RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

bradmc

Aug 21, 2003, 2:03 AM
Post #1 of 2 (607 views)
Shortcut

climbing in kazakstan?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone got any beta?
preferably sport and bouldering; am headed over for the month of october; not really interested in snow and ice

atg200

Aug 21, 2003, 12:34 PM
Post #2 of 2 (607 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing in kazakstan? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

where in kazakhstan, almaty? the vast majority of the country is pretty hard to tell apart from north dakota, but the bits around almaty are very nice. i have never heard of any sport climbing in the stan's, and the climbers i know over there would laugh their asses off at the whole idea of sport climbing - but it is possible some foreigners have put in some sport routes. i would also really doubt any established bouldering, but the altay mountains should have lots of possibilities for exploration.

i haven't personally climbed in kazakhstan, but heard stories about the climbing in the altay mountains while i was talking to some climbers in tashkent a few weeks ago. climbing clubs are usually present in the major cities and fairly active, so they are your best bet for information. bring all your own hardware - all the local stuff i saw was scary at best, and i wouldn't expect things to be much different in kazakhstan from uzbekistan(where i was). it'll be getting cold in the mountains in october, so bring some warm stuff to wear as well.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook