Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Aliens VS. Zeros (KO in the first round?)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

tenn_dawg

Aug 19, 2003, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Aliens VS. Zeros (KO in the first round?)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, I tend to aviod asking "Gear Queer" questions such as these, but I need some responces with experience.

Who out there has climbed on both CCH Aliens, and the WC Zero's.

I'm not too interested in the smallest 2 sizes of the Zero's, but the bigger 3 that are comparable with the Yellow Green and Red Aliens. (I think)

I've climbed on Aliens, but never on the Zero's. In the store though, the Zero's feel like a real quality cam. I like the fully flexible stems, and the design of the cam head.

A couple of questions though.

Has the wider head width of the Zero's ever caused anyone to actually not be able to place in a placement where an alien would have worked?

The trigger wire system on the Zeros is kind of strange. The wires run through 2 "guides" then to the cam lobes. Has anyone noticed any bad points in this system? I imagine it may lead to broken guides, and fraying wires, but having not climbed on them, I can't tell.

And finally, anyone in the South East feel generious enough to loan me their Zero's for a couple of thin leads? I'd be glad to leave my entire rack at your disposal for whatever you needed it for. I'm quadruple thick in the hand/fist crack sizes.

Thanks guys,
Travis

tenn_dawg

Aug 21, 2003, 2:19 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Re: Aliens VS. Zeros (KO in the first round?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to do it, but I'm bumping this. I really am curious, and I've got the money to spend. If I wait much longer, I'll burn it all on booze and skanky women.

Travis

piton

Aug 21, 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey travis

i tried the blue zero cam out this past weekend. i think but not sure it is the same size of the blue alien. anyway i ended falling on the zero, problem is with the stem is real flexible which made the zero a challenge to get out. personally i like the aliens a little bit better.

good article on dynamic belay :)

nunyoboy

Aug 26, 2003, 7:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only real advantage the Zeros have over the Aliens besides being more flexible is that they dont lever out in a bottomed out placement. My Aliens seem to be holding up a little better than my Zeros.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook