First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

paganmonkeyboy

Aug 21, 2003, 2:51 PM
Post #26 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Re: Smoking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good luck - smoking has got to be the single hardest thing to kick for many people...i quit today again for the hundreth time, but this time i tried going in for acupuncture to remove the physical craving. so far it seems to work, the things taste less like yummy cigarettes and more like an ashtray since they stimulated the tastebud trigger points, and i have these nifty little metal beads on the earlobes to rub into the addication points when i crave a smoke...so we shall see.
a pack a day is a cam a month, plus a quickdraw....

sithel

Aug 21, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #27 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone that throws there "butts" on the ground has no respect for the land they are climbing...being in the military we have to battle dress our cigs when we are outdoors and there is no butt can to put them in. I mean really how hard is it to clean out the rest of the tobacco and then put the filter in your pocket. granted i don't smoke anymore but all my buds that do battledress there cigs when done. its just polite.

reno

Aug 21, 2003, 3:51 PM
Post #28 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of all the silly things I've done in my life (quite a few of them...) starting smoking is the dumbest thing I've ever done.

It's also the hardest thing I've ever tried to quit... not easy, and takes far more than just willpower.

If you don't smoke, don't start.

treehugger

Aug 21, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #29 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've struggled with smoking for most of my 20s, and have finally quit for good (I'm 29).

For me, the function of smoking as a stress reliever at work is what made it most difficult to quit. I just finally got to the point where the health impact was becoming too obvious to excuse away.

I willl say this: unless you want to quit, it is near impossible to do. Quitting because other folks want you to somehow isn't enough for most people.

jake_hardin

Aug 21, 2003, 4:09 PM
Post #30 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have tried to quit with no luck...but my uncle gave it up after 15 years by chewing on dumb-dumb suckers to help with the mental side of doing something with your hands.

and i do smke at the crag but always put my butts in my pocket, i may smell like a ashtray but the ground is clean...as for throwing out the window of my car...no way i don't throw anything out so i always have a empty coke bottle to drop butts in...keeps the smell out of your car

the_pirate

Aug 21, 2003, 4:12 PM
Post #31 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quitting smoking is easy...... I've done it dozens of times.

toonarmy

Aug 21, 2003, 4:15 PM
Post #32 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Q: How do you get your girlfriend to stop smoking?

A: K-Y

cthcrockclimber

Aug 21, 2003, 5:20 PM
Post #33 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Quitting smoking is easy...... I've done it dozens of times.

"Quiting smoking is easy. I've done hundreds of times."
-Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain)

haha toonarmy you made my day. I love being immature

jtme

Aug 21, 2003, 6:14 PM
Post #34 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do hope those of you that do smoke, especially here in southern California, are responsible and not flick your cigarettes away. Big Bear as well as Idyllwild are rife with dead trees just waiting to burn. And JT can be quite the tinderbox just waiting for that one spark!!!

uncertaintyprinciple

Aug 21, 2003, 6:20 PM
Post #35 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do hope those of you that do smoke, especially here in southern California, are responsible and not flick your cigarettes away. Big Bear as well as Idyllwild are rife with dead trees just waiting to burn. And JT can be quite the tinderbox just waiting for that one spark!!!

That's how one of the recent BC fires started. Guy admitted he put his butt "out" on the ground, walked away and...

Poor guy must feel like s**t...

Hopefully we will all learn from this...

jansuw

Aug 21, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #36 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been wondering for a long time and could never figure this one out! Why do people begin to smoke in the first place? Isnt the information out there or is it really that cool when you're 14?...

Seems that a lot of my friends smoked when i was younger, but no one could really tell me why, besides that it 'feels good'. Doesn't feel very good, let me tell you that! Tastes awful and makes you feel worse, atleast it did for me hehe! Why I tried... who knows! Some of them said they liked the taste of it, and that nearly made me gag! :?

toonarmy

Aug 22, 2003, 1:16 AM
Post #37 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because smoking makes you look cool.

corpse

Aug 22, 2003, 1:35 AM
Post #38 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been wondering for a long time and could never figure this one out! Why do people begin to smoke in the first place? Isnt the information out there or is it really that cool when you're 14?...

Seems that a lot of my friends smoked when i was younger, but no one could really tell me why, besides that it 'feels good'. Doesn't feel very good, let me tell you that! Tastes awful and makes you feel worse, atleast it did for me hehe! Why I tried... who knows! Some of them said they liked the taste of it, and that nearly made me gag! :?

Most of us KNEW drinking is bad for you, for we do anyways. And we ALL KNOW rock climbing is dangerous, and can kill you, but we accept the risk, because we enjoy it. And people like to smoke, most at least - I enjoyed smoking quite a bit, while I smoked - now I hate em.

robmcc

Aug 22, 2003, 2:53 AM
Post #39 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't smoke, but my car does, or at least it did about an hour ago. It doesn't usually, runs pretty good, in fact. I blame the big orange flames that melted all the plastic, broke the windshield, and cooked the paint off the hood.

Well, I know one thing. Next climbing trip, I'm not driving. :roll:

ptone

Aug 22, 2003, 3:21 AM
Post #40 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:arrow: these things drive me nuts :twisted:

I started smoking when I was in grade 7, I guess 13 yrs :shock: . A girl I had a crush on in the 8th grade asked for one, so I bought a pack to give it to her 8) (hey, I was 13). Never did get to hang out with her :oops: , but friggin smoking's been with me since :evil:

I quit for 18 days in Feb :D , was injured in a bad accident :cry: , and started again :? (I was craving opiates, it seemed a safer choice...at the time :roll: )

My baby girl was born 15 days ago :D . I'm down to 3 a day 8) , and Sunday evening is my last one :!: (thats the plan). I just can't smoke around her :( . Even when I run down the block for my evening smoke, I get back and want to wash my hair, teeth, all that :oops: . I'm suddenly totally aware of how nasty it is :evil: .

I've already noticed when climbing, I don't pump out as fast :) , and am less sore in the morning :D , just from better circulation! :lol:

All the money saved, the climbing improved, better taste and smell, even my smell, kudos from baby and approval from friends, and you know what?
I want a smoke. (emoticon for slapping forehead)
Wish me luck!
peace,
-p

ropeburn

Aug 22, 2003, 4:40 AM
Post #41 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost two years ago I woke up from a hard nites partying and lit up. I immediately put it out, I just couldn't do it anymore. I had been smoking for ten years. The day before I had smoked almost two packs. I quit for the first time cold turkey and have not looked back. It was hard, most worthwhile things are. The first week I went to the bar and got drunk cause I knew it'd be hard. Most of my friends still smoke. I guess thats why I can finally kick their a$$'s running biking and climbing. :D Oh yeah, I like short sentences.

toonarmy: That was great, I too appreciate immature humor. :lol:

ptone: Good luck, it just gets easier.

:mrgreen:

gumbythepregnantelephant

Aug 22, 2003, 4:57 AM
Post #42 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm all for this kind of constructive forum conversation and anything that helps people from not killing themselves, whether that be gear advice, techniques or quitting smoking (and which of those kills more people I wonder?) but I am intrigued to know exactly what the first poster was wondering to get out of a question like 'do climbers smoke' I mean hey, I know a hampster who likes to gangster rap but it doesn't mean he is more or less of a hampster because of it, it is incedental not causal.
but good on you all who want to or have quit, I've never smoked and i don;t want to get all high and mighty (maybe because I'm short and whimpish?), but good on you all for not killing yourselves, the rest of the community and maybe an offspring or two. :)

ps, I don't really know a hampster like that, if I did I'd be making a fortune off the circus or crappy TV shows

ropeburn

Aug 22, 2003, 5:11 AM
Post #43 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know a hampster who likes to gangster rap but it doesn't mean he is more or less of a hampster because of it, it is incedental not causal.

This is wonderful. I know an agent who is looking for a hamster just like this, I 'll hook you up.

:mrgreen:

nonick

Aug 22, 2003, 5:44 AM
Post #44 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I smoke, but none of my climbing friends do. Its weird but there are times when I go without cigs for 3-4 days without even feeling it. It does affect my stamina, even though I run regularly on a weekly basis (more than 10 miles).

Best way to quit I think is to hang out more with non smokers.

rendog

Aug 22, 2003, 4:05 PM
Post #45 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
anyone that throws there "butts" on the ground has no respect for the land they are climbing...being in the military we have to battle dress our cigs when we are outdoors and there is no butt can to put them in. I mean really how hard is it to clean out the rest of the tobacco and then put the filter in your pocket. granted i don't smoke anymore but all my buds that do battledress there cigs when done. its just polite.

hmmm you're one of the few other people that i've heard of that does this too.
I smoke. I think I have always smoked (except for a few 6 month sets with no nicotine) since I was 16. I hate it. but well I could go on for pages of excuses, but the main one would have to be that I am lame. that's all there is to it.

Like sithel said, it's easy to dump out the tobacco and put the empty but into a pocket or something. and it's not only polite, it's the right thing to do.

it takes 12 years for a cig butt to decompose.

the_pirate

Aug 22, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #46 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find it weird that when I'm at the crag or hiking in the woods, I will "battledress" my cigs, as you call it. As well as pack out every single match and bit of foil or plastic wrapper. But when I'm at home in the city, I'll flick butts and wrappers like it was nothing....

bumblie

Aug 22, 2003, 4:17 PM
Post #47 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But when I'm at home in the city, I'll flick butts and wrappers like it was nothing....

So, you're only environmentally conscious where it's considered trendy?

the_pirate

Aug 22, 2003, 4:22 PM
Post #48 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More like preserving the pristine, and trashing the already trashed.

bumblie

Aug 22, 2003, 4:29 PM
Post #49 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How convenient. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Smokers are already pariahs in this country. Tossing you butts out the window just gives people one more reason to hate smokers.

the_pirate

Aug 22, 2003, 4:31 PM
Post #50 of 58 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't hate me because I smoke.

Hate me because I'm beautiful.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)