RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Used Gear / Great Deals

Premier Sponsor:

traddad

Aug 22, 2003, 2:18 PM
Post #1 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Traddad's Rules of used gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

After reading several posts where people were selling used gear for more than I could find it new, I decided to take it upon myself to write down Traddad’s rules of buying and selling used gear.

When you are posting your gear here, consider that the people looking have access to computers and presumably know how to operate Google. Selling used gear for anywhere NEAR what it can be bought for on sale at the myriad of online retailers is a waste of zeros and ones. Do your homework before posting. A couple of rules of thumb:

·New gear, tags intact and in the original container should be priced at least 30- 40% off retail. Hey, we are buying a pig in a poke (Google that reference if you’re too young) and 20% off sales are pretty common. Remember, 90% of the time we don’t know you, you are probably on the other side of the continent and shipping, which the seller usually pays, is expensive and takes a long time. Consider these things whether you are the buyer or the seller. Also consider that caveat emptor (Google that one, too) always rules. The seller is not REI with a 100% guarantee and the buyer is not the First National Bank.

·Gently used gear should be 50-60% off. We do not know the providence of that cam you’re selling. One person’s idea of gently used could include using that cam as an anchor for winching their pick’em up truck out of a ravine.

·Trashed gear should be kept and cherished as trophies of noble battle.

Now a special note on ropes and slings: Ropes are the only non-redundant piece of gear most people will ever use. Even if the rope or sling is new with hang tags and the receipt, I still don’t know where it’s been. And why are you selling it, any way? Hey, my BMW has it’s battery in the trunk. Battery acid and BATTERY ACID FUMES eat nylon. This is just one of a hundred things that could go wrong. Ropes are stout and overbuilt and I have only personally heard of one breaking (it was WAY beat and should have already been a rug) but I would still only buy a rope from a climbing shop or someone that I would trust belaying me. In short, be very careful buying anything nylon.

These are just suggestions. You are free to ask whatever you want for that hank of Goldline that's been holding up an engine block for ten years, but remember, the folks on this board have access to a huge amount of information. Don't insult us.

tenn_dawg

Aug 22, 2003, 2:26 PM
Post #2 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Re: Traddad's Rules of used gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post buddy,

I have even looser standards than most when it comes to booty or used gear, but even I am heistant to use a used rope. Now back to ebay to check on some Aliens...

Travis

crux_move

Aug 22, 2003, 8:02 PM
Post #3 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck, there is a whole slew of Aliens on Ebay........... Traddaad Great post, some people think their old worn out crap is worth more than new price. Go Figure :arrow: :?:

crux_move

Aug 22, 2003, 8:04 PM
Post #4 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh by the way, I would never trust a used rope for anything more than a haul line at best

the_pirate

Aug 22, 2003, 8:56 PM
Post #5 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made a nice living room rug out of my old rope. (morrow book of knots) And I trust it completely. That said, I can't bring myself to buy any used gear that I can't pick up and examine closely.

alpiner

Aug 22, 2003, 9:13 PM
Post #6 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey, my BMW has it’s battery in the trunk. Battery acid and BATTERY ACID FUMES eat nylon.

Correct on two out of three. Some cars have batteries in the trunk. And don't spill acid on your rope. But the fumes that a car battery puts off are not acidic (just hydrogen, which is why they can explode if you jump start wrong).

traddad

Aug 22, 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #7 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Enaaaaah! Sound of buzzer indicating wrong answer. Lead acid batteries have sulfuric acid as an electrolyte. Sulfuric acid can and does exist as a gas. The sulfuric acid we used in the lab I used to run at ASU ate the innards of our mass spec. Cost us big bucks. Otherwise, you are right, batteries also give off hydrogen gas.

alpiner

Aug 23, 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #8 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bzzzzt. At normal operating temperatures, a car battery does not give off sulfuric acid vapors. If they did, your precious BMWer would have corroded away by now. Acid does tend to wick up the diodes, which is all that ugly stuff around the connections, but vapors aren't going to hurt a rope under normal circumstances.

redpoint73

Aug 23, 2003, 12:18 AM
Post #9 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post. Hope seller's read it before posting.

I've see this problem on all sorts of items, not just climbing gear. For some reason, people think they can sell used items for what they paid for it new -- which is hogwash. If buyers wanted to pay that much for the item, they could just go to a retail store and buy it. Plus they would not have to go through the hassle of sending money to a stranger, getting an item which might not be in ideal condition, wait for it to get shipped, etc. Common sense. Yet for somehow, some sellers just don't get it!

Even for items that are brand new and in the original packaging, you usually have to count on selling it for 10-20% less than retail due to whole shipping and money hassle I mentioned above. Unless the item is rare or in high demand.

traddad

Aug 23, 2003, 12:31 AM
Post #10 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Normal conditions? I live in AZ which is 3" away from hell. I left a thermometer in my trunk post sampling run and it read 157 F when I pulled it out.
Anyway....Stop by our lab next time you're in PHX. I'll let you take a sniff at the ol' H2SO4 bottle. Best cure for nose hairs out there.

gunkiemike

Aug 24, 2003, 2:28 AM
Post #11 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="the_pirate"]I made a nice living room rug out of my old rope. quote]

You must have a very small living room.

tenn_dawg

Aug 24, 2003, 2:37 AM
Post #12 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Normal conditions? I live in AZ which is 3" away from hell. I left a thermometer in my trunk post sampling run and it read 157 F when I pulled it out.
Anyway....Stop by our lab next time you're in PHX. I'll let you take a sniff at the ol' H2SO4 bottle. Best cure for nose hairs out there.

I was in a chem lab once, and we were working with the high molarity H2SO4. You know, the stuff in the glass bottles.

Anyway, I was pouring it into a workable container, and some ran down the side of the glass bottle and got on the inside cutucle of my thumb. I didin't notice it at the time, although I did notice a little discomfort it later in the lab but shrugged it off.

I was a bastard for a chem student, and never followed protocol, so of course I didin' t wash my hands.

Later that day, the skin on the inside of my thumb SLUFFED OFF.

That stuff loves organic compounds as well as nylon.

Travis

curt

Aug 24, 2003, 3:51 AM
Post #13 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I was in a chem lab once, and we were working with the high molarity H2SO4. You know, the stuff in the glass bottles.

Anyway, I was pouring it into a workable container, and some ran down the side of the glass bottle and got on the inside cutucle of my thumb. I didin't notice it at the time, although I did notice a little discomfort it later in the lab but shrugged it off.

I was a bastard for a chem student, and never followed protocol, so of course I didin' t wash my hands.

Later that day, the skin on the inside of my thumb SLUFFED OFF.

That stuff loves organic compounds as well as nylon.

Travis

Damn good thing it wasn't HF.

Curt

traddad

Aug 24, 2003, 4:43 AM
Post #14 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Damn good thing it wasn't HF.

Curt"

Yipes!!!!

I've only used it once, to clean frits on volumetric flasks. Looked down at the Birkenstocks I was wearing and asked myself "what's wrong with this picture?"

Some shitte is just too dangerous.

traddad

Aug 24, 2003, 4:45 AM
Post #15 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gawd I hate the censorship program. Did Ashcroft design it? Poo indeed!!!!!

organic

Aug 24, 2003, 4:48 AM
Post #16 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steaming poo seems real dangerous... BUMP!

climber49er

Aug 24, 2003, 7:42 AM
Post #17 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just saw an incomplete set (9) of used Metolius curve nuts on Ebay for $80.00. Someone out there has a brand new set for $72.00 right now, I think that included shipping.

I emailed the seller to point this out and the response was kind but strange, "I see stuff on Ebay all the time for more than new, noboday HAS to pay what I am asking".

Oh - kaaaaaaaayyyy!

chickskistuff

Sep 3, 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #18 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Somewhat True! Depends on what is being sold and the condition.
Sure you never know what you are buying for sure but you can always ask for pictures to be sent first! Who wants to sell something they paid good money for for 30-50% off when they paid full price and maybe didn't even get 5 bucks use out of it? I think it all just depends but good advice non the less.

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook