RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

halcyon

Aug 17, 2003, 5:33 AM
Post #1 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Going without
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I haven't been climbing (truly climbing) in 22 days. Yeah, It's killing me. I've been bouldering at my health club, buildering every opportunity, and trying to get my climing partners to go (every time they do, I can't for one reason or another). I went rappeling to do some photography while my friend led a climb, but due to certain circumstances, I was unable to climb that day.

My question to all of you is, how long have you been able to fight the craving to go climbing, with no injuries, while it's in season? Did you ever recover from the insanity?

dirtineye

Aug 17, 2003, 5:50 AM
Post #2 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Re: Going without [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were in your shoes, I'd already be insane. In fact, according to laymen, I already am insae. GOing 22 days wihtout climbing, that's just nuts. NO way I could ever go that long. A week off is horrible, unthinkable unbearable. there must be something wrong with you if you can go 22 days without real rocks in yur diet. Get help.

offwidthclimber

Aug 17, 2003, 6:02 AM
Post #3 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A week off is horrible, unthinkable unbearable. there must be something wrong with you if you can go 22 days without real rocks in yur diet. Get help.

nah... it's called college, winter, and booze. pretty easy in some parts to go that long without climbing real rock, especially when the sun sets at 3:50 pm and you've got class until 5:00 pm, and tons of booze and hot women at the bars.

it's called ski season.

jerryw

Aug 17, 2003, 6:06 AM
Post #4 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nah... it's called college, winter, and booze. pretty easy in some parts to go that long without climbing real rock, especially when the sun sets at 3:50 pm and you've got class until 5:00 pm, and tons of booze and hot women at the bars.
LOL.... hmm, sounds like I went to the wrong place for college....

halcyon

Aug 17, 2003, 6:11 AM
Post #5 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to go yesterday. I was so stoked. My partners had to wait a few hours (like... 6). Then came the thunderhead. . . .

Damn.

jerryw

Aug 17, 2003, 6:16 AM
Post #6 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was going to go yesterday. I was so stoked. My partners had to wait a few hours (like... 6). Then came the thunderhead. . . .
Same thing happened to me today, but more like partner got lazy and the thunderstorm rolled in early afternoon... haven't gone in like a week and a half now...

the_dude

Aug 17, 2003, 6:28 AM
Post #7 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were in your shoes and I couldn't find a partner, I would go up to LCC and Boulder! But that doesn't answer your question. :)

The longest I went without climbing was 5 weeks due to a finger injury. To keep my sanity, I ran alot. Kept me in shape and I stayed psyched for when my finger healed. I never knew I could run so much. In the long run,(no pun intended) I think it improved my climbing overall.

jipstyle

Aug 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
Post #8 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I pulled a tendon in the ring finger of my right hand.

Haven't climbed in weeks.

Am moving to Vancouver on Wednesday, and I'm not sure I'll be able to climb when I get there.

:(

gasdr

Aug 17, 2003, 12:04 PM
Post #9 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with jipstyle, haven't climbed in seven weeks due to the exact same injury...left ring finger. Of course, it has rained every freakin' day in the past seven weeks so it really doesn't matter I guess. :cry: :evil:

allan_thomson

Aug 17, 2003, 2:11 PM
Post #10 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to skip 2 yrs, but that was because of illness, not self imposed. Its been hell! Just starting out again. That said the lad from across I climbed with on Wednesday found it hard to believe I hadn't climbed for 2yrs, he said my technique + strenght was still good, and our first climb was a tough route. Can't wait till I get out again.

the_dude

Aug 18, 2003, 6:46 AM
Post #11 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People with finger injuries: tape that finger when you start climbing again. Run your ass off during your down time. I love running now and it will keep you in good shape if not better. (disregard this post if you already run).
Cheers!

dlintz

Aug 18, 2003, 11:13 AM
Post #12 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't climb for seven months following back surgery. It didn't matter the first few months due to postsurgical soreness but after a while I was getting the itch to climb pretty damn bad.

bsperes

Aug 18, 2003, 1:59 PM
Post #13 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

into my third week of no climbing of any kind due to a severe wrist sprain. I am getting my wisdom teeth (all 4) out on Wed and at the end of October I am getting my tonsils out. I am hoping to hit the gym again by the end of November. The worst is for a big part of that time I will not be able to run, hike, etc either.

Argh

ptone

Aug 18, 2003, 2:50 PM
Post #14 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ramped up climbing time this summer, got some good momentum going--working up a grade on routes, and working on a new bouldering area developing near here--then my baby daughter arrived...

I love her dearly, I do.
It was a couple of weeks before I got my suprisingly weakening ass out to the rock, a taste which brought back the craving, a craving which woke me to the harsh reality of my situation.
My days of calling in with random ailments to trade a day's pay for a day climbing may be fading into obscurity.

I lost a few months with a shoulder injury last winter, but I knew I'd eventually be back.
When I slipped at the beginning of a rap on my little climbing island the other day though, it was her life that flashed before my eyes.
Somehow I can't imagine a life without climbing, or of climbing only once in a while.

I guess I'm entering the bargaining stage...
peace,
p

jipstyle

Aug 18, 2003, 5:40 PM
Post #15 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_dude:

I intend to tape my finger well ... thanks for the advice. I also run regularly, so that is taken care of ... I started running when I pulled a tendon in my right arm, strangely enough. ;)

Thanks again for the advice.

boulderman

Aug 18, 2003, 6:07 PM
Post #16 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

had to stop for a few days when a hernia burst through my abdominal wall while bouldering. I tried to tuck it back in but it kept pooping.. I mean.. popping back out :shock:

cass

Aug 18, 2003, 6:46 PM
Post #17 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boulderman – go see a doc

yep it sucks especially when you’ve something planned.

you know it sucks for both of us at the mo…well supposedly, I should have done something about it at the time myself but duh http://www.boldering.com/.../emoticons/idiot.gif
I do so so miss

asdf I can’t post either...duh :roll:
oh yeah note the signature, it’s a kitten - duh!

dirtineye

Aug 18, 2003, 7:27 PM
Post #18 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys with hand trouble, do no-hands problems!!!!!!

Wet weather is no excuse to stay off the rock. Climb accordlingly.

No partner? Go bouldering.

Watch out for the career ending finger injury (Marriage to a non-climber) though.

To those of you with serious medical problems that keep you from climbing, my sympathies!

It's easier to go without sex than to go without climbing-- just ask unlce_big_green LOL.

boulderman

Aug 18, 2003, 7:39 PM
Post #19 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did, I was just jokeing about taking a few days off.

halcyon

Aug 18, 2003, 10:34 PM
Post #20 of 20 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'm gonna spend some moneys on some locking biners so I can set up a TR anchor. Then I can teach my older bro how to belay and turn him into my belay slave for when my partners can't go. I can only boulder for so long before I have to get out on a somewhat long pitch...

(do locking D's work well as TR anchors?)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook