawg

tanderson

May 22, 2002, 1:58 AM
Post #10 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Frawg...

Way to go on your first lead. Its a great feeling of accomplishment. Keep at it! The more you do it, the more comfortable you'll feel. Next thing you know the whippers will be second nature and you'll focus more on the climbing than the falling!

Happy Climbin'

couloir

May 22, 2002, 2:17 AM
Post #11 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My first lead was a trad route. It was a great climb at Sam's Throne in Arkansas. A friend and me decided that we were doing our first leads that weekend. Unfortunately when we got to the area we were climbing, which is this cap of rock away from the main bluffs, we heard this loud thud back at the main bluff. We hiked back over there and a guy had fallen off the top of the bluff, which was around 70ft. About two hours later we got him on a helicopter and he ended up being ok, even though he looked like he wouldn't be ok. Anyways, back to the lead. We got back to our gear and I could tell that my friend was pretty nervous. I told him I'd go first. I wasn't nervous the entire time, even though there were a couple of times that I came very close to pitching off(even though it was only 5.7+), and I imagine it was the fact that dealing with that fall just made leading a route seem pretty tame. Well I made it up and then my friend did it. I'd have to say that was the best climbing trip I ever took, even though we were involved with the fall and we didn't climb hardly anything else.

frawg

May 22, 2002, 2:29 AM
Post #12 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa coulior, that's some crazy schit to go thru right before your first lead.
I probably woulda shat myself and said hey maybe another day...

Right on.
peaze
frawg

stevematthys

May 22, 2002, 2:31 AM
Post #13 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep on leading

bustinmins

Aug 16, 2003, 10:06 AM
Post #14 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

First lead [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats on your first lead. I'm just beginning to lead myself. I've only led a super simple 5.4 sport route Gumby Cat at the Catslab in the Denver area called "Clear Creek". I'm going to lead "Grizzabella" on the catslab next week - 5.7. I've cleaned a trad route and am learning to set pro and anchors. I intend to lead a super simple Eldorado Canyon route on the west face of the Whale's Tail. I enjoy climbing and need to play more but I'm getting better with each week. I topped a 5.8+ on the pyramid in Eldo last week. I think the routes are soft in ELDO - a 5.6 kicked my butt and the 5.8+ was an easier climb for me for some reason. However - Bastille's Crack - the first two pitches 5.7 - handed me my butt too. :)

Just remember - its all fun and games until someone loses an eye. :)

Congrats on your first lead - keep on climbing.

Peace,

JD

arkangel

Aug 16, 2003, 1:10 PM
Post #15 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Re: First lead [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow... talk about resurrecting a dead post:-) It's like a year and a quarter later.

nnichols

Aug 18, 2003, 2:07 AM
Post #16 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, since some of us are newbies, old posts will get resurrected! I did my 1st lead a couple of weeks ago at the gym and it definitely added more F&F to climbing (fear & fun). :D Unfortunately I don't have any lead partners to practice with :(. Maybe luck will change soon!

sustainedclimber

Aug 18, 2003, 4:09 AM
Post #17 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, since you brought it back to life, I might as well continue it. A few weeks ago I did my first leading ever. I did three sport climbs at Rumney, the first being a 5.6, and the other two being 5.8's I was so excited, and so nervous at the same time, now I just want to get back there and do more of them!!! Connecticut, where I'm from unfortunately has NO BOLTS!!!! even though it has some great crags. Damn controversies!

climbhigherthanenough

Aug 18, 2003, 4:20 AM
Post #18 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today i led my first climb it was awesome we lead a 5 10 c and they worked on a 5 12 which i took my first fall on which was about 15 feet what a rush so much fun can't wait to go out and do it again

ptone

Aug 18, 2003, 4:59 AM
Post #19 of 19 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It makes me smile to hear the energy in you!
Thanks for bringing it here 8)

I remember my first lead--adrenaline coursing, I climbed better than I ever had on tr, concentrating that little bit more, everything going crystal clear...scary as sht watching the bolt below get further under your feet...then clipping the next--second guessing every move.
Then the greatist gift I've ever received, freely given to me through climbing...
Proving your brain wrong--solidly doing what it tells you you'll never be able to do...!

Can't describe that feeling to anyone who hasn't done it, eh?

Enjoy it. You're here!

Climb on...
peace,
p

Oh, and PS--ignore the ones who complain about repeating posts--Tho it's true I agree with them for redundant gear or tech questions, (and never want to hear about shoes again)

But with so many complaints and fears and pessimistic bitch sessions, hey, it is FANTASTIC you've come to share the celebration of the freedom you have just found! That's awesome! Helps me remember why I climb!
Keep it up, it gets better and better!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook