RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

ryemill

Aug 19, 2003, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1379 views)
Shortcut

sandrock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi, i am fairly new to climbing and am going to sandrock and rocktown the first week of next month. i'm really wanting to try some sport routes when i go, ive done it in the gym a few times and on real rock just once. i was wondering if there will be any routes there with plenty of bolts and low grades maybe like (5.6-5.7) for me to practice on. if not, does anyone have any more suggestions of places in north georgia or alabama
that has any easy bolted routes? thanks for any help, ryan

reno

Aug 19, 2003, 8:02 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Re: sandrock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You should not have much trouble finding routes of that grade at Sandrock. It's been bolted fairly extensively...

Rocktow/Lost Wall is more of a traditional and bouldering area. Few routes on Lost Wall are bolted. Those that are range from 5.10b and up.

Get Watford's guidebook for more info...

burz

Aug 19, 2003, 8:11 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have only been to Sandrock once, but when I was there I found that the bolted routes were 5.8 or harder. Like the other poster, get the Dixie Crager's Atlas, it helped me out.

stewbabby

Aug 19, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are not too many bolted easy routes at Sandrock. Although there are plenty of easy TR's or trad routes. Off hand kennel (sp?) is one of the only "easy" sport routes that I can think of by name. It is the first bolted route on the right as you enter the corridor on the holliday block. I think its given 5.8 but its a good first sport lead. its not too scary.

As has been said before Lost Wall doesnt have too many easy bolted routes. Im not sure where you are but Yonah may be a good option. Plus you would get to climb some granite. Lots of east bolted routes. Although a word of warning some of them have old bolts and some are spread out. Just use good judgement and you should be fine.

Also Kings Bluff in Clarksville TN has lots of good easy sport routes from what I hear. And it is limestone.

Hope that helps.....

stewart

montgomerywick

Aug 20, 2003, 2:13 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

easy Southeastern sport:
1) Kings Bluff in Clarksville, TN
2) South Clear Creek at the Obed in TN
3) Foster Falls, TN

there is a guidebook for first area and Dixie Craggers covers the later two.

go to www.seclimbers.org for more info

SandRock, as stu said, has really only one easy sport route (5.8), that is gang-raped daily...unless more have sprouted...but it has lots of easy topropes, so you could do alot there besides lead

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook