RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

vertical_risk

Aug 31, 2003, 2:37 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Make it or buy it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Should I make a slackline system or buy one of the commercially advertized ones?

stuck

Aug 31, 2003, 7:02 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Re: Make it or buy it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to make you're own line, definately get at least a 50' foot length. My first line was 30 feet and after a while it became very limiting as to where i could walk. You may not be able to walk 50 feet now, but you'll be surprised how fast you improve.

I'll compare the options of buying a commercial line or making your own:

In my inexpert opinion, your starter line should have:
-60' of line (19 dollars)
-4 biners (28 dollars)
-two 10' tree slings which you will tie in a loop (6 dollars)

That will set you back about 55 dollars. When you're line wears out, you can cut it up and use it as tree slings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A deluxe Ethos Flatline is 75 dollars. It will do exactly the same thing as a homeade rig. The benefits of an ethos are:

- The sewn webbing will last longer (my line wears out where I tie the knots and clove hitch)
- You will not have to sacrifice you're current climbing carabiners or buy 3 or 4 extra
- No kinks, twists, or convex/concaves in the webbing
- pre made
- the ethos line also comes with a ratchet buckle which I believe will mainly keep you're tensioning system from slipping
------------------------------------------------------------------

The ethos line is slightly more expensive, but has all the parts and is easy yo use. Also, by buying from ethos you will be supporting the sport of slacklining.

A home rig is almost as easy to use, and more customizable. You can use the same line on different tightening systems (you will probably not want to on such a short line however). Depending on how long you want you're line you're not limited by options.

That's pretty much a comparison. I'm not an experienced slacker so you really shouldn't have read this post. It is full of information which will convfuse you. Check with therealbovine for good details.

zacrobinson

Aug 31, 2003, 10:17 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

make your own.

I just girth hitch the webbing around the tree and I got mine for $0.21 a foot.

I only use one oval biner ($4) and I can get any line up to about 35-40 feet plenty tight enough with that

and i use an old cardboard box as a tree-friendly ($0)

So that is a cheap $20 slackline

Any Questions just drop me a line
ZAC

vertical_risk

Sep 1, 2003, 1:18 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys!

phishy_climber

Sep 1, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Making your own is better than pre made ones in my opinion. i have a 100' line which allows me to setup almost anywhere and when the ends get worn you can cut them off and still have atleast 60' of walkable line left. I use the alpine butterfly on one end and on the other end i use a setup that i made up. I like making my own slackline because if something breaks i can cut it off or buy more webbing for cheap.

andrew

therealbovine

Sep 1, 2003, 6:15 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The whole topic seams funny to me. Kinda like when sticky rubber was introduced to climbers, to use or not to use chalk, and when Ray Jardine first introduced "Freinds". The pre-sewn rigs vs. the tie-your-own. It seems to me that people are just going to keep knocking the concept untill they are overwhelmed by the majority. Your question is a good one. Here are a few benifits of both, then you can decide.

Make it-
+ Cheap (not much cash up front)
+ Expendible (if it wears out, so what)
+ You can make a super long line! (pre-sewn rigs are typically not 100' long)
- tie and untie knots (sucks, and is sometimes impossible after used)
- Tensioning (how you gonna do yours?)
- More gear/Less gear (depends on your tensioning system)

Buy it-
+ No knots!
+ Stronger than tied versions
+ Tension system already figured out for you, and its simplified!
+ Adjustable length w/o tying knots
+ Minimal gear!

A question for you. I assume you are a climber since you are on this website. Do you still tie on your climbing harness, or did you purchase one? Why? Do you tie your quickdraws or did you buy some that were pre-sewn? Why? Do you do a hip belay or use a belay device like an ATC or Grigri? Why?

Why should your slackline be any different?

Best of luck

Sean Burns

fiend

Sep 22, 2003, 3:02 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't tie my own harness because the newer ones are more comfortable. I don't notice the knots in a slackline, I've got my setup down so that it's safe, customizable and stupid easy to set up... all for half the cost of a slackline kit.

Sewn slings for trad need to be slimmer and out of the way, so we buy sewn slings and have our old cams reslung.
Harnesses need to be comfy to catch big whippers, so we buy nice padded harnesses.

Slacklines are a cheap form of entertainment so why go all out on one?

I'm not knocking the slackline bros or ethos or anything they have to offer. I'd gladly buy a kit if I had that kind of cash sitting around, but for me, it's gonna stay the cheap version of discount webbing and bail biners. :)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook