First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

maculated

Aug 22, 2003, 9:28 PM
Post #26 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Re: My List of Colleges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dartmouth and Humboldt? Those two are like, in totally different leagues. You'd better decide what kind of school before you go any further.

jumpingrock

Aug 22, 2003, 9:30 PM
Post #27 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UBC 1 hr from Squamish

scuclimber

Aug 25, 2003, 7:43 AM
Post #28 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure about their environmental studies programs, but Santa Clara U., Stanford, and Cal Berkeley are all near bouldering areas and the ocean for sailing?

GO SCU! Our enviro studies department needs a bit of help though. With those scores and valedictorian status I'd say you can automatically discount a lot of schools. Middlebury's enviro studies program is phenomenal, they were the first school in the country to offer that major (yeah, I read the OUTSIDE article). Cal is awesome. The reason UC out of state tuition is so much is b/c we (arguably) have the best public university system in the country. Another book you might check out is called the "Hidden Ivies" and talks about a bunch of fantastic lib-arts schools that don't get as much recognition as other schools. Also, think about Colorado College in Colorado Springs... I was really close to going there, mostly for the outdoor opportunities, and it's a good school with a good rep. As I remember it is stronger in the sciences than the arts, so you should be good with enviro majors there.

Colin

charrock

Aug 26, 2003, 1:31 AM
Post #29 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey: I can tell you that I don't know anything about this school. The location of Brevard is tough to beat. It has some of the best whitewater paddling in the USA within 0-2 hrs. I know you didn't mention Kayaking but a must try for those in this area. Great rock as previously mentioned, hiking the Blue Ridge, Pisgah Nat. forest out the front door, mnt. biking as good as can be had in the east. Makes me wish I was 30...ok 33 years younger. Charlie

petsfed

Aug 26, 2003, 2:24 AM
Post #30 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With your scores, (and grades) you should have no problem paying for school, so I'll throw my vote in for CU Boulder. It just got #1 party school in the nation (with honorable mentions on boozing, toking, and not studying!) but if you don't drink excessively, you should have a good time. All of the BEST bouldering spots on the front range are farther from Boulder than one would like (and the best sport climbing is 3 hours away), but it puts you in an excellent position to get honed on moderate bouldering, hard trad, and killer road trips. Its only a hard days drive to Jtree (like 18-20 hours), and half days to Indian Creek, Sinks Canyon, Provo, Little Cottonwood, Rifle, Vedauwoo, the Winds, and a couple hours to Lumpy Ridge, the South Platte, Rocky Mountain National Park, need I go on? I didn't go to CU because I couldn't afford it (and I lived 20 miles away from it). You can afford it, and they have a pretty good program all around, although I don't know how good geology is there. You might want to consider Wyoming and live high on the hog with all those unneeded scholarships though...

trekker17

Aug 27, 2003, 12:05 AM
Post #31 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. This college stuff is really tough. There are so many choices that I kind of feel overwhelmed. Oh well.

Anyways, after talking to my friend who just took a college visit to Stanford, he said it looked like an awesome place to be, especially with the option of many good looking ladies. I looked into a little more and Stanford seems to have a decent Geological and Environmental Studies program which is right up my alley. Does anyone have any opinions on this university and the climbing nearby?

Also, I figured that if I decide to go to a school without good climbing, it might as well have good weather. So I'll add Rollins College in Winter Park, FL, University of Hawaii at Hilo (I know there are a few guys on this sight that go there), and University of Miami. Despite of the slim to none climbing opportunities, the warm weather and beach/sailing opportunites may be enough for me.

I am also still pursuing Humboldt State University as it seems like a good fit (although in a slightly diiferent league than Stanford).

Any other thoughts would be great. Thanks again for the help so far.

climbsomething

Aug 27, 2003, 2:27 AM
Post #32 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These kinds of threads are just opportunities to talk up our alma maters! :D

U of Arizona has an environmental studies dept and other related fields. It is pretty big... 35K students... but that means there's room for everybody. Sportos, motorheads, geeks, sluts, pinheads, dweebies, wonkers, richies... (heheh) The climbing is great when it's not on fire. And well, I go here. I like it so much I'm going on my 6th year! hehehe

While I can't speak for Northern Arizona, I CAN say that Flagstaff is just a rad town, and their climbing is even better than Tucson, nay, anywhere else in the state!

Good luck!

biggernhell

Aug 27, 2003, 2:28 AM
Post #33 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it helps any I have studied at both The University of Utah and an The University of Colorado at Boulder. I have also lived most of my life only four hours from Brevard NC. Here is the break down.

Brevard: Hot humid summers = No bouldering for at least 4 months out of the year, so/so Bouldering the rest of the year THE BEST whitewater paddling in the country(I ran a good class IV creek on the first day of August , really shitty skiing,As far as I know a lack luster education, Good mult pitch climbing, Most of it scarrry,KICK ASS mtn biking, only an average party potential.

Utah:Great bouldering only fifteen minutes away, Multipitch trad in about a dozen different canyons near the city, good sport in AF and Maple. Good Mtn biking. Moab is four hours, you can boulder at Joe's 12 mounths a year no matter what anyone else tells you, GREAT education, Mormons, BEST ski town in tha nation as far as I know, lack luster whitewater except in the spring, the place is cool enough that even the Mormons can only bring the party potential back down to average, close to the desert

Boulder: I'm there right now, Good bouldering close to town and lots of it, kinda too far from the ski resorts, but close enought to win best ski town in Powder mag last year I think, good biking, good whitewater in the spring, RMNP is only 45 mins away, sport routes everywhere, trad routes everywhere, multi pitch trad hangs literally over the top of the city, # 1 party school in the nation, GREAT EDUCATION, lowest body mass index in the nation = hot women everywhere,The ugly step father of modern bouldering John Sherman has a geology degree from Boulder.

Good luck deciding

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 27, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #34 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

um, not to sound overly serious about academia or anything, but i would recommend researching schools based on programs that you want. for example, what degree do you want and which schools have the best placements for those degrees. that is, which schools will give you the best post-grad opportunities.

Partner camhead

Aug 27, 2003, 2:46 AM
Post #35 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
um, not to sound overly serious about academia or anything, but i would recommend researching schools based on programs that you want. for example, what degree do you want and which schools have the best placements for those degrees. that is, which schools will give you the best post-grad opportunities.

hahahahaha!!! that's a load of BS, amber. Lord knows that I base MY academic decisions solely on the factor of location.

uhhh... yeah.

sustainedclimber

Sep 19, 2003, 12:52 AM
Post #36 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm well aware that I'm picking up an old thread, but just to tickle your brain even more...I chose my school based on location (and academics...) and I must say being close to what you love is key. I go to Middlebury College in VT, and for me, skiing was what I was looking for...but there are a few climbing areas around...I must say though, if you are looking specifically for a school with great outdoor climbing around the school, there are probably better places. COME TO MIDDLEBURY, IT'S AWESOME!!!

Partner calamity_chk

Sep 19, 2003, 2:14 AM
Post #37 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

hahahahaha!!! that's a load of BS, amber. Lord knows that I base MY academic decisions solely on the factor of location.

uhhh... yeah.

rolling on the floor!!!! hhahaha .. dude, you turned down davis .. ahahahhaha ... lol lol lol lol .. hahahahah.

personally, i'm aiming for a dual masters in religious studies and history from uc boulder if i can get the F out of tejas .. how much nerdier can ya get???!?!? heh.

dontfall

Sep 19, 2003, 4:23 AM
Post #38 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ehh, when I applied for Allentown Business School and got accepted, I was done looking. Didn't feel the need to look further nor the need to stress myself out.

trekker17

Sep 22, 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #39 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

My NEW List of Colleges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After continuing to spend a great deal looking for colleges, I think that I have came up with some serious thoughts. Here are my top two choices for colleges based on location and academic programs.

Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff
University of Colorado in Boulder

I should have no problem getting into these schools and both seem to be in prime location (possibly even within walking distance) for bouldering, climbing, and mountaineering. I also like that they both offer environmental studies/sciences programs.

I'm going to start filling out the applications and will send them in at the end of the week so any last thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

solid

Sep 22, 2003, 11:04 PM
Post #40 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Re: My NEW List of Colleges [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chicks in flag are hot.

dartmouth is my main choice. pimped.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)